TKR Sewhat's Recovery Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had a good therapy session today. We worked on the bike, the bar and the giant table. I wasn't liming on the way out, I had a nice s t r i d e. I can tell now after a nap, that I worked my hamstrings and front thigh muscles. The name escapes me right now. It's lost somewhere in my foggy brain.
 
@sewhat
That is good, sounds like a better path you are on now!
Having limped for many years, not limping was a great joy! :)
 
I've been following the progression of recovery on this site pretty closely, maybe not walking 10 minutes at a time, but walking from car to therapy, getting water refilled, refreshing icepack, potty breaks...all that adds up.
As of today, I've missed church 3 weeks now, and my husband is the pastor. He is fine with it, but today he came home and told me that another woman in the church who had a failed partial knee replacement, a fractured bone from that, and then a total knee replacement said I need to be doing more. She has not visited me, so does not have any idea what I am doing. She has been on crutches for over a year with all this she has been through. I did go to a concert at my granddaughter's school this week that lasted 2 hours. If it had gotten too bad, I could have left. Not so with church, as my husband wouldn't be able to drive me home since he is preaching. Now I am feeling like I should try to go. I'm still using a walker. What do you all think? and what does one wear with TED hose?
 
Since you did well at the kid's concert, I'd say if you want to go to church maybe there is someone who could drive you home. But that would be your "event" of the day.
In terms of your recovery, sitting in church is hardly going to be the most helpful in the realm of "doing more" that this person speaks of. Sounds to me a bit like this person is being more judgmental than helpful.
 
I went to church tonight, it's only an hour service. I was able to put my foot up on the seat next to me. It was a good stretch for my extension. It wasn't too bad, I took a pain pill halfway through the service. Everyone was glad to see me and the mother of the person who thought I should do more said I was doing really well. I took an extra icepack with me and put it in the freezer for the trip home. My knee doesn't feel any worse for wear, so I guess it was a positive experience. They even sang my favorite hymn in honor of my return.
 
Good planning!
 
I woke up feeling really good today. I even forgot my walker and walked unaided across the livingroom before I realized what I had done. I went to PT and told my therapist about going to church and walking without my walker. She said we could try a cane. I told her I had been using a cane before my surgery and she went and got one for me to use and parked my walker. I always give her my gel icepack to put in the freezer while I'm there so I can use it on the way home. She put it in the freezer, and we started out on a new machine. You lie on your back with your feet up on a perpendicular pad and push yourself back and forth with your legs. She left me on that for awhile, then we moved to a bike. I still can't go all the way around, but did about 10 minutes of back and forth. She was wanting to put me on the big table, but there were 2 people on it already. The Physical Terrorist that I had trouble with last week was working with them. We moved closer to the table and she had me doing lunges. The terrorist asked me how my doctor appt went last week. I told her it was just for staple removal and that they were out. She asked what the doctor said, and I said that he thought the incision looked good and that he didn't measure me because I was so swollen. She said what about the fever and chills. I told her he told me I could double my meds if it happened again. She was still hogging the table, so we went to a room to work. My therapist kept asking people passing by if the table was free yet, but it wasn't. When my time was up, she went to get my icepack. It wasn't in the freezer. The ones they use are solid black, mine is clear with blue gel. The terrorist knew it was mine, but used it for another patient. My PT had to search for it and it was in a pillowcase on the big table...warm. I don't want to be a troublemaker, but does it seem like she's after me? Should I report her? I don't think it's safe to put my icepack in their freezer anymore. Next time she could puncture it. Am I making too much of this?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Lunges?:yikes: Weird about the gelpack. Maybe just a ditz?
 
She has a step that I put my TKR foot on and I lunge/lean forward on it to try to improve ROM.
I'm thinking she got in trouble for last week and is trying to get back at me.
 
Didn't sleep well last night, couldn't get comfortable. Now I'm sleepy, but we have the grandbaby while my daughter is at the dentist for a root canal. Maybe a shower will revive me.
 
Ok, I did that exercise too but I don't think they had me do it so early.
 
Ok, I did that exercise too but I don't think they had me do it so early.
I think these therapists are trying to kill me. My ROM is 96 at 3 weeks and she says she wants 120 by 4 weeks!
 
Therapist said her goal for today was 103. I told her she was dreaming. My knee was swollen when I got there. I go tomorrow too and now I have to spend the afternoon trying to get my pain pills refilled. Does everyone have to play this game with the pharmacy and doctor every week?
 
You're doing great for 3 weeks.
 
Thanks kneeper, try to tell my therapist that.
I'm not in a good mood today. Therapist pushes too much for the numbers. I'm trying to get off my walker and onto my cane, but she leaves me swollen and in pain. Hubby decided to order me a cold therapy machine today. Those gelpacks only last 20 minutes. I hope it works for me. It has a timer. I'm not sure that's a good thing for nightime.
 
Well the pharmacy doctor game is not going well this week. I asked the pharmacy for a refill on Monday. Tuesday is his surgery day, but he has an assistant. Well, no one signed it off. This morning, Wednesday, I had PT, and stopped to check on refill. Nothing. I called the OS's office and said I need a refill, Okay she said. I took a nap. When I awoke, I called the pharmacy. Nothing. Called OS's office and asked for nurse or PA. On hold for 6 minutes, then told they weren't available, did I want to leave a voicemail? I said No, I need a refill. Oh, doctor doesn't do that until the end of the day. I said, and when is that? 5:30. We went to church and stopped by the pharmacy on the way home. Nothing. Now I have 4 pills, taken every 4 hours and PT first thing in the morning. This is ridiculous. There is no way I am going to PT, so now I'll have 4 days with no PT, and I still have to chase down the refill tomorrow before noon. This is so stressful.
 
I've taken my last pain pill. I cancelled PT. Talked to OS's office. She said she had two stacks of refill requests waiting to be signed. At least I get 4 days off from PT.
 
I got my pain meds refill 2 minutes before my alarm went off for a pill. Last time it was for 60, this time 40. I'd like to just get off the prescription meds so I don't have to deal with this every week. What can I take that OTC? He's got me on aspirin for blood thinner, so, as I understand it, I can't take NSAIDs. Am I right?
 
Right. Definitely do NOT take NSAIDs with aspirin.
4 days off PT may be the best thing for you. :wink:
Well at least you are getting refills. Those "recreational" pain med users out there sure make life difficult for surgical patients who truly need them.:sigh:
What exactly are you taking for pain currently? @Josephine should be able to advise.
 
Thanks Kneeper, sometimes I think you're the only one reading this. I am taking hydroco/acetaminop 5-325 one to two tablets every 4 to 6 hours. I usually take just one unless I have PT. I get along pretty well with that every 4 hours and can tell when the 4 hours are up.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom