Guest viewing is limited

THR Shopping Trips

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmmmmm and I think I'm guilty of that myself a lot of the time too.
 
Ok......so I did the same cycling as yesterday.11 mins =3km and increased my swimming distance today......but did not stick to the 5% rule. Did my stretches etc and started swimming I felt really good and just kept going until the end of the session. My legs felt heavy when I got out but not painful or anything. I did however, feel really tired once I got home and have spent the afternoon resting. I even dozed off at one point......haven't done that for a few weeks. My leg is ever so slightly swollen so I've taken otc meds and will rest up tomorrow. Despite every bit of advice on here about taking it steady I just HAD to push it, nothing major I know but I just couldn't do it.......slowly,slowly,catchy monkey is my motto for the rest of the week. LOL
 
Your post has a great positive vibe about it. You are testing your limits and beginning to enjoy your new hip, but you are it sensibly. If you feel that you have gone a wee bit too far, simply rest for the day or tow. Listen to your body and allow it to tell you what to do.

It is a slow process, but you will attain your goal. Keep enjoying your reclamation of your life!
 


The weirdest thing happened though. She was asking me if I'd had any guidance formal physio, and when I started to tell her that I'd been given an A4 sheet of exercises of which I could only do half due to only being 50% weight bearing for 6 weeks, I started to cry!:cry4: I was really shocked that I was upset by that. I've put it down to not just being impatient but feeling a bit sorry for myself regarding the pace of my recovery .:blush:

Aww Lisa, you know that ups and downs are a normal part of the healing process. I also shed tears when with the physio one time (very embarassing), also at my perceived lack of progress. Don't worry though, I'm sure all the professionals are used to it. Looking back I think being allowed to feel sorry for myself sometimes was actually helpful, even if I did find it a bit shameful at the time. Holding it all in being brave is hard work so letting go occasionally isn't a bad thing.
 
Thanks for your support. I felt a bit daft but I think it was the surprise element that got to me. I'm obviously quite bothered by my perceived delayed recovery. It must be bothering me more than I'd realised.12 weeks seems to be the magic number in my pre op reading (pre BS obviously) , the truth is nobody really knows anything other than average times......

I felt bad for feeling sorry for myself when I have so much to celebrate. Anyway I'm over it and trying to be patient. Left off the swimming today. Did 3km in 12 minutes today on my bike- bit slower and then had a walk round the shops. Bought a bit of jewellery and a cardi for my trip to Spain at Easter.
 
I know how frustrating it is when everyone is posting progress and you are nearly there or past - and not feeling at all as delighted!

As you say - there is no timetable for recovery. No magic 6 weeks or 12 weeks or for that matter 1 year. We are all different and healing takes time.

You will get there Lisa! You are doing really good work on the swimming the cycle. I know it's hard to be patient. A little retail therapy sounds like the ticket! :th_heehee:
 
Thanks Jaycey. It's another glorious spring day here, there is blossom on the trees and the sun has been shining all day. I pegged my washing out for the first time this year and then went round to a friends for a coffee morning. We sat in the garden and it felt so nice to feel the sun on my skin. So that is another thing to thank my THR for......... had it not been for my op I would've been a work today!!! Lol..... simple pleasures
 
Another milestone to record....tonight I've been to the pub to celebrate a friends birthday and.......I WALKED HOME!!!!! I used one crutch and I think it is about 1 mile. I have no pain and I'm so excited. This is the longest outdoor walk I've done to date since I've graduated to one crutch. The husband is fast asleep and I want to share my excitement with him. The last time I attempted that walk was a couple of years ago when we couldn't get a cab on New years eve. I had my stick but still ended up with tears streaming down my face due to pain, and had to spend the following day laid up with heavy duty meds.

I've spent most of the afternoon on my feet, did my cycling and swimming this morning, 3km and 450m respectively and then the walk home- be interested to see if I've 'stretched and challenged' my capability or whether I've overdone it........time will tell.
 
Pardon my PUNishment here, but you are certainly taking big steps (ouch, that was a bad pun, too) toward your new and pain-free life.

You are excelling and moving forward and living life with the enjoyment that should go with it! When you go back to the pub, have a good draft for me, please!
 
Good for you! And if you have pain....just take a couple days to rest and ice and you'll be ready to go again. Everyone tests themselves like this to find the right balance between activity and resting when you're recovering.
 
You know what? I felt a bit stiff this morning, took a couple of paracetomol and ibuprofen and got on with my day!! My fears were unfounded.....I'vye been to the hairdressers ( up hundreds of stairs), walked around various shops in town looking for shoes for my boy, been grocery shopping and after an hour resting done my stint on the bike - it feels great! Less than 12 weeks ago I just wouldn't have thought it was possible for me to have travelled so far.

By the way, thanks to landlady, the bike seat was slightly more comfortable today as she told me that gel seats were on special at LIdl !

Jamie and Tim -thanks for your words of encouragement .I hope that if anyone is pre op and nervous reading this that it really is worth it, pain free life rocks!! H ubby's out to the pub tonight I'll ask him to have a pint for you- do you like British ale? I'll be having a nice glass of New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc with Bacon and pea risotto for dinner. Yum
 
Do I like British Ale? Well, no, actually, I LOVE BRITISH ALE. WE have a place down the road from us about 15 minutes where I can Brew British ale! I love the taste, and our grocery store has a fine selection of British Ales and beers. Please have your husband hoist one for me, if you will!

AS for the wine, my wife enjoys a Riesling or a Zinfandel ( I am not much of a wine drinker, myself, though).
 
Hi Lisa

Just reading through your posts, I'm amazed at how much you are doing, you're an inspiration, keep up the good work. Take care of yourself and don't push to go back to work to soon make the most of your time off. It's your 'me time'.

Kind regards
Viv.
 
Aw thank you Viv . Believe me I'm in no rush to get back to work and I'm thoroughly enjoying this time off now I'm over the worst! The most difficult thing is not to feel guilty because its called sick leave and I feel the best I've done in years! With my swimming, cycling, coffees with friends and retail therapy I've got no time to do a
a full time job. I'm starting to wonder if I'll remember how to do my job. LOL

I'm up to 14 mins now on my bike and clocked up 4kms today. So I've gone from 1.7km in ten minutes on my first attempt to this in 10th days. I'm really pleased with this progress and hoping they will be too at my 12 wk appt on Wed . I can pretty much do most things as I could pre op (but better with walking/standing because I'mM pain free). I can't yet comfortably reach to put socks on or fasten shoes on op leg- but that was a struggle pre op, it's difficult to go upstairs, still doing one step at a time- going down I can do normally. Other than that I feel like I'm back to 'normal' with the amazing bonus of being pain free. SO I consider anything beyond where I am now is 'added value'. If I can reduce my limp further I'll be delighted and that is my primary motivator. I will have very little time to myself once I'm back at work and I'll be exhausted so I need to make the most of the next few weeks.
 


I can't yet comfortably reach to put socks on or fasten shoes on op leg- but that was a struggle pre op, it's difficult to go upstairs, still doing one step at a time- going down I can do normally.

If I can reduce my limp further I'll be delighted and that is my primary motivator. .


All of these will come with time. Just wait; soon, "pain-free" will be absolutely normal and putting on socks, tying shoes, and going up the stairs will be just a routine activity with no thought before or afterward.
 
I love the names of the ales, some weird and wonderful ones knocking around. More and more pubs now have the more obscure ones on draught as guest beers but I prefer not to experiment at the pub and stick to either white wine or Guinness.:beer2::cheers_wine: We tend to buy our beers from the supermarket and are more adventurous then. My hubby's favourite is Spitfire, the same brewery make Bishop's Finger :th_heehee:
 
Lisa, I too am loving the time off. I get a bit panicky too that I will have forgotten how to teach!! I'm really pleased to see my class when I pop in, but just as pleased to be able to say goodbye and walk away with no responsibilities. I' beginning to wonder how I ever found the time to work what with swimming, walking and being a lady who lunches!!
Cathy
 
You never forget how to teach! It is your life, and you live to teach. I know that everything will come back to you as soon as you go back to the classroom full time.

Now, as for me, I am off to school---Romeo and Juliet today for some, speeches for others, and in my Cinema class, we are in the comedy unit.
 
I love teaching and would have no problems remembering that side of things. A few years ago I started on the management route and last year got promoted to the actual manager of the whole contract. This meant I put off my THR for some time while I got the hang of the nitty gritty and understood the requirements of the stakeholders......the contract is worth an awful lot of money. We deliver approx 700 hours of education each week and reach about 450 prisoners in various ways. The guy who is caretaking for me is very capable but I'd not long had time to make my mark before my op. I don't actually have any teaching hours any more. I miss it but enjoy the challenge of management. It may be something I go back to in the future who knows? I've always worked with post 16 groups though. I admire those who can work with the younger ones! What age groups do you work with Tim?

Like you Cathy , the lifestyle is suiting me at the moment.......I wonder how long I could stick it before boredom sets in? Unfortunately I don't think I could do my job part time or I would put a request in.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom