Guest viewing is limited

THR Shopping Trips

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,
are you all saying I'll be able to walk in a store again without being hunched over and in pain?

Yep, we're saying just exactly that!!!
 
It was great to hear about your positive shopping experience I'm two weeks post op(rthr) and gaining confidence every day.It's so important to stay positive and keep your eyes on the prize(to coin a phrase)For me it's all about getting my life back,'getting back out there in the world and just living.I stumbled upon this site today and can't tell you how encouraging i've found it.

Welcome, Mrs w....so glad you found BoneSmart and decided to join. I'm also pleased that you have already found the forum helpful. Why don't you start a thread of your own and tell us a little more about yourself. We'd love to know you better!
 
I love semi-sweet chocolate or a dark chocolate. Hershey's over here is good, but a I had an English semi-sweet dark chocolate (I cannot remember the name!) that was honestly heaven on earth.

Tim C.

I think your semi sweet chocolate is what we call dark chocolate? Was it Green & Blacks? That is quite a famous brand.

Lisa
 
Just want add my girlfriend's experience. After her hip revision last year she was desperate to get out. She was born with a rare muscular disorder and recovery was not easy, With the help of a new pink scooter and her loving husband we took off to the mall. She had a fantastic time being out and about, while I was totally exhausted. If you are able to do it, go for it and enjoy it.
 
Lisa, it is wonderful just to be independent after depending on people for everything. I too love being able to go out. At first I would just drive with the radio blasting. I am in Arizona and the weather is beautiful for driving. I got really tired of having my husband take me everywhere. I am going on 3 months and everyday is better. I am getting less tired. The only problem I find are the public toilets! The sits are too low. Good luck to you.
 
You know, I can't even remember the last time I went shopping - the pain really has made adjustments in my life in so many ways. I shop for almost everything online now, I used to go to the grocery store for one big load a month and once a week I'd pick up fruit and milk or whatever. Now I go to the store every few days because I can only handle a bag or two, getting in and out of the car stinks so it means I get one errand in and that's it for the day.

I don't really miss shopping, come to think of it, but I wonder if I'll feel differently when I actually can!

Kerry (impatiently waiting on my tax refund so I can buy a cool new web tv for my recuperation!) (shopping online, of course)
 
Congrats Lisa!! I believe retail therapy can help a lot but mainly its about the freedom. You could talk peoples ears off about being able to accomplish this and unless they are a hippy, they just nod but truly they dont understand.

Its a big deal every time we regain any type of freedom, normalcy to our lives. An awesome feeling!

I am not a huge shopaholic but occasionally I have to get my fill! I can remember pre op that just thinking about having to grocery shop was torture. The looks from people while I was limping or using my crutch and then to have to hunch over the shopping cart would actually make my back ache!

I am now free of all that and I can outlast my 10yo daughter in shopping excursions! Took her shopping last night for her birthday and spent 3 hrs on my feet! Didnt have to push a cart either! But she was definitely ready to go about an hour before we did leave.:th_heehee:
 
are you all saying I'll be able to walk in a store again without being hunched over and in pain?

That and much, much more Renate! No more planning ahead and searching for that place close enough to the door so you don't have to walk miles. No more thinking can I make it through this trip without a place to sit. :dancy:
 
Haldox - it is so much about the freedom. Believe it or not I'm not really a shopaholic! I have spent so long having to plan and think, as Jaycey says, every time I left the house about parking to minimise walking etc. I used to put up with the pain in order to make essential shopping trips - long gone were the days of window shopping and walking around for pleasure.

Shopping was the only mobile activity I had left in my life really and therefore it has had to be my point of reference in my recovery. I knew that pre op I would be in pain by the time I got to a certain stage in the supermarket, after pushing the trolley around for X amount of aisles I would be in severe pain and so on......an hour on my feet would mean agony for the rest of the day - and this was with resting and medicating. There was always some pain it just got worse after being on my feet. This is the freedom I now have and I still keep thinking that it's temporary......one day I will wake up and it will be back to 'normal' because normal for me was discomfort - I know that's silly but so far I'm still in the novelty stage. :hapydancsmil: evangelical almost!

I can't believe I waited so long and wish I'd been mentally ready earlier - so much of my life wasted....................onward and upwards :happy dance:

Lisa
 
That's a fact - we all waste so much time dithering!
 
I went to the grocery store today---I went to the gym first, and then stopped by the store for some much-needed groceries. I am not sure how you get your lunch meat, but our deli counter makes you take a number, which is fair, so there are nor line cutters.

anyway, I looked at my number, saw what number was being served, and wheeled away to get some of the shopping done instead of standing there with what appeared to be 1/2 of all humanity. Got some done, checked back, and got my Bavarian ham for my morning omelets---no wasted time! Then on to the meat department, and then back to the produce aisle for salad fixings.

Picked up some Egg Beaters (no cholesterol) and butter, went up and down the aisles---my darling wife was surprised at how quickly I got everything done---and I even bought her a bouquet of flowers, too.
 
What a guy!!! We need to clone you, I think!!!:loveshower:
 
Another milestone reached today. Just spent a couple of hours wandering around Watford shopping centre. First outing without crutches or stick!!! Even managed the numerous flights of stairs back to the car. No exercises for me today as I feel I've done enough. Felt great to be walking without a limp. Met a friend and when I said I'd had a new hip she was amazed it was only 7 weeks ago. Didn't buy anything .
Cathy
 
Wow Cathy, a shopping centre. Now that is hard core! An advanced milestone. Well done - time for some rest!
 
Wandering can be a great time, especially now when yo are getting better and better all of the time. Your recovery is indeed amazing and your life now can be truly enjoyed---which is certainly what you are doing.
 
Impressive stuff CAthy! Shopping centre for a couple of hours without aids or limping is fantastic! Even more impressed that you didn't buy anything!

I've been pottering indoors this week without anything but I really need a lot of work to build up my muscles if I want to be (almost) limp free. The good thing is my limp is not due to pain as it was before. Not been on any shopping trips apart from the supermarket - boring. But still a novelty not having to plan for pain.

Swimming again tomorrow .....been my focus of the week. Going to the family swim with hubby and son.

Take care
Lisa x
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom