THR Shopping Trips

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm really lucky as I job share a Year 3 class. I'm stopping work in the summer and planning to do supply so I can work as much or as little as I like.
I agree, teaching is a bit like riding a bike. You never forget how to. do it I know I will only need to be in class for an hour or two and it will seem like I've never been away.
Cathy
 
I couldn't imagine doing anything else. I often wounder how other people---some of my very good friends---work in a cubicle all day. I love my classroom, as it is a second home to me. I get to watch my students grow more than many of their parents do.
 
Just sitting in the waiting room for a twelve week post op check......hoping for further restriction lifts and to wow them with my cycling and swimming progress! I stopped smoking on the day of my surgery and I'm pleased about that too. As a consequence my sense of smell has heightened no end.....there is someone in this waiting room who absolutely reeks of stale cigarettes - yuk.
 
hiya, i am glad its not just me who can smell a smoker 10yds away, i gave up smoking 15 months ago i absolutly hate the smell. i upet my sister the other week and told her she stinksm she s on champix tablets herself now. lol ps goodluck with your appointment
 
Had another xray and had my ROM checked, including crossing my leg over and knee up to my chest. I asked for specific exercises that would strengthen the muscles I need to build up after years of walking with a rolling gait and she showed me 3 to do. I'm to continue with either one crutch or my folding stick when out and about until these muscles are stronger to prevent the new style 'lesser limp' becoming entrenched. All in all everything is going to plan. I'm also to continue with my swimming and cycling. My eyes filled up when I was asked if I had any pain and could say no.......

The one thing I didn't check was the 90 degree restriction - I'm assuming it will be lifted now as I put my knee up to my chest? Will phone and check I think. I'm hoping so as then I can rid my living room of the floral wing backed chair on elephants feet raisers that has been my seat for the past 3 months, the toilet seat, the feet under the bed etc etc....and maybe even get in and out of the bath tub!!! (Forbesy - will have one in your honour if I get the nod)

I really felt the difference today regarding how much progress I've made in the past 6 weeks since my last visit there. I have a 'lightness' about myself mentally as well as being physically so much better. I wanted to tell those in the waiting room at their pre op consultations how marvelous it has been for me so far! I didn't......I spent some time reading on here....didn't want anyone thinking I was a nutter lol.

I took a photo with my phone of my xray on screen to show my mum. She hasn't seen one since I've been old enough for her not to come to my appts!
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Shopping Trips
    ForumRunner_20110330_143738.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 181
Enjoy your first bath. I love having a long relaxing soak in the evening. Sounds like you are doing well. Really pleased for you.
Cathy
 
Excellent news Lisa, you really sound happy, I'm really pleased for you.

Isn't it just so good when things go well. :yay::yay:
 
Thank you ladies...yes, I am happy. I feel very grateful to have had a successful result. My life has improved so much already. I've done my new exercises for my abductor muscles already and can feel they work!

How are you doing Kim?

Cathy- I'm looking forward to a nice bath with lots of bubbles. Could do with one tonight after my new exercises! I left a message for the OS secretary to find out about the 90 degrees for me.....fingers crossed.
 
hiya, i am glad its not just me who can smell a smoker 10yds away, i gave up smoking 15 months ago i absolutly hate the smell. i upet my sister the other week and told her she stinksm she s on champix tablets herself now. lol ps goodluck with your appointment

I moved seats in the end! I figured it was the bloke sitting behind me ....he stank like a wet ashtray. Mind you I didn't like the smell when I did smoke either. A big bonus of not smoking is that I'm saving money and can spend it on treats!
 
Using this thread as my own progress record as much as anything else, kind of like a diary. It helps to read back and see the distance travelled if I feel a bit despondent.

Yesterday I decided to do a bit of spring cleaning. I felt fine apart from I didn't feel 100% comfortable kneeling, then I wondered if I ought to be doing it at all? I was less than gracious getting up again! What was a great though, at the end of the afternoon, I felt tired and achey everywhere EXCEPT my left hip!

I also turned up the resistance slightly on the exercise bike yesterday and coped well. I can tell my leg is getting stronger as going upstairs is easier. Going down is fine now- can do that normally but tending to go up one step at a time still mostly. Tried normally yesterday and it seemed much easier.

The new exercises I have really highlight how weak those particular muscles are. Not sure what the names are but it's moving my leg out to the side.....They are a real struggle! Also, standing on op leg and kind of 'shrugging' good hip, I just cannot balance AT ALL. I know this is due to years and years of not using them but I did feel quite disheartened .

Missed swimming this week due to clashing appts. I can't go today either as my son had a fall yesterday, his wrist and hand is swollen and not improved overnight so taking a trip to a&e shortly to get it checked. Poor baby.....:0( hope he's ok. I hate seeing him in pain and sad.
 
Wonderful news Lisa

Enjoy your bath, in fact you might even feel like taking a glass of champers with you to celebrate, your achievements are great and I often find myself going over your threads to motivate myself.

I know what you mean about smoking, many, many years ago I used to be what you would term a social smoker, I liked a ciggie with a drink, believe it or not, I didn't start smoking until my 20's. I managed to give up after 5 years, then I used to hate it if we went out for a drink as I could smell the smoke in my hair and clothes.
Keep up your good progress.
Best wishes
Viv.
 
Using this thread as my own progress record as much as anything else, kind of like a diary. It helps to read back and see the distance travelled if I feel a bit despondent.
That's what we like members to do. Thank you.
 
That's all good then, thanks JO.

And Viv - thank you for your kind comments.:0)

My day has not gone to plan today unfortunately as I've spent a large part of it at a&e with my son bless him. He now has his arm in plaster with a suspected scaphoid (sp ?) fracture......we go back to the clinic on Monday.

Almost a day off my rehab today......Done my exercises and meant to go on my bike but got waylaid by a pina colada!!! Of for tapas soon with girl friends - fun time Friday! Hic!
 
Oh your poor son. How old is he? Mind you, the pot can be a badge of honor, especially for boys, so I hope he is at least an age that he can enjoy it in that way.

I'm fine thanks Lisa. Managed to get a cheap second hand excercise bike the other day, so I've been doing that a little. I'd like to be able to say I'm rediscovering my thigh muscles, but I can't seem to manage more than about 2 minutes so far before my hip starts complaining. I'm being a good girl though, stopping when it hurts and just hoping that eventually I'll be able to build up to longer.
 
I have made quite a few trips to the
ER with my kids. I am sorry to hear about the possible fracture...I have been there as a parent, too. Let's see---stitches, fractured wrist on daughter, stitches on son, badly sprained ankle on son---it takes its toll you on just sitting thre and waiting.

In November I had to take my wife to the ER as she wa diagnosed with Viral Meningitis.. I left when they did the spinal tap...

I hope that your son heals quickly and completely without any complications.
 
Note: for 'pot' read plaster cast! Local colloquialism! Plaster of Paris is made out of chalk which is also the base material for china and earthenware crockery. Hence the term 'pot'!
 
Oops, sorry, I forgot about "pot" not being universal, I typed it without thinking, Jo's right, I did mean plaster cast. :thumb:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom