Sibs in recovery

I had lots of thigh pain-I think it is all related to how much stuff they had to do when they went in. I had let my left hip go way too long before dealing with it and I don't think they made his job any easier. Remember--they were pulling, cutting hammering. Bruising like ours starts on the inside and moves to the top. I thought my muscle would never forgive and one day it just did. I used lots of ice (on all parts leg, thigh, hip, knee). I also found doing heel slides in my recliner (just to move the leg some) also helped. You should be do to see doctor for post follow up soon. If it continues--bring it up, or if you are really concerned, give them a call. With what we pay for the hip we have earned a few phone calls!
 
I am not sure if I am expecting too much but the feeling on my thigh has been same as day 4. (Today day 9)
You are only days out of major surgery. Please do not stress over these symptoms - it's all a part of recovery.

Don't use heat anywhere near your incision. It's too early for heat there. Ice that knee and even your sore thigh. Your knee and thigh get grabbed and twisted when they dislocate your hip. This will settle. For now, just rest.
 
Thank you
I had no bruising up until today. It started showing behind my knee.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Yup - they grab and twist that knee. My knee the thigh hurt worse than any surgical pain post RTHR. I just iced and elevated that area. It will soon ease.
 
I am using 30mg codeine in the morning and before bed. I use paracetamol in between every 4 hours but it is not touching the way how my muscles on my lower and upper thigh feel
That's a very inadequate amount of pain med. I would suggest you take 60mg codeine and 2 paracetamol every 6 hours. This is the standard regime of pain meds for a hip replacement in the UK. I'm sure you will find this much better.

However, do be sure to take something for the old bowels as codeine is terrible for causing constipation! Read this to get some advice about preventing it Constipation and stool softeners
 
11 day post surgery

Thank you for keeping me insane! There is always improvement day by day. I have been on my foot a bit longer than I should this morning but I took it easy rest of the day. I *forgot* to take painkillers up until 4pm today. There is still a very stiff area on my upper thigh that i feel there is pressure and giving me numbness on my foot :( Is it something to worry about? Numbness has gone now after a thigh massage. No more bruising today


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Your were sliced open and power tools were used. Drill, hammer, saw.....
Your OS cut through tissue, muscle, tendons and ligaments.
That's why you hurt. Rest, ice, elevate, rest, ice, elevate.
Take your meds and you will get better.
Only 11 days out is very, very early into recovery. Hang on.....you'll get there.
To brighter days :spin::dancy::happydance: that will be you soon :heehee: @sibs
 
Hi
Thank you. My leg feels better but I have got very hard lump on top of my thigh. Is it called trochanteric bursitis? How can it be treated? I have got my first PT tomorrow. I am 2 weeks post op tomorrow


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Last edited:
Has anyone experienced Trochanteric bursitis after THR? I am not sure if I have to call my gp about it. I have got a small lump on my upper back where the femur head is. Also my top front muscle is really tight feels like a rock. Is this condition permanent? Is there anything I can do to treat? I have been icing and taking Ibuprofen regularly. I am 19 days post op
Thank you
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @sibs -I have read quiet a few posts on Trochanteric bursitis on this site. If you type it in the search button it should pull up many of the posts on this. Based on the number of discussions, I would guess it is not uncommon. I have seen Josephine discuss it based upon where one is experiencing pain. I am sure one of the moderators or advisors will chime in in the near future.
 
@sibs you will notice that I have merged your two threads together as we prefer that members in recovery only have one thread. This is the second time we have merged your threads. Please do not start new threads on recovery issues.

This is for three reasons:
1. if you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts others have left you in the old threads
2. it often ends up that information is unnecessarily repeated
3. it's best if we can keep all your recovery story in one place so it's easily accessed if we need to advise you.

Please keep all your questions and updates on this thread.

Regarding Trochanteric Bursitis - this is very common post THR. It is usually caused by doing too much. I would suggest not having PT now as this will only make the bursitis worse. Yes, go see your GP. They may be able to give you an injection to relieve this pain.
 
Sorry Jaycey, I feel like people can't see the question if it is in general recovery title. I will make sure I post on this one in the future


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hello @sibs I'll start again. Just wanted to put my ten penneth in about the meds. I'm 13 days after you, and I'm taking the meds just as Josephine advised and not having pain problems, thigh feels tight and a bit swollen but that's all. It does get a bit easier each day. I know the meds are hiding pain but I'm happy with that, just giving time for the surgery stress to settle down. Hope you get your pain under control.
 
Hi Tomgirl, my lower,mid thigh pain has gone now. (Thank god!) It is hard to believe at the beginning when everyone tells you it will all go away but they are right. I haven't been diagnosed with Trochanteric Bursitis yet. I have been reading a lot and decided that's what I think* I have :)
Are you able to move your log leg up? I remember that was so hard for me. My husband used to put my leg into bed [emoji15] I hated bathroom visits in the middle of the night but it is all better now. I dont think* I have got pain it is only extremely stiff now. Deep down I am praying that is a healing process and I dont have Trochanteric Bursitis. I am off to see my gp now. Lets see what she will say x


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Great news on losing that thigh pain.
Good luck with the doctor visit today. I hope it goes well.
You are still very early into the process. There is still so much healing to come.
Best wishes for a relaxing week of recovery!
@sibs
 
I am waiting to see my gp in the waiting area!
I am hoping this upper thigh pain will go away! I almost feel like I am standing on my prothesis! It is a strange feeling[emoji19]


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Good luck at your appointment @sibs and hope you get some answers!
 
Back from my gp! He said that my wound healed nicely and I can put weight on my leg without any problem is a good sign. He said that I am still in early stages of recovery. He didn't think that I have got Trochanteric bursitis! Lets see what will this week bring. There has always been improvement each day so I will wait! Now bed time rutines for my little ones


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Last edited:
Great report. My thigh pain stayed with me for months...all part of recovery.
Hope you have a Good Day.
 
Hi @sibs That's good news from your GP and great you have some improvement every day. The worst bit for my log leg was the first night home, in bed then trying to get up. Leg just wouldn't move but once hubby got me up and moving it wasn't too bad. 2nd night I slept with pillow under knees and that was much better for movement when getting up. It's not exactly pain in leg (thigh) it's just leg doesn't want to play. Is it telling me it needs more rest? But then if I was asleep all night, on my back in the same position for several hours then (my) logic tells me it's not gonna want to move. However it is getting easier, I test it every time I get out of bed and can now raise leg a few inches. Walking on it is OK, and I can when standing lift leg a bit from the ground. Not really complaining as I don't get bad pain and everything else so far so good. I can put my weight on it - gently! It's such a great feeling having these improvements. May they continue for all of us. Have a good day sibs
 
Back
Top Bottom