Guest viewing is limited

THR Shopping Trips

Status
Not open for further replies.
What does Watford look like these days? It was a bit of a dump when I used to visit there in the 70s!
 
What does Watford look like these days? It was a bit of a dump when I used to visit there in the 70s!

Huge shopping centre with all the major chain stores. The main High Street is still a bit of a dump. Full of bars and pubs. It's packed with youngsters of an evening so best avoided. Ok for a day of shopping.:THUMB:
Cathy
 
I am very happy that you are now able to enjoy the activities in life that are certainly meant to be enjoyed! To many, they may seem so ordinary to some, but to those of us who have had great pain (and even greater restrictions) this simple activities are a reminder of how joyful life is meant to be!

Shopping, browsing, and being out with others is a great part of life that is certainly meant to be enjoyed, and you are able to enjoy it quite nicely now!
 
Wow, Cathy!!! I'm impressed too! You're doin' just great. Keep it up. Be sure and rest in between these marathons...okay?
 
At the risk of repeating myself (already posted some of this in my 'exercises in water' thread) here's my progress update.......No shopping for me apart from groceries (see, that's 'normal' for me now :snork: I'm getting blase!) for the past couple of weeks but I have been walking at the park. We have had lovely weather for the past few days - quite cold but beautifully sunny. At the weekend I went out with my hubby, son and the dog - something I'd given up doing due to pain. I'm pleased to report that it was the first time I've had a pain free walk since we got our dog in 2007!!! It was a beautiful, crisp, sunny day, the ground was covered in crocuses - glorious. We strolled around in the sunshine for around 40 mins and it felt great .....back to the car, no searing pain, still a novelty.

The best thing was my 'reveal'. I have been really concentrating on heel to toe and trying to walk without a limp. My OS said he thought the surgery may lessen the limp I've had for the past 20+ years. I've still got a long way to go but I can manage practically limp free with one crutch - soooooo pleased and excited. Anyway, my 'reveal' was to show my hubby how my practise is paying off by walking virtually straight for approx 15 ft unaided. He has never known me not to limp and I have got worse over the years we've been together. It brought a tear to his eye. As you can imagine I'm feeling very excited about the prospect, still got a lot of work to do but I'm determined to do my best.

I had 3 eleven year old boys to look after yesterday (don't ask!) Usually in this situation I would've just let them play on the play station and fed and watered them. However, being pain free and another lovely day, I decided we would go to the park. We arranged to meet friends and while the boys played football my friend and I had a stroll in the sunshine followed by a hot chocolate - yep, a stroll!!!!! I just can't get over how exciting it is to be able to walk about without suffering. I also showed her my 'new walk', she was impressed. I feel like a child with a new toy.

It's almost 9 weeks since my surgery and it seems like an age ago since my 6 week appointment and some restrictions being lifted. I got my freedom back once I wasn't just 50% weight bearing and could drive. All that seems soooo long ago. I feel like a fake being off work still because I feel so good. I understand my body is still healing e.t.c. I just feel so great compared to pre op and not having that horrible pain.

This leads me on to confess that I have lost my BS 'virginity' today :biggrin: At the swimming pool this morning I got chatting to a lady, she asked why I was doing my exercises........anyway, she has a sister who suffers terribly with her knee but was under the impression that she was too young to have it replaced because she's too young. I put her straight! I told her that was a misconception, all about our forum and to pass the details on to her sister. There you go I'm spreading the word.:friends:
 
Lisa, you made my day. What a lovely update! So happy you are getting out and about - and walking without pain! :yahoo:
 
Hiya Lisa, I am so jealous of you, I can t wait to be pain free, the butrans patches are nt doing a lot for me but i ve only 9 days to go for appointment at Wrightington. Please keep the updates coming as it makes me feel there is a light at th end of the tunnel. PS did you get anything nice at the shops.:blush::blush:
 
Hi Lisa, what a wonderful recovery for you. Don't you just feel younger now with the new painfree life and better walking? I'm very happy for you.
Talking about crocuses: we got 30 cm + of snow last weekend!
 
I'll look forward to reading your recovery stories soon enough. It will be worth the wait and there is definitely light at the end of the tunnel. I remember being very scared but excited at the same time once I'd decided the time was right. Once you've made the decision you just want it to be over with. It's nice to be able to share these stories with people who appreciate and understand .

Renate - I hope we are done with snow now....I used to be housebound when bad snow and ice hit us. We just aren't equipped for it in the UK. I couldn't walk if it was slippy under foot. If the road was too icey to drive my car without skidding that was me indoors for days. I had to work from home for a week in December. Do you notice I'm speaking in the past tense here? Hoping that next time my hubby and don go sledging on the park I'll be able to go too!!! Up until now I've only been able to hear their stories and look at the photos.

Landlady - I went to wrightington one time, years ago, it was THE hip place when I lived in those parts. My dad had his hip done there a few years ago and my aunt a few weeks ago. Her OS didn't give her any restrictions, just to be careful. Who are you going to see? Do you know how long you have to wait for op?
 
Ps yes I do feel younger! And excited about opportunities opening up to do things. I'm hoping to be more able to exercise and in turn lose some weight......hee hee do you think I'm expecting too much?
 
You'll be proud to know that - being a guy - I did my first 1/2 hour walk at the 5 week mark out at the mall. The only store that I stopped at to take a quick little break was at Scheels to check out the golf shoes. The mall makes a great walking place and can set goals daily as to how far I can walk by the stores I pass by.
Great to see you are doing so well and I hope next week for my 6 wk mark I will also feel so much better :snork:
Joe
 
Joe - I'm at the same point as you(5 weeks). Are you able to walk a 1/2 hour w/o a cane or crutch. I visited my OS today and he gave me the okay to walk w/o my cane and I can only handle about 100' or so. That's a good idea about the mall- I think I will head down to Coral Ridge Mall as they have a Scheels also.
 
Lisa, your story was so touching....the part about your hubby having never known you not to limp.....I got a tear myself. Hon, this is really what joint replacement is all about - making miracles!!! Thanks so much for posting such beautiful words.
 
That 100' will build up and you will go farther and farther---soon, there will be no limit!

Shopping and browsing---even spending some money---can be great therapy!

And travlelne 1---soon golf will be truly enjoyable again---treat yourself to a new pair of golf shoes!
 
Loving how you guys are enjoying walking in the mall and window shopping. :happy dance:

It's a very sensible place to practise; nice flat surfaces, indoors, you can stop and start at any time for a rest if required and you don't look odd because you are looking in a shop window.............and obviously you can kill 2 birds with one stone by treating yourself while you are there. Whether your treat be golf shoes, a book to read or just a nice sit down with coffee :coffee:and muffin enjoy it, the days when you had to plan in coffee stops for a sit down and a rest because of the pain are gone!:egypt-dance:

Keep up the great work :WINK1:
 
Lisa, Thank you so much for sharing your positive story here. One of the things that got me down since my op was having to accept that I'll need a THR at some point in the future, but I'm going to have to let it get worse first. If it's getting to me, I'm going to come back and read this thread again, because knowing that even after 20 or so years of pain, you've come out the other side feeling so good, that is really comforting and encouraging. Thank you. Really, thank you.
 
Aw Kim - I came over all emotional reading your post.......................:flowerysmile:

Thank you
 
Lisa, the positive stories are always good to read. Even if there's a set back along the way, if we can later see it improves, it can give hope to those who yet have to go through the same surgery.

I feel a little bit in limbo now. I've been told I will need a THR at some point, but who knows when, could be 1 year, could be much longer. What I do know is, I'll have to suffer more pain before I get there, which is a bit daunting and can get me down if I allow myself to think about it. Your story made me quite emotional when I read it all, especially your husband saying he'd never known you without a limp until now. Wow, that's big!

So if you can do so well after all that time, so can I. Also, if you can put up with 20 years of pain, I can put up with the many fewer years I need to wait. It made me realise there is light at the end of the tunnel and I will get a more active life back one day, even if it's going to get a bit darker first.

Thank you again.
 
Dave,
Glad you're coming along well. Yesterday was the first real day without my cane and plan to try a short walk without it. Great idea to head out to the mall as it is fairly easy walking and it gives you many options if you get tired etc. Were I am in Wisconsin it is just starting to warm up but much snow on the ground yet. My worry last week was any ice spots at this time of year so for me the mall works. Last monday it snowed so I asked about using our treadmill and they told me 15min no incline which I did - boring. Anyway - keep up the great work.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom