Guest viewing is limited

THR Shopping Trips

Status
Not open for further replies.
Boring is OK right now. Things will get better and improve as you get stronger! Soon, this ugliness we call March will end, and spring will be here---golf, outdoor activities, cycling, will all be so much more enjoyable because of your new hip!
 
I feel a little bit in limbo now. I've been told I will need a THR at some point, but who knows when, could be 1 year, could be much longer. What I do know is, I'll have to suffer more pain before I get there, which is a bit daunting and can get me down if I allow myself to think about it. ...if you can put up with 20 years of pain, I can put up with the many fewer years I need to wait. It made me realise there is light at the end of the tunnel and I will get a more active life back one day, even if it's going to get a bit darker first.

Kim, tell me again (you may have mentioned it before and I just didn't catch on) why you feel you must wait to have your hip replaced???? Your need to suffer isn't making much sense to me.
 
Lisa, Thank you so much for sharing your positive story here. One of the things that got me down since my op was having to accept that I'll need a THR at some point in the future, but I'm going to have to let it get worse first. If it's getting to me, I'm going to come back and read this thread again, because knowing that even after 20 or so years of pain, you've come out the other side feeling so good, that is really comforting and encouraging. Thank you. Really, thank you.

I, too, would like to know why you need to wait so long? Too often people have said, "I wish I had made this decision sooner!" I was luck; I saw what needed to be done and my ortho didn't make me wait.

If your quality of life is suffering, and you are also suffering in pain, why wait? Work to reclaim your life.
 
Kim, tell me again (you may have mentioned it before and I just didn't catch on) why you feel you must wait to have your hip replaced???? Your need to suffer isn't making much sense to me.

I would like to make a quick point on this...

The Dr told me at my 4 week recheck that because I waited so long he also had to hammer and chisel away two bone spurs during the surgery. Because of that he has recommended I take the extra time to heal if I have it available.
I did deal with this for 9 years when back then an ortho surgeon told me "some day you'll need a hip replacement".

When I went for my first appointment in early January to talk to my surgeon about a replacement he simply said "it's time...just depends on how long you want to live with this. If it were me I'd like to enjoy the next 25 -30 years without the pain".
I asked the doctor, "Will I be able to walk nine holes of golf with my wife again?".
He replied, "Pain free".
I looked at him and said, "sign me up then".

So Kim, if it is possible for you and you are in a lot of pain, think twice about holding it off. I am only six weeks out from surgery but have lost the pain in the joint itself - just dealing with the surgical pain and rebuilding all the muscle back up - all the typical healing process.

Good luck-Joe
 
I have just spent over half an hour tapping away on my phone to post to you GUm.......but when I hit submit it disappeared.:0( .......I was trying to put my case into context and basically said don't put it off if you have any choice......hindsight is a marvelous thing I'd be on that table years ago! Maybe tomorrow I'll have another go at my post but use the pc.

Take care :0)
 
My situation was that having congenital hip dysplasia, osteotomies, frogs legs plaster casts and other surgery as a child, followed by further problems/surgery as a teenager I was told at the age of 19 in 1983 that I would need a THR, but I needed to wait due to the fact that I would probably need revisions and it would be complicated . The OS was a highly respected professor at Wrightington ...........fast forward to my mid 20's further surgery required.........similar advice given by OS in 1995 as I was discharged following recovery from complicated surgery.......he basically said youl'll need a THR but leave it as long as you can.......so I did!!! Literally. With hindsight I don't think I should've waited quite as long as I did as my quality of life had deteriorated so much due to debilitating pain.

I'm generally a confident person, not afraid to speak up for myself nor do I suffer fools gladly. However, I'd been told to wait by experts who am I to question what they'd said? Knowing what I've learnt from this forum perhaps I should've bit the bullet earlier? But how do you decide when enough is enough?

My operating surgeon became so by chance. In 2007 I'd dislocated my shoulder and he saw me at the follow up appointment .....took a great interest in my hip history and hearing that I'd had no xrays done since 1995 decided there and then to get some done. he explained to me that his area of interest was hips, especially complicated ones! He gave me a full consultation there and then and basically said that he would write to my GP whenever I felt the time was right he would take me onto his caseload. OVer the next 2 years things got worse and I eventually accepted that I couldn't put it off any longer. But even at the clinic for my actual referral appointment the docs will not make the decision for you. I remember them explaining all the risks etc and how, in my case, they would be doubled- me and my husband were given all the info but it totally had to. be me that said let's go for it. The minute I'd made up my mind the wheels were put into motion. the. OS said that is made the right decision etc etc..........it was just as if they couldn't be seen to persuade me.

I genuinely didn't know whether I was 'bad enough' to be ready. I had nothing to compare my pain too........if only I knew a fee years ago what I know now. I probably wasn't ready mentally ( due to previous surgery going wrong I had issues) but if a doc had said to me that he thought the time was right I would've gone with it. I just think that it had to be your decision . I have no doubt that if I couldn't have put up with the pain and pusohed for surgery earlier I would've got it.I was being a good patient and waiting 'as long as I could'. Being on the other side I wish I'd don't it earlier . I have an eleven year old son who doesn't remember me being able to walk any distance without a stick and pain.......

Gum, don't be a martyr to the pain if you have any choice whatsoever to have THR sooner rather than later just go for it. It's a big decision and not to be taken lightly but life has to be for living......please don't suffer if you can avoid it. sorry for rambling, I've tried to pot a complicated story- hope it. makes sense and I get the sentiment across. excuse the typing as I'm using my phone in bed!
 
I found it!!

Like I said sorry about the quality of the typing.....it's late and it is heartfelt. Night x
 
Excellent post, Lisa. No one says it like someone who has been there.
 
Kim, I'll chime in with encouraging you to go for it as well. I too waited too long - although quite by accident. By the time I had my THR the joint was totally gone.

Waiting only means a longer and more complicated recovery. I agree with Tim - reclaim your life!
 
Have just read your post on another thread Kim , you say your OS has said you need to give it 12 months minimum.....I'd use that as a guide.....if you aren't feeling relief from your pain then on the bright side you only have a year to put up with it........or there are other surgeons who might think differently if you don't want to wait. Your call.....good luck
 
Kim, tell me again (you may have mentioned it before and I just didn't catch on) why you feel you must wait to have your hip replaced???? Your need to suffer isn't making much sense to me.

Well it's a little complicated really. I've had a hip arthroscopy because the xrays and MR arthrogram didn't show anything much, but 2 different OS's both agreed there was something not right. During the procedure they found FAI (cam impingement) which was filed down to take away the lumpy part, and also early OA. I have one small part down to bone and another larger area blistering away from the bone. But so far only in the socket. The down to bone area was treated with microfractures and the blistered part was heat treated to try and shrink it back (I think that's what he said).

Before my 6 week check up I was hoping that he'd say now the impingement problem has been mended, the cartilidge damage would stay stable and that would be that. Sadly it isn't like that, he said once there is degradation of the cartilidge it will continue, although maybe slower now because we've got rid of the wear and tear issue from the impingement.

However, the microfractures need time to fully take effect. Microfracture is still relatively new technique and I understand the jury is still out on whether it's as effective as we would like it to be. Apparently it takes 6 - 12 months for enough scar tissue to build up be effective, and it doesn't work in all cases. When it works, it acts like an artificial, although naturally produced cartilidge replacement, not as hard wearing as the real stuff, but it can buy some time before the inevitable THR. So, even if I begged him, he said he won't do a THR until after we've waited the full year to see what the results are. He did say there's a fairly high conversion rate to THR within 2 years after microfractures, but I don't know how bad those people were before they had the procedure.

I've now learned that the road to recovery for my particular issues is a long and slow one. The pain I'm feeling in the hip now is still partly from the microfracture and impingement repair sites (according to the OS anyway), and I could be getting improvements for up to a year. After that, we'll have to see.

Anyway, the upshot of all this is, I have to wait a full year to see what happens. It maybe that in a year I'm better than I was before the op, so obviously there'll be no rush for a new hip. However, either way, the OS reckons the OA will get worse gradually, I will feel more pain, and then I can ask for the THR. It's part blessing and part curse to know it's mild at the moment, but that it'll get worse before I have a lovely shiney new hip. And I have no idea at all about the time it takes to get worse, and no one else seems to know either. I don't know if it's likely in 1 year, 2 years, 5 years or even more. No idea at all, and that's also a bit hard. For goodness sakes, I know this isn't a death sentence with an undetermined end time, so I do feel a bit idiotic letting it get to me, but it does slip into my thoughts when I least want it to. I suffered a really severe post natal depression after my youngest was born, it lasted 4 + years and I have to work pretty hard sometimes to avoid that slide back down into the black abyss (CBT is the best thing ever!), but when there is something that looks decidedly dark in front of me, it can be harder to see the positive, which is why I like Lisa's story so much. She had much worse problems than I do, and look where she is now!

I don't want to waste the next few years of my life being this person waiting for a dodgy hip to be fixed who just happens to be called Kim. I want to be Kim, who just happens to have a dodgy hip that will get fixed one day. If that makes sense.

And now back to Lisa, sorry, I didn't mean to hijack your thread. I thought of you last night when I turned over in bed and my hip stuck briefly but painfully and it helped knowing it will get better one day.
 
Ooh, just saw your reply above Lisa, I took so long typing that you'd posted in the meantime.

Yes, you're right actually, I don't have to wait more than a year if I don't want to. I must remember that.

Goodness Lisa, you are an inspiration aren't you. :flowerysmile:
 
Thanks, Kim. That was an excellent explanation and now I understand where you are with all this. I copied it into your primary thread just so we can all keep in mind what you've been through up to this point.

Lisa.....sorry I got your thread off topic....we'll keep it back on track now.
 
I don't think we were off thread really......not like we were talking about recipes and how people talk:snork: It's all interesting stuff and who knows how many people can identify with all the different issues popping up and who we could be helping in the long run?

I have kind of reached a plateau stage in my recovery anyway so nothing exciting to add. Although I'm only really using one crutch most of the time now, I do keep forgetting to pick it up when I'm at home! I'm working hard on my exercises at the pool trying to build up the muscles I think I need to prevent the limp. Next step exercise bike!

Generally I'm more or less doing normal stuff now (as pre op) but pain free and it's obviously going to be a marathon rather than a sprint to develop my life into one that isn't limited by pain, if that makes sense? I'm thinking that once I'm off the crutch and start discovering my new limitations then I'll be trying things I'd gradually stopped doing.........just like the dog walking, little walks on our camping trips, walking to the pub, strolling around on days out, dancing ........it's quite hard to think of the kind of things I might do actually! Any ideas??:scratch: That could be a game for the social room.....A-Z of post operative activities:th_heehee:

Kim - I'm really flattered that you find my story is helping you.:blush: Keep positive, don't let the black dog in.
 
Lisa....I love your idea of a game. I'm going to post that in the games room!!! Fun.
 
It's there now so post away! I put my two cents in.....
 
I noticed today while swimming that I am faster than I was last week. I'm holding a float and just kicking with my legs. I can feel the muscles working as I do it. About three quarters of the way along a 25m pool I start to grimace. LOL no pain no gain.

Jamie you may notice that my things to do post op are quite adventurous, I wonder how many will be ticked off in time???
 
I hope ALL of them will be possible for you, Lisa!!! Go, girl!!!
 
Went shopping again today.......this time for a stationary bike!!! This, along with swimming was suggested to me at my 6week check. Initially when I looked at them it was very difficult to push my foot around and peddle. That was 4 weeks ago. Today I just got on and could pedal relatively easily. I had thought that at least one of my friends would have one lying around, being used as a clothes horse. But no.:0( .........had to get my purse out. Once it was assembled I cycled quite steadily for 10 mins, no resistance . According to the gadget on the handle bars this took me 1.8 km. This used 170 calories.....wonder how many were in the fancy mocha I had at the coffee shop while out shopping? Lol

I can feel a little stiffness creeping up now......and boy is the seat uncomfortable !!! Is it something you get used to or do you have to suffer?

Anyway, I'm pleased I got it and looking forward to increasing my distance.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom