Guest viewing is limited

Shelly's Recovery

That's great @flyaway79 - something for the rest of us "slow starters" to look forward to. I find that if I do much more than riding the bike and/or walking that I swell up and it sets me back so I think I will just stick to those activities - and the ADL's of course.:bicycle1::walking:
 
@kmak81230 It's only been in the last couple weeks that I've been feeling any real progress. I look back at my notes and complaints and I see I never thought I would be to this point:umm:
 
@flyaway79 that is so encouraging! I'm seriously contemplating doing the same and just stopping the pt and just ride my bike and let nature take its course.

I do want to achieve 120 or more. I really enjoy Pilates and jazzercise and being active with my family and at 110 I can do most normal activities but I would love to go back to doing the active things I really enjoy.

I don't mind being a "slow starter" as long as I know I'll keep progressing. I guess it is just my OS disappointment in my progress that concerned me. I am a pretty big rule follower and have relied on professionals for advice on my health. My gut tells me swelling will go down and I'll continue to progress but it is just a little scary for me to trust my gut over the doctors opinion.

Thank you so much for your replies. It makes me happy there are other slow benders out there working toward the same goals. I had no idea going into this whole thing that there would be so much uncertainty during the recovery process and knowing others are going through the same gives me so much peace.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Knees knees - since that's my obsession , here's a pic of our new little guy, Danno with my youngest, Ashlyn. He is making it very difficult to think so much about my knee! :)
[Bonesmart.org] Shelly's Recovery



RTKR 4/19/17
 
When I was in PT he would never push or touch me but I always felt that they were "disappointed" in my progress. . I ended up really hating to go because I would come home sore and stiff and felt like I went backwards rather than forward.

That's when I stopped. I've been a lot happier and it has all gotten there on it's own. I know that's not for everyone to do it this way. That's just me.

I've had lots of PT throughout the years between my 3 knee surgeries, a back issue and shoulder issue etc. I always liked it at the beginning because they would analyze my problem and give me tips and tricks to make it better and progress.

However, I always felt there was a time when it was no longer needed but they were always pushing to book more and more appointments. After all, they don't make money unless you are coming there. Right??? As long as they can "medically justify" you coming they will keep you coming back.

Almost everytime I've had PT I have been the one to say, thanks, I'm done :)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
oh my goodness ~ Danno is lovely and so is Ashlyn. lots of love there.
 
Your daughter is beautiful and Danno is precious!
 
Oh. Such a cute picture.

My 14week old toddler knee has started getting angry since I've become more active as the new baby knee starts to feel better. I'm annoyed that it still gets stiff and swollen and warm. And I'm not nearly at 9-10k steps. I just said under my breath today as I hobbled to the bathroom "it's a year long recovery". I guess that's going to be my mantra.
 
Hi Mechellec! I find your dilemma interesting, though I wish you didn't have it; pffft! It's interesting to me because I'm also a Slow-Bender, yet my surgeon seemed fairly well pleased on my visit last Tuesday, which was 9 weeks post-op. He said, and I quote: It doesn't really matter what your flexion is yet. If, in 5 more weeks we don't see continued improvement, we can discuss MUA, but I much prefer to see you reach around 110 degrees naturally. Anything beyond that number is *gravy," because you should be able to do almost everything you'd like at that point, and remember, you will continue to gain more flexion slowly over the next two years."

These surgeons all seem to have such different ideas, don't they? Obviously, I like my surgeon's thinking, and I'm retired, so can afford to be on the *scenic route*, aka S-L-O-W. I don't have any pressure to return to work. My extension is at zero and my gait has been declared *normal*, but I am certainly still experiencing stiffness and some tightness along the incision, particularly if I do too much. I don't tend to do much, lol, so I think the swelling is fairly minimal at this point. As of my last PT visit on Thursday, I have noticed a distinct loosening in that tight band, tourniquet sensation just above the knee. It's not gone, but feels much more pliable and comfortable. I get some orthopedic massage at every visit and do feel this makes a big difference.

Oh my gosh, Danno and your daughter are both just precious! My brother has a labradoodle named Perkins that looks just like him and he's so much fun with a very sweet personality! He's about 18 months old now and was just down here for a viist with my two geriatric *furs*, lol. He was very well behaved around them, lol. He will definitely help to make you less kneecentric; hah!
 
Just one other thing I'd like to mention: You walk a LOT! I'm familiar with the 10,000 steps a day mantra for health, but...don't really think that necessarily translates well to TKR patients before they are totally healed. Just my opinion, of course, but I say this because my PT keeps telling me to be moderate with walking, basically just 30-40 minutes at most, preferably 30. In his opinion, walking definitely leads to more swelling early in recovery, and he considers anything less than 6 months to be *early.* Perhaps if you cut back on some walking and other exercises, you'd swell less and bend more? I certainly don't know, but it seems like it's worth a try? As for the MUA, I am under the impression from my surgeon that it could be done at anytime so there's really no need to rush. I realize this information is at odds with what your surgeon is saying, but I thought it was worth sharing.
 
From the bottom of my heart, I appreciate all of you so much for responding and wish each one of you a wonderful recovery. This recovery is stressful and so awesome that this site makes it that we are not in it alone!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Just doing my normal job of teaching, and walking around period after period checking kids' papers is enough PT for me! I'm about 4 mos. out from the RTKR, and I was back to icing each evening because it let me know it was tired!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
I do want to achieve 120 or more. I really enjoy Pilates and jazzercise and being active with my family and at 110 I can do most normal activities but I would love to go back to doing the active things I really enjoy.
Give it time, Shelly! At 110, you're well on the way, and remember that ROM can continue to improve for a year, or even longer, after a TKR.
At 4 months post-op, your knee is still only a third of the way to complete healing. You'll get there!
 
Hello fellow Bone smart friends. I have been reading more than posting lately. I've been frustrated and worried and lacking patience even though I know it's a year long recovery that I'm only a third of the way through.

I am scheduled for an MUA for Friday morning. Just got back from OS appointment where he thinks it is a good idea and my PT actually is agreeing with him now after I've stayed at the same 110 for over 8 weeks. OS said MUA is easier when bend is already over 100 and he hopes it will give me 10 to 15 degrees more.

I also need to find a balance between overdoing (or being overdone at PT) and being lightly active in order to stop my constant swelling. I had way too aggressive PT at the beginning and even now sometimes. After too much exercise or too much walking or overdoing I am swollen for days and unable to bend. I really think the bike and gentle heel slides are all I'm going to do after the MUA.

Interestingly enough, the OS said people used to be content with 90 after surgery then just hope to get more and now people are younger and more active and want and can get 120 or more. He also said he doesn't know why some people get such stiff knees and are slow to bend but it seems to be more common in middle aged women. Aren't we lucky?

I did consider just waiting to achieve the ROM like so many have proven does happen on BS but I want to take advantage of the timing of just being 4 months out. The desire to be active again is what convinced me to have the surgery in the first place and I want to do whatever I can to try to achieve the bend I need to do this.

Hope everyone is healing well. As I've said many times, thank you for this site. It sure is a helpful place during this stressful recovery. This site should be a prescription prior to tkr that every OS prescribes. [emoji173]️


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I am sure that this has not been an easy process or decision for you. I hope that it goes well and that you are able to get back to where you would like to be.:flwrysmile:
 
mechellac ~ wishing you all the best on friday and a good recovery as several here have had after m.u.a., and very pleased with the outcome. my swelling and r.o.m. seems to stay the same. the swelling i would say is moderate to light but nothing changes it from day to day although i noticed a bit less after swimming in my niece's salt water pool. it's a mystery how some people can achieve a good r.o.m. even with the swelling and others can't. as soon as i have my days free i'm going to work on the swelling with ice and elevation more than once a day which is all i've had time for. i'm sure you will do just fine, having all the bonesmart information this time.
 
Shelly I know you have agonized over this decision. Just because in many cases it's not necessary and is a rushed or pushed decision I think it gets a bad rap. There are definitely times it's needed. After all if it wasn't it wouldn't be an option.

I wish you all the best and am praying for a positive outcome.

:angel:
 

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom