THR Shopping Trips

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also have a new concern and wonder if anyone has any advice please. I'm experiencing soreness on my outer thigh, close to the lateral incision area. It feels bruised but isn't. It doesn't hurt all the time but when I move my leg it feels like a pulling sensation, I've had it for about a week now and it shows no sign of getting better

Sorry I have been away so long. I have been following the post and glad to see so many doing so well and also we are here to support all the newbies.
January 31st will be my one year anniversary. I had a great year with progress ~ was able to golf and walk nine holes with no pain, I was able to bike up to 25 miles toward the end of the year. Things are great.

However....on Dec 9th I think I overdid it when I hauled up all the Christmas stuff from the basement (many trips up and down the stairs) and that same day we were shipping back a piece of furniture which weighed about 80lbs and my wife and I lifted it into the car and then again into the UPS truck when I helped the driver. I began to have pain along the outside hip down the thigh. The hip near the incision began to get puffy and when I called the nurse she said that is fluid building up and also told me the I band that runs along there may have developed tendonitis. She also told me that may take about 4 to 5 weeks to start feeling better.

I am a letter carrier and it was hard to find any time to rest it during the Holidays, but it is starting to feel a little better now. The hip area is STILL tender to the touch. I also had alot of tingling in my thigh which kept moving from front to back and never stayed in one area too long. Just wondering if anyone has had THAT problem of tingling. Anyway~ the nurse basically told me I may be overdoing it....any thoughts from others out there on this? From what Lisa has been saying and others have replied, it may be a commong thing.

Thanks and Happy New Year to all you hippies!
Joe
 
Thanks Alex I hadn't seen that section but will be delving in now! Happy New Year btw :cheers_wine:
 
Ah Shugaplum! Our little star! Wish she would come back and post some more pictures - she did promise to .....
 
Joe....what you're experiencing is fairly common. You more than likely have strained something and now you're paying the price. Give it some time and see if things improve. You can take Tylenol and/or ibuprofen to help with the pain and inflammation.
 
Thanks Jamie.
The nurse did say to take an Alive at breakfast and one at supper and also a Tramadol after supper for any pain which does help. Everyday does seem to get a little better, I guess my biggest fear was with the tingling.
I guess it's like I suggest to those who just had a replacement..give it time.
Joe
 
Just to let you know that my attempts at stretching are nothing like the pics................my belly seems to hinder my ROM :hysterical:

I have booked a holiday to Egypt for the summer and my goal is to have lost some weight for then ready for the beach and my new year's resolution is to generally improve my flexibility and fitness.

Does anyone else have hypermobile joints? I'm just wondering how prevalent it might be amonst BoneSmarties?

2 more days to my 'hippy birthday' and one year as a non smoker!:yes 4:
 
Two GREAT reasons to celebrate!!!
 
Fantastic Lisa, well done, as Jamie says two significant life's events to celebrate :thumb:
 
A trip to Egypt, how awesome! Here's to the hope that your belly will slim down so that you can do Alex's twisting stretches and be ready for the beach!

So, what do you mean hypermobile joints?

Happy Hip Bday and congratulations of the year without smoking!! :thumb:
Take care,
Cardie
 
I trained with a lass who, when she stretched out her arms (as one does perhaps, when yawning!) and her elbows would hyper-extend to about 20 degrees! I always found it a little yukky!
 
My mother has hypermobile wrists.

[Bonesmart.org] Shopping Trips


She broke one of her arms about 30 years ago and she is still, to this day, upset that she never regained the hypermobility in that wrist. :th_heehee:
 
Cardie - in case you hadn't gathered hypermobile joints mean that you are kind of 'over flexible', in the UK it's sometimes referred to as being double jointed. There's a 'test' called the Beighton score, one point for each of the following:

Placing flat hands on the floor with straight legs
Left knee bending backward
Right knee bending backward
Left elbow bending backward
Right elbow bending backward
Left thumb touching the forearm
Right thumb touching the forearm
Left little finger bending backward past 90 degrees
Right little finger bending backward past 90 degrees


I score 9/9! My mum is the same. It can affect people in various ways, some more serious than others. My balance is affected, I often walk into things and I find it difficult to remain still. Having the CT scan prior to THR was extremely difficult!
 
Happy Hip-day!! Egypt, what a wonderful holiday idea. I went there 2 years ago and it was really nice, just loved seeing the pyramids!!

Congratulations on a year as a non smoker, that one deserves a standing applause!! :yahoo:
 
There's a 'test' called the Beighton score, one point for each of the following:

Placing flat hands on the floor with straight legs
Left knee bending backward
Right knee bending backward
Left elbow bending backward
Right elbow bending backward
Left thumb touching the forearm
Right thumb touching the forearm
Left little finger bending backward past 90 degrees
Right little finger bending backward past 90 degrees

Well, now I need to know what one gets with their points for the flexible joints in the UK??? :hysterical: Ok, sorry -- yes, I have heard of being double jointed...

Have a nice day,
Cardie
 
I wish points made prizes:th_heehee:

One year anniversary -Been a strange day......not felt as I thought I would, I have been feeling quite pensive. My stomach was quite 'churny' this morning as my thoughts kept going back to how I was feeling this time last year - extremely scared and nervous. As I was going through my morning routine, getting ready for work all my emotions were coming back to me and I got a little teary. It's happening again now, as I'm typing...weird. Obviously, some deep stuff going on in there!

Anyhow, isn't there a song 'it's my birthday and I'll cry if I want to'?

Have got a relaxing weekend planned with my husband and my son, we have a movie to watch this evening and I think we will go out for a celebratory dinner tomorrow. Have a great weekend everyone :thumb:
 
Oh I got one point! I can very nearly put my hands flat on the floor with my knees straight!
 
Sorry you had a teary anniversary Lisa. Just goes to show there is still healing going on. We recover both mentally and physically. The whole experience is so much trauma - just give it time.

Glad you are going out to celebrate!
 
Jo, good for you! I can bring both hands to the floor as well, but only after years of yoga and Pilates. I'm not jealous of you though. At least, not too much! :wink1:
 
I can do five of nine. Elbows, fingers and floor. When I was about 7 the neighbor boy fell on me and my elbow went backwards, fracturing it. I can now move it further back even more then the other one. It probably went backwards because of being double jointed.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom