Guest viewing is limited

TKR Sewhat's Recovery Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today has been better than last night. My daughter helped me take an electric shaver to my "foliage". Exercises weren't too painful. Daughter and I watched a movie and then I took a nap. It was the first time the alarm had to wake me. I've always been watching the clock before. First outpatient PT tomorrow. I hope I get a therapist that will be gentle.
 
Welcome to the "Other Side"!!! you are on the path now of being pain-free!!

At 4:30 am the parade began; blood draw, respiratory therapy, more vitals, menu to fill out...then, a sponge bath.
I remember that quite well, too! Everything was at a time when it should be illigeal to wake somebody up!
First PT wasn't too bad until the therapist forced my knee.
As others have said, do not allow anybody to force your knee to bend or to convince you to do something that will cause you pain. Remember that the PT people actually work for you! Do not take anything past the point of discomfort.

I also am interested in what type of pain meds you are on---and regardless of what day it is, the OS has an answering service to help you get in touch with him---and, you can call your GP, too.
 
The bruising spreading is very common and if you had a nerve block of some kind it takes a bit to wear off. That might be what is up. Hope you find some good relief soon. Take those pain meds by the clock even if you don't think you need them!
 
Welcome the other side. As others have said, take your meds on schedule. If you wait too long it will take longer to act. I always make sure I have a pain pill before pt. Pt should be uncomfortable but not painful.
 
I've got the alarm set on my phone for meds. I've been stretching them by 10 minutes this weekend in order to get on target for PT in the morning. I'm having the same short naps and aching pain again tonight. I'm moving the ice pack around on my leg to target the pain. It seems to be helping.
 
I've got the alarm set on my phone for meds.
There are actually apps for that! Are you using one? Using the alarm like that is a great idea.

Remember, when you go to PT, you set the limits as to what you will do and how far you will take the exercises. Take them only to the point of discomfort and no further---and you will see success and less frustration.
 
There are actually apps for that! Are you using one? Using the alarm like that is a great idea.

Remember, when you go to PT, you set the limits as to what you will do and how far you will take the exercises. Take them only to the point of discomfort and no further---and you will see success and less frustration.

I know there are apps, but I only have a dumb phone. lol
I am so sleepy. I'll probably just sit in therapy and snore. I can get 1 hour of sleep out of a pain pill at night, then I wake up and wait 3 hours until the next one, get an hour's sleep, then 3 hours awake...there's a deep aching in my bones at night that I don't have during the day.
I am used to taking Benadryl at bedtime for sinus drainage. My discharge papers say to stop that, so I wake myself up with a snort every now and then.
 
Last night I got very little sleep. This morning was first outpatient PT. I told the therapist right off that I didn't want her forcing my knee so that she could write a number on my chart. She agreed that hurting causes more swelling and is counterproductive. When she measured me, I was 10 extension and 55 flexion. Big difference from the 92 at the hospital. We worked mainly on the extension and that pain pill wasn't putting forth much effort because it hurt. I had to do 10 minutes with a rolled towel under my ankle and icebag on my knee. That was tough. By the time it was over, I was sore. I will be going 3 times a week for now.
When I got home, I called my OS office and talked to his PA. I have been taking Benadryl at night for years for sinus drainage that makes me snort and wake myself. He said I could continue that.:yay: I told him about my painful nights and he said I could double the hydrocodone at night and for therapy.:yes!::yes!: It was time for a pill, so I took one and a Benadryl and slept for over 3 hours.:sleep: I woke up groggy, but refreshed. I think I can handle this now.
 
Great to hear you got some good sleep. :sleep:
 
Sleep does wonders for you doesn't it? Everything looks a little brighter when we're well rested. Glad to hear you can once again take the Benedryl…that should help. Before you know it, you'll be like me (and many of us here) and be able to say that it was one of the best things you've done!
 
Since I can now double the pain meds at night (when the deep achy bone pain sets in) and for PT, I'll run out tomorrow. I called the pharmacy yesterday in anticipation of this and they say they are waiting for the OS's fax. OS's office say they never received the request. C'mon people! I don't have time for this. My PT appt is at 9 am!
Last night I tried just one pill, but after an hour or so, that was gone. I took another and kind of staggered them. I got more sleep than the last two nights. Today has been good. I still need to do my exercises one more time. Hubby made such a good dinner tonight I might not be able to exercise now. lol
 
Last night I got very little sleep.
This issue---lack of sleep--is possibly one of the most frustrating issues about a TKR or a BTKR---I am glad to hear that you have your pain meds taken care of---and understand that the sleep issue is "par for the course"---just nap when you can and understand that it will slowly subside.
 
It was time for a pill, so I took one and a Benadryl and slept for over 3 hours.

Sleep is a wonderfule thing. It does make you feel so much better. You will find sleep comes easier as time goes on. I am 10 weeks out and most of the time sleep pretty good. When I can't sleep I take Tylenol ZZZ, it really helps.
I am also on hydroco/acetaminop 5/325, it is written to take every 4 hours but am finally able to go between 6 and 9 hours, depending on how the knee feels that day. I have come to realize the knee is in control of everything I do for now. Early on I had an rx forhydroco/acetaminop 7.5 every 4 hours which I needed at that time.

Good luck with your recovery.
 
Yeah , lack of sleep was the most disturbing part for me , now 6 weeks later , it is much better. I was fortunate with my medication as they sent me home with a script to last 2 weeks. Than when I called for more Tramadol , it was in before I called the pharmacy to see if they got the fax. My OS assistant is great . ! Every week you will notice a difference. The dropped in ROM is normal as internal swelling has occured. Ice and elevate as much as you can take. Its impossiable to bend a swollen knee. As you progress , resist doing chores around the house. Let your husband and daughter do it for as long as they can. That was my mistake early on . Ice will reduce the swelling !! Keep up the great work .
 
s you progress , resist doing chores around the house. Let your husband and daughter do it for as long as they can.
Yes---we all want to be helpful and contributing members of our home---but you need to fight that urge for some time and let your knee heal. What does not get done by your husband and daughter can certainly wait.
 
Since I can now double the pain meds at night (when the deep achy bone pain sets in) and for PT, I'll run out tomorrow. I called the pharmacy yesterday in anticipation of this and they say they are waiting for the OS's fax. OS's office say they never received the request. C'mon people! I don't have time for this. My PT appt is at 9 am!
Last night I tried just one pill, but after an hour or so, that was gone. I took another and kind of staggered them. I got more sleep than the last two nights. Today has been good. I still need to do my exercises one more time. Hubby made such a good dinner tonight I might not be able to exercise now. lol
 
Doubling the pills isn't doing it either. I took 2 hydrocodone and a Benedryl. I thought I'd be right off to sleep. The aching started and no sleep. So here I am surfing the net.
 
@sewhat Sorry you didn't get much sleep. Do you elevate your leg at night when sleeping? I found it really helped me at the beginning. I know you take Benedryl at night but have you tried Tylenol ZZZ? It helps me sleep through the night. You should probably check with the pharmicist first to make sure it won't interact with anything you are currently taking.

Hope tonight is better for you.
 
Second PT this morning. I had a different therapist, the first was just an evaluation. It wasn't as bad as the first one. He measured me at 78 degrees flexion! I was only 55 two days ago. How can that be? I pulled it in with a strap both times. Is that possible? 20 degrees in two days?
As for the pain meds, I was down to 1 and we stopped at the pharmacy after asking for a refill two days ago and calling the OS office yesterday. They didn't have it. Panic set in. They called the OS and it was in the basket for him to sign. They said to call at noon. Nothing. Again at one (last pill has been taken) It was there. Whew!
Am I going to have to go through this every week?
Are teeth chattering and shivering responses to pain? I remember having them in the recovery room and being engulfed in warm blankets. When I first got home from the hospital, it happened again and also today after therapy. Anyone else experience this?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom