TKR Signed for second TKR

Now day fifteen, at last I can do a straight leg lift, not quite straight but so happy for what I can do. I was rather scared during the first week when the leg would not budge, thought it might be permanent nerve damage. Progress slower than I expected but at last there seems to be hope. I have decided to pay for private physio starting in a few days time.
 
Hi Badbone,

I agree that there is a lot of information the proverbial “they” do not tell you prior to one’s knee being replaced!

Yes, the log leg sure is a “thing” too, and it is scary at first! With my first TKR I worried when it occurred, but for #2, I expected it and was prepared with a loose pant leg I could lift my log leg with!

Feel free to ask us questions that arise, too; most of us have been through what you’re dealing with, or we can refer you to a fellow traveler that has, who can offer information that may help.
I am 5 months out from #2 and mostly don’t think at all about my new… and straight…hooray… legs now!
 
Last edited:
Progress slower than I expected but at last there seems to be hope. I have decided to pay for private physio starting in a few days time.
This is a very slow recovery and you are coming along fine. I couldn’t lift my leg myself for a couple of weeks. It’s very normal for that to happen.

Physio can be helpful, but keep in mind:

Regaining our ROM, and recovering in general, is more about Time than repetitions of a list of exercises.

Time to recover.
Time for pain and swelling to settle.
Time to heal.

Our range of motion is right there all
along just waiting for that to happen so it can show itself.

In the general run of things, it doesn't need to be fought for, worked hard for or worried about. It will happen. Normal activity is the key to success.
 
Odd thing is the very painful cramp
feeling immediately after waking up. I can lie there with no pain but know as soon as I make the slightest leg move pain rushes in to the calf and thigh, a burning pain followed by a sharp ache. luckily this goes away in less than a minute, standing turns it into just a low background ache.
 
All part of the process. I remember in the early days standing up after being in bed and getting a feeling of liquid fire going down the inside of my leg. :yikes:
 
@Badbone, for many years I’ve followed an earlier PT protocol of leg stretches upon first awakening. I was so glad I could RE-start them at about 3 months out, although with modifications. One of these is where I lift my legs up at 90 degrees, straight up in the air, move my ankles about, then cross one knee over the straight other leg, so they make a 4 shape, which stretches the back of the straight thigh, down along the outside of that leg, and into the flutes as well.

I mention this because I had some early wake-up achy-ness and these stretches seemed to help. At first, my new knee leg wasn’t so happy being in the air, but as time has passed, it’s now loving it!

Let me know if I should find the sketches of these stretches that my PT did..stick figures, really…
 
Thank you BBCG, it is certainly worth a try. it's now 2:15AM, woke up with general pains in the leg. Sciatica is my main problem now, just cannot get comfortable. Keep looking for the Blue Pill to go back to before the op, the arthritic pains seem like child's play compared to this constant ache. Have physio appointment tomorrow, may cancel it as just do not seem to be progressing much since day ten. Time to lie down, try and get comfortable and expect to wake around 4:00AM. I am now on paracetomol and naproxen, next dose due 6:00AM.
 
It’s fine to cancel a physio appointment if you don’t feel up to it. All you need right now is gentle movements to give your knee mobility.
 
In a more positive mood now, Doc has prescribed more CoCodamol and start on Amitriptyline tonight to control the sciatica.
 
@Badbone, am so glad you have something to aid in the sciatica pain! I had it toward the end of my pregnancy with my daughter, and I recall it being worse than any other pregnancy issues!
I did cancel PT (physio) appointments, too, usually when the pain had resulted from them being too enthusiastic about me doing certain things. I never let them push my leg into any position at all! Ever! I had pretty strong leg muscles as I had worked on it prior so if she tried, I pushed back and said loudly, “No!” She stopped, by gum! It only happened once. But after a session with an alternate PT, who had me do leg presses forever, I hurt fit 3 days and stopped PT entirely at that place, the surgery center’s PT wing.
 
Just got back from my first Physio appointment. Seems I am doing OK, almost straight leg, 90degree bend at just under three weeks. Girl had me walking with only one crutch, trick seems to be to tighten the quads at taking weight on op leg. Actually I found I was more bothered by the old arthritic pain in the other leg rather than the operated one.
 
Badbone,
Sounds like your PT appointment went well, and you have found a way to make weight bearing easier on your TKR leg.
Which knee did you have replaced so we can add it to your signature?
 
It was the left leg. Watching myself in the mirror at the physio was interesting with one straightened leg and one still bowed. Feeling upbeat at the moment, hope I get a better night's sleep.
 
Once you get the other knee done and both your legs are straight, you should feel better.
Hope you get a good nights sleep. :sleeep:
 
Now almost four weeks post op. At last things are starting to get better. Managed about 100yards using only one crutch, no extra pain compared with using two. Can now walk a few steps without crutch. Sciatica still a problem but less so. Can fully straighten leg and about 100 degrees flexed. Starting to sleep better now, still wake in the night but managed to sleep until eight o'clock. Still have cramps on waking, wiggling toes before moving leg helps.
 
@Badbone - I don't know who recommended it - but I recently added "5s" in the morning before getting up and it helps make those first steps easier, pain-free(reduced?). Depending on how I feel, I may repeat the cycle more than once and I definitely do the other leg, too. Here's what I recall:
  1. 5 deep breaths
  2. 5 ankle pumps
  3. 5 quad sets
  4. 5 leg lifts
  5. 5 gluteal sets
 
Will try this tomorrow morning. I wonder what is actually causing the pain/cramp feeling when first moving in the morning. The muscles do not seem to get tight or knot up as in a more usual cramp.
 
Exercises first thing did not make much difference. Still painful thigh and shin on waking. What I do not understand is what causes the pain, no noticeable hard muscle as usual with leg cramp.
 
You are only about a month out from a major surgery that caused a lot of trauma inside your leg, not just your actual knee. Your surgeon did major carpentry work and disturbed every millimeter of soft tissue in this area.

It’s going to take months to really feel better. After watching a video of this surgery, many members have a better understanding of why they hurt.
 
Still painful thigh and shin on waking. What I do not understand is what causes the pain, no noticeable hard muscle as usual with leg cramp

@Badbone I have the same issue, mostly in my calf and the outside of the thigh. My PT says it's not from the knee, but from the leg straightening -- that those muscles are being used differently because of the realignment. He does soft-tissue work during our sessions and has recommended self-massage on the days I don't see him. I think it's helping, but I've only been doing it for a few days.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom