THR Shopping Trips

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure what Psoas is?


Sarah Psoas is short for iliopsoas- if you read back a few pages on my thread you'll see all the details.....but basically I overdid things last June, had iliopsoas tendonitis that wasn't shifting and ended up on crutches again Oct.
 
Hi Lisa,

I did go back and read more about it on your thread, I also went back to your beginning I thought I had read it before, see senile moment! I giggled over your reasoning behind shopping and the fun banter with the guys that was very funny! We are twins on the smoking journey....congratulations it such a big deal to stop that at our ages!

Bye for now...

xxooxx
 
Sarah, many of the things you ask about are in the Library. Just look in the Library index
 
Just a clarification, if I may...

The iliopsoas are a group of hip flexors, made up of the iliacus and the psoas muscles. Psoas is not, as you say, short for iliopsoas. Rather it is the name of specific muscles within the iliopsoas group.
 
Great report, Lisa!!! So happy to hear that the handsome doc was pleased.
 
Sorry Josephine!

The last couple of weeks I've just been a super duper chit chatty, playful and asking lots of fun questions. I do love the library you know by now also adore the information I get from Bonesmart! Love and appreciate.....thank you.

I really have been completely full of myself! In a very nice way promise, cheeky too!

xxooxx
 
No need for apologies. Twas just a reminder, not a chastisement! :wink1:
 
Just a clarification, if I may...

The iliopsoas are a group of hip flexors, made up of the iliacus and the psoas muscles. Psoas is not, as you say, short for iliopsoas. Rather it is the name of specific muscles within the iliopsoas group.

Thanks Alex, I wasn't too sure.
 
You learn something every day hey? :blush:

So what's the big tendon that lifts your leg up? That's the thing I'm having problems with.
 
I don't know. Tendons don't lift things. They just attach muscles to bones. The actual motion is achieved by the muscles.

Are you saying that you have iliopsoas tendinitis, Lisa? That would be inflammation of the tendon that attaches the iliacus and psoas to the femur. (If I weren't on my phone now, this is where I would include a couple of images.)
 
Okaaaaay.......I thought the thing I was feeling was the tendon- obviously not.

The soreness I feel is central to my thigh, right at the top where your leg joins the torso, kind of in the 'crease' bit. When I raise my knee it feels quite hard and 'sinewy' and that's where it hurts......??? That's what I thought was 'the tendon'.
 
You are describing the spot where the iliopsoas tendon crosses the inguinal ligament. If the tendon is inflamed, you will get a sort of sharp "bite" as the tendon hits the ligament when you flex that hip.
 
Alex,

Does the iliopsoas tendon go underneath of the inguinal ligament? If so then if there is iliopsoas inflammation can it aggravate the inguinal ligament (meaning cause pain & tightness in the groin area)?

Staff edit (tag): @alexthecat:

Thanks,
Cardie
 
The thing you have to remember is that inflammation is rarely confined to one structure. What affects one muscle or ligament affects all the others close by. So while you might have significant issues with the ilio-psoas muscles, it doesn't mean there won't be any referred pain and/or inflammation to neighbouring structures. We're talking about a space about the size of a grapefruit here.
 
Cardie, that's a little speculative and I really couldn't say.

I completely agree with Jo's explanation above. Soft tissue irritation tends not to be confined to one specific point in the body.

I'm also thinking of something else that Jo has said many times:

Everything is connected to everything else.

It is very common for irritation in one place to cause pain in other parts of the body, even if there doesn't seem to be an obvious connection between the body parts involved. This is especially true after THR, when there has been a lot of disruption of soft tissue during surgery. It can take a long time for that settle down. While that is happening, it's not unusual for people to experience pain in other, non-hip places and the exact cause of that pain may not always be easy to determine. It's also not always that useful to worry about because hips have a way of sorting themselves out in the end. (More wisdom from Jo, though probably not an exact quote. :wink1:)
 
Thanks for the reminder about the interconnectedness Jo & Alex.

Seems that the groin tendon is often an issue mentioned on the forum with THR and it is just so bothersome and inhibiting of activity.

....still waiting, waiting for that sorting out of the hip....
Cardie
 
absolutely right for sure. I have illiopsoas issues and an injection has really helped a lot but I still have pain around the back, side, etc..from time to time. My first OS told me that if that illiopsoas gets fired up, it can hurt all over the place. Of course, there as also a feeling in my case that the MOM is causeing some pain, but if I have learned one thing about hips, when the soft tissue gets inflamed, you can feel it just about everywhere. I have noticed that some of the other pain I was having has gone down some and the injection is no where near where that pain is. Hopefully, it will sort itself over time. I don't know about your case, but in mine, my OS will consider releasing if the injections don't work and it remains chronic. I have been reading up on that and it does seem that it works for most people who have it done. Plus it can be done with scope which makes it waaaaay less invasive. Tis a last resort but one I will absolutely push for if mine comes back the way it was. I had this type of surgery on my elbow 14 years ago after 2 years of chronic tennis elbow and it worked like a charm. I feel your pain though..it is hard to be patient when you are in pain that naggs at you. Many of us out here are there.
 
Talking of everything being connected to everything else......Happy to report that at long last I got my specialist chair delivered to work:yes 4:

It was all set up and adjusted by the delivery guy for me and I'm really pleased with it as I had been getting a lot of lower back ache, particularly around the sacroiliac area. I also have a sloping document holder that slides up over the key board forcing me to sit properly while I work. I can tell a difference already after just one week.

It has a 'split-pan' seat which allows for either side of the seat to be lowered at an angle, reducing the pressure from under the thigh.This is a great feature as is the rocking action I can switch on or off.

Another development this week is that I've not needed to take any meds for my iliopsoas problem. It's still not totally disappeared but not so uncomfortable that I feel like I need pain relief.

The downside of this is that I'm realising how sore my shoulder is :DOH: Up until now I've nearly always taken daily pain relief, pre-op for obvious reasons, post op pain relief then the psoas started.................I dislocated my shoulder 4 years ago and it gets sore sometimes but whoah! Has it been sore the past few days? The combination of the weather getting colder and dropping the pain meds - ouchie! Back on them this morning:cry:

My appointment for physio has come through already! I'm due to see the PT 8th Feb so hoping to start making progress with building up those butt muscles.

I've been very busy of late with various things so not posted much but reading threads as much as I can to keep up to date. There's so much action going on here these days you can't afford to miss a day:biggrin:
 
Hi Lisa....

Your chair sounds very groovy....I Like!

Thank you for reminding me about not over doing things with the PT, there seems to be a consistant theme going with people over doing things around the 7,8,9 + week time frame!

Ouch on your shoulder, hope that calms down soon. You dont think of that while taking the pain pills it is probably hiding over aches and pains.

Have fun at PT :)

xxooxx
 
Oh, This is horrible, I don't like shopping unless it sewing store, flowers shops or shopping for sweets in Hawaii. It took me over six years to find a sofa I liked. Come to thing I like to go to Pet stores also. Glad to hear you are feeling back to shopping, I'm not there yet. However everyone keeps reminding me of things i still need to do. In time we all will be doing all the things with our new replacements so we can walk circles around everyone else. :yes 4:Tashia:doggieshmooze::egypt-dance:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom