Guest viewing is limited

THR Shopping Trips

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those seats can be a challenge! congratulations on getting the stationary bike---is it an upright or a recumbent one?

I am a BIG mocha fan, as well---a couple places around her e serve excellent mochas---I treat myself to one every now and then!

Take it easy on the bike---you are wise to slowly add a little distance and resistance---no hurry to build it up too fast.

I am not sure where you bought the bike, or what kind of bike it is, but some places sell better seats that are more comfortable than the seat that comes with the bike. I also know that one can purchase gel seat-covers that are actually quite comfortable.

Have another mocha on me! I have one sometimes on the way to the gym---that way I can work it off!
 
Will be back on the bike today, with a small cushion for padding!! It's an upright one and wasn't too expensive. Just a basic one for up to 3 hours use a week it said on the label. Didn't have time to use it yesterday but I did go to the pool. I did around 350m plus the stretches and walking in the water. Had a little impromptu party last night too, with a friend I haven't seen for two years......tested out the new hip on my kitchen dance floor!!! Happy to say that I have no aches or pains this morning apart from a slightly thick head.....so happy to be able to dance again.

I think there's still a bit more exercise required to burn up the mocha!
 
hiya, i was just reading your post. yesterday i was in Lidl and so gel bicycle seats for about £5 i remember that it was a lot less than i paid. happy cycling
 
Did another 10 mins on bike today and clocked up 2.2 km which is an improvement on my first session. Pleased with that.
 
Well done Lisa! You are really progressing well now. Keep up the good work!
 
Lisa, I'm happy to hear you are dancing again!!! How fun!
 
The seat didn't seem quite as uncomfortable today. Maybe I'm getting used to it? I cycled for 10 mins again today and it seemed a lot easier to pedal with op leg. I peddled a bit faster too, I think I feel more confident than I did initially. I know now that nothing disastrous is going to happen and it's not going hurt. My 'distance' increased to 2.7km, a whole kilometre further in 3 sessions. I'm happy with that, so far I've had a little muscle stiffness but nothing major. After around 7 mins I could feel the burn. I'm thinking that I could increase my time to 15 mins next? I'm assuming that building up my time is the way forward, I wasn't really given any details at my 6 wk check except not to add any resistance.

My father in law came for dinner today and commented that I was walking better. That's great to hear. I'm not using any aids at all in the house now, just one crutch outdoors, although if I was walking for any length of time I might feel more confident with two just in case I got tired. A measure would be doing the park walk again with the dog I suppose.

Tomorrow I am seeing occupational health about my return to work plan. I'm too busy to go back to work! There are still so many things I haven't got around to doing ......it's going to because good few more weeks yet but I'm not missing work at all. I've caught up with a few people from my team and it all sounds as busy and stressful as ever - I'm enjoying a stress free time. The hardest decision I'm making at the moment is what to have for tea each day! I'm certain that I will need a phased return and will be using Jo's guidelines to negotiate this. I get mentally exhausted at work and won't be able to go straight back to 8+ hour days and be effective. Apart from phased hours are there any other things I need to request? Does anyone have any ideas?
 
Normally it's a good idea to build up your time by only a minute or two each day until you get to about 20 minutes. I wouldn't rush it just because it doesn't hurt or swell. Patience, patience, patience.......
 
Thanks Jamie, will take your advice......I am trying to be patient - honest!

I think I'm struggling due to the fact that I feel so much better than I used to. I'm getting around as I did pre op but without pain holding me back. I'm keen to do as much as I can to build the muscles back up particularly as I think it is the key to my (relatively) limp free life. I feel like I've plateaud and want results......and I want them NOW!!!!! Lol
 
What you're feeling is something that almost everyone goes through. It is hard to be patient when you've been in pain for so long and now things are better. You just want to be "YOU" again. It will come....and if you do overdo it (we all have), you'll know it because you'll get some pain and swelling. That will be your signal to scale back for a few days and then go at it again more slowly. Don't worry...you are doing fine!!!
 
My father in law came for dinner today and commented that I was walking better. That's great to hear. I'm not using any aids at all in the house now, just one crutch outdoors, although if I was walking for any length of time I might feel more confident with two just in case I got tired. A measure would be doing the park walk again with the dog I suppose.

Lisa Isn't it funny how you actually think you are walking not to bad mmmmmm denial, I am on one crutch outdoors as well It's like a safety blanket just in case.
You are doing great Lisa keep it going but take care.
 
Just increased my time by one minute to a total of eleven mins. Didn't go quite as fast as yesterday but still clocked up 3km.

Forbesy - not sure what you mean re denial?

Occ health later - bit scared, fear of the unknown.....I'm a bit suspicious!!! It's silly I know, the whole point of it is to support my return to work. I think its because I'm having such a nice time being at home.
 
I know how you feel about wanting to increase the time on your bike to strengthen your muscles. I use a cross trainer and could only manage 2 mins the first time!! I did 12mins the last time I used it. I did have a short rest in the middle. How unfit am I !! I haven't been on it for a couple of days as I'm still having problems with my knee and I have been icing and resting. I feel guilty that I'm not being proactive and I'm sitting around when I really want to get back to trying to get fit. Will leave the crosstrainer again today and go to aquarobics tomorrow.
When are you due back at work? I'm back after the Easter holidays. I have been into school a couple of times and it was lovely to see my class but even lovelier to be able to walk away after an hour!! I'm really enjoying the time off and in no hurry to go back. In fact this break from work has convinced me to leave permenant teaching in the summer. I will just do supply after that so I can work as much or as little as I want and not have all the other commitments that go with teaching such as parents eves and Ofsted inspections.
Cathy
 
Lisa, just take Jo's Phased Return to Work thread with you and stick to that plan. I am sure OT will cooperate. After all - you need to add value to the team - not add work.

Let us know how it goes!
 
Yes, JAycey I will take notes of Jo's advice.

Cathy. Have just read your update, was wondering how you were getting on. Shame about your knee, hopefully a few rest days will help. It is frustrating isn't it? I'm forcing myself to be patient , it's such a novelty to be pain free I just want everything to speed up now. I KNOW I have to be patient.........

I'm not due back to work until after Easter either. Was originally expecting to be back earlier than that but the hospital and GP are all being on the safe side due to my history, the complexity of my THR and that I work in a prison. I need to be totally steady on my feet or I could be very vulnerable. We very rarely have trouble in the education dept but there is always the risk.

How lovely that you are going to supply. I'd love to be able to work part time! I think you'll get the best of both worlds. At the moment it's not an option I can think about. I had the luxury of working from home and being totally flexible from my son being born to going into junior school. I worked for myself and could choose my own hours, holidays etc. My role now is fixed hours and they never seem long enough to get on top of everything that needs doing!! It's very full on and challenging so I get quite tired. I do like my job but I am appreciative of this time off.

Enjoy the park - it's a glorious day here.
 
Lisa and Cathy, I am interested to hear accounts of your fighting your way back to fitness. It seems to take a blend of determination and patience that I find difficult and it sounds as if you do as well. A very shrewd member of my then running club said: "It takes person the same length of time to get fit again as it took that person to get unfit, whatever the cause." I think he was maybe taking it from a high baseline, that is of a runner who suffers illness or injury or simply loses interest for a while, and then requires the same length of time to get back to the same point. We used to train on the 5% on off rule, which says that you should never increase your furthest or fastest by more than 5% in any one week and never do two hard days consecutively.

I so wish I had always followed that rule: it would have saved me a lot of bother.

I used to be a teacher as well. Not sure that helps much.

Good luck to both of you.

Alan
 
Blimey - I've got no chance then Alan! :snork: Took me about 20 years to deteriorate to my pre op state, be ready for drawing my pension by the time I'm fit :th_heehee:

I don't think us teacher types are the most patient of people when it comes to ourselves..........students - got all the time in the world for them to take it at the right pace for them, stretch and challenge, encourage etc etc....:THUMB:

Will take on board the 5% thing , although maths is not my subject, does that mean I can be excused?

The occupational health visit was a waste of time, employer's money and my very expensive petrol.:hissyfit: Bearing in mind that in not back at work until the first week of May, and I'm hoping to be physically further down the line by then, we could not really take the meeting any further than concurring that a phased return would be required, details to be confirmed nearer the time.

The weirdest thing happened though. She was asking me if I'd had any guidance formal physio, and when I started to tell her that I'd been given an A4 sheet of exercises of which I could only do half due to only being 50% weight bearing for 6 weeks, I started to cry!:cry4: I was really shocked that I was upset by that. I've put it down to not just being impatient but feeling a bit sorry for myself regarding the pace of my recovery .:blush:
 
What I keep saying. People who just see you standing up and walking about make the mistake of thinking that means everything is OK. We know it isn't. And it hurts sometimes.

Alan
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom