Guest viewing is limited

TKR Signed for second TKR

I literally had a light purple ring around my thigh from the tourniquet that faded fairly quickly. My thigh is still tender on the outside/back part and I will be 4 weeks post-op tomorrow. Your quad should wake up in a few days but it will be sore for awhile.
Deep purple bruising mainly inside thigh about six inches square. so glad to hear the 'log leg' is usually temporary. So at four weeks I hope you are past the worse. At the moment starting to think I was not that bad pre op, perhaps I should have waited for the miracle cure. I am normally an upbeat fellow so trying to keep positive.
 
Yes, 4 weeks is a LOT better than where you are now. You will get there! I'm up and doing very light housework here and there, raised toilet seat is gone, no walker or cane for me (everyone is different) and I'm tapering off my oxy and doing very small walks. But still taking Tylenol and Advil around the clock, icing and elevating all day and most of the night. I had many moments of frustration and crying because I was so dependent on everybody and hated not being independent. I still get tired and nap on my reclining couch at least once a day. Time and patience, you will get there. I had worsening bone on bone pain prior to surgery so I was very eager to get it done and behind me. Couldn't even walk my dog anymore as it was too painful.
 
Yes, 4 weeks is a LOT better than where you are now. You will get there! I'm up and doing very light housework here and there, raised toilet seat is gone, no walker or cane for me (everyone is different) and I'm tapering off my oxy and doing very small walks. But still taking Tylenol and Advil around the clock, icing and elevating all day and most of the night. I had many moments of frustration and crying because I was so dependent on everybody and hated not being independent. I still get tired and nap on my reclining couch at least once a day. Time and patience, you will get there. I had worsening bone on bone pain prior to surgery so I was very eager to get it done and behind me. Couldn't even walk my dog anymore as it was too painful.
Of course, being an unreconstructed man I have no problem accepting whatever help and assistance my wife can offer. Going to be hard to ween myself off that.
 
Do not know what that muscle is called but assume that is the one that has switched off as a protective measure.
It is the tibialis anterior, let your surgeon about this muscle not working. There is a nerve (Peroneal nerve) that runs around the fibula that is sometimes irritated during surgery. This muscle lifts your foot up to clear the floor or stairs.

Tibalis Anterior.jpeg
 
With an NHS op there does not seem to be any clear way of contacting the surgeon. I have a phone number to call but that just puts you through to the recovery ward. They are busy with a high turnover of patients so soon forget who you are. I will try again on Monday as not a lot of luck when I phoned and visited the ward on Saturday, I believe they may be running weekend teams to catch up on the Covid backlog. Sadly I found the heavily accented English of the staff difficult to understand, this probably says more about me than them.
 
Pain control medication. Now at day ten,still pain from thigh and calf muscles plus continual sciatica. managed 1/4 mile walk with surprisingly little pain, less than when sitting or lying down. I have taken the following each day-

Paracetamol 2x500mg four times day.
Dihydrocodeine ,2x30mg four times a day.
Naproxen 1x500mg twice a day.
Omeprazole 1x20mg once a day.
Aspirin 2x75mg gastro Res once a day.

is this a fairly normal dosage?
 
Please rename thread 'Badbone's LYKR'.

After eleven days things are improving.
At last the thigh pain and cramps have eased. Been worried as although I can lift my knee I cannot lift my shin forward so when sitting in a chair and trying a straight leg lift my foot just drags along the floor. Concerned some nerve damage. Thankfully I can now get my shin to move forward a few inches so hope that will sort itself out.
 
Hey @Badbone! I could not lift my leg for a while. It was like trying to move a chair across the room with my mind, no matter how hard I concentrated, nothing happened. Interestingly, I could lift the leg the day of surgery, then poof, no lifts though I was always able to wiggle my toes and pump my ankle. In hospital, I used the buddy leg when I had to get into and out of bed. When I got home, I fashioned a leg lifter that I kept handy for shifting position while lying or sitting and for getting into and out of bed. I don't know when the signal started to work again but one day, I just moved it without realizing I hadn't grabbed the leg lifter.

When I was able to lift my leg again, I was still unable to do a kickout - lifting the foot from the knee down. I'm nearly 4 weeks out now and all commands to the surgical leg are executed. The best advice that I received was "recovery takes time".
 
Went for a chat with the surgeon today. He seemed generally pleased with the progress. I can now just move my lower leg forward about three inches. He said he hoped for better but thought it would improve. I asked about the post tourniquet pain, again agreed it can cause trouble. He pointed out it was a necessary part of the surgery, it was not to control massive bleeding rather than needed as part of the bone preparation for the bone cement. He said they have to clean the inside of the bones carefully which involves scrubbing the surface to ensure the cement can flow into the tiny crevices for a good purchase. Important that blood does not flow back in contaminating the cement until it has set. It sets quickly so blood flow can then be restarted. Had the dressing removed and the little clips removed. That was not as painful as having stitches removed in the past. The scar is fairly smooth on the top of the thigh and kneecap then a little rougher.
 
Sounds like all is falling into place for you! Slow and steady wins the race.
 
Wow! I had no idea that was the reason for the tourniquet! Very interesting!

Best wishes on your continued recovery! :flwrysmile:
 
Yes, knowing the reason for the tourniquet has helped me accept the discomfort. At one point I was blaming it for everything, I could walk a quarter of a mile with crutches without any great pain yet as soon as I sat or lay down pain flooded into my thigh and buttock. On my last trip out I was more bothered by the arthritic pain in my, as yet, unoperated knee. That has reminded me why I had the op and started to give me some hope of a good outcome, only to be back under that constant ache at home. I now walk to get some relief. My days have settled into a six hour routine of a small meal, pain killers, knee flexing exercises, a two hour nap then walk, resting at home before the next six hour stint. Been waking every two to three hours so this fits easily into a 0600, 1200, 1800, 2400 rosta.
 
The scar is fairly smooth on the top of the thigh and kneecap then a little rougher.
Mine too. I wonder what that's all about.

I just started walking outside this week since my house is in the middle of a street with a slight incline. Before surgery, anything going down - stairs, ramps, hills - caused immediate pain. I think I'm still bracing for that pain when I take The Knee for a walk. I'm walking daily and am committed to extending that walk weekly. I'll follow your lead. :) :-) (:
 
Mine too. I wonder what that's all about.
I think the scar is more lumpy below the knee as the skin seems less well supported. on the unoperated leg the skin is smooth at the top, below the knee it is flabby, think old man's baggy knees. I suppose it is hard to do a neat job with the flabby skin flopping around, like darning an old distorted sock.
 
Although I am now at day fifteen after the TKR and doing as expected by my surgeon, may I share a few pre op preparations I wish I had done.
Start on anti constipation meds the day before the op, you will almost certainly have problems due to the pain killer drugs, do not wait until you are fighting constipation as well as the post op situation.
Make up a few blocks of different sizes to rest your leg on, preferably with a non slip bottom surface if like me you have laminate flooring. a few angled wedges help as you strive to find a comfortable position to sit and for when you are elevating your leg.
I was surprised by the 'log leg', whereby some of the muscles in the operated leg just refuse to work for over a week. I became scared there was permanent nerve damage, it seems it is your bodies response to a major injury prevent movement to stop further damage. It will improve, annoyed none of the pre op advice mentioned this worrying thing.
 
Generally with time those areas smooth out.
 
@Badbone
You'll notice I have copied your recent post in your pre op thread to your post op thread.
We prefer members keep their Post op posts in their Post op thread. That way you will have a diary of your recovery, and staff can look over your posts to better advice you.
Many members bookmark their post op thread so they can find it easier.
thanks,
Chris
 
Last edited:
@Badbone
You'll notice I have copied your recent post in your pre op thread to your post op thread.
We prefer members keep their Post op posts in their Post op thread. That way you will have a diary of your recovery, and staff can look over your posts to better advice you.
Many members bookmark their post op thread so they can find it easier.
thanks,
Chris
I actually intended this post to be in the pre op area, I was suggesting things that needed to be done and known about before the op.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom