THR Shopping Trips

Status
Not open for further replies.
Boo - it's snowing.:cry: Coming down fast and covering the road. The only thing good about snow is that it looks pretty.

I'm supposed to be going out tonight with my girl friends to see a band and do some dancing :egypt-dance::egypt-dance:. I really hope I still can - it's my belated hippy birthday boogeying night. The band play all kinds of soul and motown covers - just perfect for dancing.

If it ices over or the road gets slippy because we live at the bottom of a hill I usually end up housebound. If cars are skidding around and I can't drive I'm usually stuck. I have never been able to walk if it's slippy, I don't know if it will be the same post op?

Two things have always stopped me going out in it in the past:

1) severe pain when walking used to kick in immediately - must've been due to holding myself differently - so I'm thinking that won't be happening any more

2) the absolute dread and fear of falling and doing myself some serious damage- but now I'm even more scared of slipping and hurting myself because I don't want to damage my hardware - is that silly:scratch:

One of the things I'd been really looking forward to was being able to walk up to the park in the snow and watch my son and his friends sledging on the hill. I thought it would be something I would be able to do this winter. (That was until I saw my OS in Oct and he more or less said if anything happened to the implant there was nowhere else to go with it ........)

I got myself some seriously sturdy boots earlier this year in anticipation of the snow - might see how they feel and if I feel confident walking in them I'm going to go for it! I've never been out playing with my son in the snow and I really want to - just once.

Fingers crossed it won't last long and won't ice over - it's fine when it's nice and soft. :snows:
 
Hi Lisa,
There is always next winter, I know it sounds so far off, but you are still early in your recovery so be careful, one little slip and you will be kicking yourself for a long time and Im sure your son understands.
And the thought of damaging your hardware isnt silly at all. It took alot of suffering to get it.
Take care of yourself and best of luck.
Oh, and dont feel bad, we had 20 inches of snow yesterday, I know I am not going ANYWHERE for awhile.
 
I have never been able to walk if it's slippy, I don't know if it will be the same post op?

No, it probably won't be different Lisa. For this reason:

the absolute dread and fear of falling and doing myself some serious damage- but now I'm even more scared of slipping and hurting myself because I don't want to damage my hardware - is that silly:scratch:?

Not silly at all. It is a genuine concern for most of us. Please do take care. A slip and fall especially in icy conditions can really cause some damage. The number of patients visiting A&E during these storms increases dramatically - lots of broken bones.

I bought some Yaktrax the year I had my op. They work great with boots but you need to remember to take them off before going indoors.

Hope you get to go out tonight Lisa. Take care and stay warm!
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Shopping Trips
    yaktrax.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 207
Oh...the shopping trips are so fun:) just came home from PetSmart and my boyfriend had to keep telling me to slow down! Last year, it would take me ten minutes to limp in from the parking lot......it keeps getting better
 
Don't worry about falling better to be safe than sorry,sure you can cast your mind back to my umble in the park were only my pride was hurt.
It'sthe shock and worry and the possibility you havecaused damage to your hip

Billy
 
Hope you get out in the snow with your son, just be careful out there...know you will. Lisa, I asked on someone elses thread and I can't remember now who it was...can you tell where to get those "sock" like footie things you talked about? Thanks and take care.
 
Hi Lisa,

I'm sure you'll be fine in the soft snow on grass but maybe after my experience anything icy on a hard surface I'd definitely give a miss this year!!

Love
Charlie
 
Hello Lisa,

Hope you got out to your concert last night and all that snow isnt a big inconvenience for you. Noooooooo you are normal to be scared of the snow and ice, it terrifies me even before my hip issues it would scare me. Falling on ice super scary and dangerous. Soft snow on grass is much easier and less scary!

Looking forward to hearing from you!

xxooxx
 
Well I didn't go dancing nor have I been out to play....:sigh:

By 7pm last night cars were slipping and sliding around just at the end of my drive, we live on a slight incline and they were struggling to get up the hill. To get to the main road it is a 5 minute up hill walk and is quite steep. Cars struggle to get up there in ice and snow.......I had visions of leaving the club and then the cab having to drop me off at the top of the hill so it didn't get stuck............disaster waiting to happen ...walking down a slippy hill after a couple of beers :beer2:

My son went to the park sledging with his friend and I decided to be sensible. The park was a bit too far to walk - would've been grass once I got there but usually I would drive there. He had a great time, they sled for 2 hours and then have spent the best part of the day building a snow couch and coffee table! I'll try and post a pic. It's at the end of my path so I could watch from the window and take out hot chocolate for them.:coffee:



It doesn't seem to be thawing and cars are still struggling past the house. I suspect I may need to work from home tomorrow - we'll see.
 
Lisa, I asked on someone elses thread and I can't remember now who it was...can you tell where to get those "sock" like footie things you talked about? Thanks and take care.

@dianemarie: Anywhere where you'd buy tights (pantyhose I think you'd say in USA) I get them at the supermarket!
 
Lisa

Sorry you didn't get your night out dancing or the trip to the park.

We could all do without the snow when of course this country completely grinds to a halt even if there is only a slight flurry!

I don't want to digress from your thread but should we need to be more careful of not falling because we have had a hip replacement - or in my case two.

Obviously no one wants to fall or injure themselves but should we be extra careful, and why?

Are we going to do some extra damage?

Just a thought, as extra precautions have never been mentioned by my surgeon at my post op appointments.

Hope you can rearrange your night out dancing as soon as spring arrives.

All the best

Dave
 
Yes he is handsome Lisa!

That's tons of snow brrrrrrrrr! Sorry you didn't get out last night, there will be other times soon. Are you guys done with the snow it is there more planned?
 
@DaveGM: I expect falling has risks for everyone, and I suppose our THR's are supposed to be life enhancing rather than putting us in fear of leaving house unless wrapped in a cotton wool suit:th_heehee:

But with everything you have risk assess and weigh up the risk against the benefits I think in my case I'm imagining that my femur is not that great, it was broken in 1993 by accident during surgery, you can see on my xray if you look closely, just under the tip of the implant. Also, I believe because of something my OS said that the THR was pretty much a 'last chance saloon' for me..............

As we all know 'we are all different' and I suppose we need to take our own histories into account when we are risk assessing. I also have a bit of a balance problem and often walk into things and misjudge steps etc which could be a symptom of hypermobility syndrome ("double jointedness") orr just because I'm plain clumsy and accident prone :DOH:
 
Sarah we must've been posting at the same time- no more snow forecast but it isn;t due to thaw until Weds - boo
 
Yes we are :) im being lazy this afternoon, have to head out shortly heading to a superbowl party. Wednesday to melt isnt to bad. I love looking at the snow, however feel the same was as you about being outside in it, scares me silly!! If it was true deep snow in a grass field then maybe I would goof off and play around knowing if I fell the landing would be soft. On concrete though naaaaaaaaaaaaaa I'm very clumsy too and for sure would slip and that would hurt! Have a good week! Stay warm and safe xxooxx
 
Lisa

I hope you didn't think I was being in any way judgemental in regards yor decision. I was just curious and frankly thinking of myself. Should I be taking extra precautions against a fall?

All the very best to you

Take care

Dave
 
Hi Lisa,

Clever kids, I like that snow furniture!!

Do you ever use a trekking pole when you are walking around outdoors? Didn't I see you with one in your photos from the summer time, maybe? I find mine helpful if I'm feeling wobbly, or on uneven grounds.

I hope you get out to dance with your friends soon, sorry you missed the cool band.
Take care,
Cardie
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom