TKR Signed for second TKR

I at seven weeks since LTKR. All seems well, of course still get pains, more twinges than agony. Managed a two mile walk with a break at cafe for a bacon sandwich. Now elevating and icing. During the walk I found my in operated right knee was hurting more than my left. I have been put on the list for a RTKR and have the assesment appointment at the end of November, possible operation before Christmas. Cannot say I am looking forward to it, those first two weeks were rough. Trying hard to strengthen the operated left knee so it can help with the new right knee.
 
@Badbone
Be careful trying to strengthen the operated knee, it is still early in recovery and healing. Give it the healing time it needs and all will be well in the end.

By the way, I merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread, as we prefer that members in recovery have only one thread.

This benefits you because all your information is in one place, easy to find, and maintains a nice journal for you.

This also benefits our staff, as your information is all in one place, and we often go back through your thread for previous details, so we know what you‘ve been through which helps us advise you better.

So, please keep all your posts in this thread. If you’d like a new title, let us know what you want, and we’ll change it for you.

Many members bookmark their thread in their computer browser, so they can find it when they log on.
How can I find my threads and posts?

Best wishes on your continuing recovery! :flwrysmile:
 
@Badbone
Be careful trying to strengthen the operated knee, it is still early in recovery and healing. Give it the healing time it need and all will be well in the end.

By the way, I merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread, as we prefer that members in recovery have only one thread.

This benefits you because all your information is in one place, easy to find, and maintains a nice journal for you.

This also benefits our staff, as your information is all in one place, and we often go back through your thread for previous details, so we know what you‘ve been through which helps us advise you better.

So, please keep all your posts in this thread. If you’d like a new title, let us know what you want, and we’ll change it for you.

Many members bookmark their thread in their computer browser, so they can find it when they log on.
How can I find my threads and posts?

Best wishes on your continuing recovery! :flwrysmile:
What is the recommended time between knee replacement. I had t
he left replaced on the 18th of September, will have assessment for right knee on the 30th of November. Beginning to think the left knee will not be strong enough to support the right knee before Christmas.
 
There is no recommended time between replacements, as with everything else in this recovery, it varies for each of us. If you don’t feel you’re ready for the next one it’s ok to wait. But, as the others said, doing them close together does work out.

Do what you feel is right for you. :flwrysmile:
 
A good two months since LTKR,. Walking without any aids, cane etc. Have a new pain down outside of shin, probably things getting used to no longer being bow legged. Had bad morning cramps, first for a few weeks. Missed the bus last week so walked a mile and a half back home, both legs aching the same. Trying to concentrate on the heel and towing. Doing the exercises the hospital gave me, some more painful than others. Seem to be stuck at 100degree flexion.
 
Missed the bus last week so walked a mile and a half back home

@Badbone That's a long walk! I'm also about 2 months out and haven't been able to walk more than a mile. Like you, I had an osteotomy because my leg was so badly bowed. I've noticed occasional shin pain as well. But mostly, I've noticed that my right leg feels longer than my left! I guess that will be evened out when I have the other knee replaced.
 
I’m sorry you missed that bus and had to walk home which caused you a lot of pain!

You don’t have to do all the exercises on that list. Don’t do any that are painful. Pain means you are not healed enough for that exercise yet.

The main purpose of the exercises is to give your knee mobility. Your knee gets mobility every time you move it, whether its while doing an “exercise” or just walking around your house, doing your normal activities.
 
Went out on my electric bike, only eight mile round trip with coffee and cake as the incentive. Felt good except I had to place my foot further forward than normal on the pedal as hurt at the top of the stroke otherwise. Wife happy we are starting to do more of the things we enjoy. Swimming next, although the thought of undressing and getting into the pool in November not nice, OK it's heated but.......
 
Well, that 8 mile trip is quite an accomplishment! :wowspring: What we will do for coffee and cake!

Rest up and treat your knee well for cooperating as well as it did!
 
Ten weeks on from LTJR, just been for the pre-op appointment to have the other knee done. Asked to have it done no earlier than four months after the first as I feel I need the first knee to be stronger. That knee seems to be coming along well, walking without stick except if I know I will be on my feet a long time. Pain is tolerable mainly in outside if shin.
 
Well, it's now day eight, came home on day three delayed as some bleeding from the scar. Managed a lap of the ward and up and down stairs with the type of crutches that grip your forearm. Most comfortable on day five, now seems worse each day perhaps due to the long term pain medication given during the op now wearing off. Sciatica in the hip of the operated leg seems to be constant, sitting or lying down, less so when walking with crutches.

My main concern is unable to do straight leg lift as the leg just pivots at the knee with the foot just dragging along the floor. When sitting I can just lift my thigh a few inches with effort and pain in the top of the thigh. Cannot get my leg to pivot up from the knee, no pain just nothing happens a bit like when the spinal med was wearing off. Being worried that there is some long-term nerve damage I phoned the hospital on day seven who asked me to pop on. They told me bruising and pain in the thigh may be due to the tourniquet used during the op. Did not have an answer about the inability to lift my leg, it was the weekend so no consultants were available. They did say if the pain got worse, got hot and red then to report to my local casualty as may be DVT. Feel like I have taken a new car back to the main dealer to be told to go see a backstreet garage. photo of leg showing marks of tourniquet just after op before purple bruising came out.

IMG_20210918_140622347.jpg
I used my good foot under operated leg to lift for a couple days until it come along. My bruising 4 days after surgery.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Signed for second TKR
    Right knee Surgery 1.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 117
Best wishes, @Badbone on your recovery. Yes, that log leg is very common and it's from the tourniquet. Your quad will eventually wake up and will work. Keep taking your meds around the clock, rest, ice, elevate and baby that knee. Don't worry about doing all those exercises right now. You have plenty of time for that later.
If not able to lift your leg is Log Leg, What do you call a Stiff Leg from Sitting with leg bent 90 degrees or stiff straight leg from Driving? Thanks in advance.
 
Went for a chat with the surgeon today. He seemed generally pleased with the progress. I can now just move my lower leg forward about three inches. He said he hoped for better but thought it would improve. I asked about the post tourniquet pain, again agreed it can cause trouble. He pointed out it was a necessary part of the surgery, it was not to control massive bleeding rather than needed as part of the bone preparation for the bone cement. He said they have to clean the inside of the bones carefully which involves scrubbing the surface to ensure the cement can flow into the tiny crevices for a good purchase. Important that blood does not flow back in contaminating the cement until it has set. It sets quickly so blood flow can then be restarted. Had the dressing removed and the little clips removed. That was not as painful as having stitches removed in the past. The scar is fairly smooth on the top of the thigh and kneecap then a little rougher.
I'm in Canada, surgery June 10, 2021. They do not use Cement anymore in my hospital. They used Tourniquet but did not ask why. I did watch the entire surgery, live. Very interesting.
 
Now at three months. Pain seems to be increasing in operated leg, general ache with pain down outside of shin. The numb patch on the outside of the knee beginning to bother me its the tingling at the edge of the numb area I don't like especially the material of my trousers rubbing as I sit down. Hopefully that will reduce. Had a bad nights sleep, waking with cramping pain.
 
It could be that your "toddler" knee is telling you to scale back your activity a bit. It is easy to overdo in the first few months even when it doesn't feel like you're doing much.
 
Been told the other knee will be replaced on the 31st January 2022 the day after my seventieth birthday! So no getting too drink that night, instead decided to have an official summer birthday like the Queen. Left knee is progressing slowly, walking up to a mile or so, no sticks. Does not seem to be any real improvement day to day, swelling if busy that day, sleeping OK. Often forget to take my pain and anti inflammatory drugs so somethong must be getting better. Only worry now is not to get Covid, they need seven weeks clear or they will cancel the op.
 
Just had right knee total replacement, about fifteen hours ago. Done with an epidural, I remember the sound of the bone being sawn last time so asked for more sedation. Do not remember a thing of the op so happy. Had me walking with a zimmer frame about four hours later. Have not felt so tired this time but pain now starting to bite, it is two in the morning so not sleeping, just asked the nurse for more pain killer so hopefully off to sleep soon.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom