Sibs in recovery

I am feeling good today! Muscle is less sore and lump on my back under incision feels smaller! No pain! Yay!! I am walking without crutches at home.

But I still feel stiff at the top where femur head is. I feel like I am walking on my prosthesis. Is that normal?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Last edited:
Normal...stiff means tight, tight usually means swollen. Put that ice on there....
Hey, guess what?
You ARE walking on your prosthetic...:wink:
 
Haha you made me smile Mojo! You are right! It just feels strange! Every time I step I visualise my metal hip moving along with my leg. [emoji188][emoji188][emoji188]

I put ice on it last time and felt even tighter :( like it froze my leg :)

Do you know what I have realised, you have been right from the beginning when you said it will all go away X


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Those muscles and tendons they scrooched around probably have most to do with it.
Sometimes nothing you can DO...just resign yourself that it's gonna be different for a while.
I had alot of folks reassuring me...oh my stars, I was a whiner.
Look at my old posts a month out and see how CONFIDENT I was...not!
You are doing great. That positive spirit is carrying you forward.
It's gonna get good!
 
My goodness! Mojo- I salute you. I am moaning a lot with a single replacement and you have done both OMG!! You are brave but well done. I have read 17 pages of your recovery post and will continue :)


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Brave? Wasn't I a wimp? I had fears and struggles...and plenty of good folks to talk me off a few cliffs.
It is a journey for all of us and I feel like we are all superheroes.
I believe you are handling things with a tad more grace than I.
But the theme in my saga...better every day.
Now, life is mine again.
You hang in there...
 
How would I know if the stiffness on very top of my front thigh is due to stem problems or a part of healing? I can not put my weight on my operated leg on the stairs when I go upstairs :( it almost feels like stem is too tight at the femur head :(


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
auploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20171124_51c22cdc17ce7a2be1abd9f05921ecb1.jpg


This is my xray a day after the surgery. Does it look like if there was a problem? My leg lengthened about 5 cm. Massive difference. Would the lengthening cause thigh pain do you think? I am petite so my legs are slim but I doubt it is anything to do with me feeling it tight.
I am exactly 3 weeks post op today.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm...@Josephine would need to address whether LLD would create that particular symptom. Sounds feasible...has the doctor addressed the difference and whether a lift for shoe is in order...when do you see the doc?
As I said, I had all forms of odd weirdnesses and concerns and they just came and went, thankfully.
Early early days for you.
 
My leg was shorter than other one before the op so my surgeon made it even.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Oh. Well then, it's certainly going to feel odd but I think it's just that...recovery adjustment.
Muscles stretching for new leg length, tendons ?
They did alot in there...really don't think it is a "problem" per se...
Certainly address with OS...that's what they get paid for, but I'm guessing just normal recovery junk.
Yay for two even legs.:chuckmarch:
 
See above? which one of us is a moaner!!! You were great on your recovery I think.

I am going to go into office for half day next week. I am missing being in the office. [emoji19] but recovery comes first obviously!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
You are doing just fine I think. And X-ray looks good to me...at least I hope so...looks like mine:heehee:
 
I am 4 weeks post op now! No osteoarthritis pain but muscle pain is really really uncomfortable :( i am hoping it is only a muscle pain. My skin is so tight at the top of my thigh and it feels like it is going to split. I haven't been doing too much either. I have tried to go upstairs with alternating legs couple of times that was it today. Urgh will I ever get better.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Yes it will get better. You are only four weeks out. Those darn muscles can just take awhile. It also takes time for all the swelling to go away. Are you still icing?
 
Hi there, @sibs
I'd really concentrate on icing that tight swollen area as often as you are able.
See if it makes a difference. And yes, you will get better. This can take up to a year, possibly even longer.
You are still in the very early days of recovery.
Best wishes for a nice weekend!
 
I only ice once in the evening. It makes it feel frozen though. Would icing give me a temporary pain relief?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I find ice helps with pain. Believe it is recommended for an hour several times a day.
 
Hi @sibs
Yes. Ice is a natural pain reliever.
I was constantly icing. Definitely do it more than once a day. If the cold bothers you try wrapping whatever you're using to ice in a thin towel. Hope that helps.
Enjoy the rest of your weekend :ice:
 
Yes ICE as much as you can stand it.
The muscle pain is very normal and I've found is the last to go.
Beats that old hip pain though.
Think Temporary!
You are doing great....ice and take it easy.
 
Back
Top Bottom