TKR Sewhat's Recovery Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey---remember---it is OK to take a break from PT---it is your body, and your new knee. You do not have to go and, if you feel pressured, you make the decision. Sometimes a break here and there are necessary, not only for the physical reasons, but also for the psychological ones, too.
 
I have PT 3 times a week, but last week it was 4. She's wanting to make it 5. I do the exercise bike back and forth, (I did full rotation last Tuesday and regretted it) I do work at the bar; marching on a foam step, step ups, squats (like your sitting in a chair) then torture on the table where she puts my ankle on a foam cylinder and adds weight or pushes down on my knee to get extension, and heel slides that she "assists" , lying on back with feet on wall and sliding down. There's also a machine called the shuttle that you lie on with your feet up and push yourself back and forth.
Even with a weekend of napping, icing and sleeping, I'm stiff and sore today.
 
Saw OS today. Walked in with cane, but not using it. He had a big grin this time and so did I.The nurse said, "Now that's more like it." Last time I saw him was the day of the 2 hour torture PT session. I was limping on a walker.
He said okay to everything I asked; driving, bath:bath:, hot tub, pool, trip to Alaska in July:dancy:, keep on pain meds since I'm stretching to 5 hours now, anti-inflammatory to try to bring down swelling, NO MORE PT!!!!:yes!:, and a one time therapy session with their therapist to show me how to get out of the bathtub. lol I did the therapy right after I left his office. I told my hubby he would have to ask about sex, but he wouldn't, so we didn't ask. :giggle:
The OT gave me some exercises for upper body strength, some exercise bands, and some suggestions for getting out of the tub. I have a grab bar that clamps onto the side of the tub that I was using before surgery. She suggested I use the hand on the opposite side of the operated knee to reach across for the grab bar and use the other hand to push up. She gave me a piece of stuff that makes anything sticky to put under my non operated side foot to keep it from shooting out from under me. She also suggested a small stool to put under me kind of as a halfway point to do it in two stages. I have a small plastic stool for my grandkids to reach the sink that would be perfect.
So I'm on my own now for PT. I'll be using the BS library and I have the book Total Knee Replacement and Rehabilitation. So I'll be working on a routine to start tomorrow on my 6 week date.
 
Well I slept in until 8:48 this morning, with lots of wakeups during the night. No rushing off to PT. I did the exercises in the BS library this morning, and I'll probably do the ones in my doctor's joint camp book. I took my first bath in 6 weeks, lol. It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be to get out. I didn't need the stool or the sticky stuff. Just reached across my body for the grab bar and pushed up with my other hand. Easy peasy. Hubby and I got our passport renewals ready to send off and he took them to the post office and picked up my meds while I took a nap. I've been working on putting away winter clothes and getting out summer things. Just a taking it easy kind of day.
 
Great going! Congratulations on finishing PT and taking a bath. You should be proud of how far you have come. Remember it is easy to overdo especially when you feel so good.


RTKR - 9th December, 2013
 
I'm wanting to wean myself from Norco. There's a suggested schedule that I found here on BS. I have a question @Jamie . When it says 2 at bedtime, does that mean I should not take one 6 hours later? No more setting an alarm? I still wake up often during the night.
 
I've been going 6 hours between pain pills the last 2 days. 3 pills during the day, and 2 at bedtime. I wake up a lot during the night, with knee and leg aching. I wish my cold therapy machine didn't have a30 minute timer on it. I just about get to sleep and click it turns off. When the water drains out of the knee pad, it makes me feel like I'm wetting my pants! lol
I'm doing the exercises from the BS library and back and forths on an exercise bike. I can go upstairs normally if I'm not too tired, but not down. I forgot and got down on the floor to pick up toys with my 1 year old granddaughter the other day and didn't know how to get up again. Hubby helped me. Oh! and I did some knee bending in our hot tub!
 
3 a.m. and I'm up again. I think I'll try some Tylenol p.m. I hope it's okay to take with the Norco.
 
I took a Tylenol P.M. at 3 in the morning and slept until 9 A.M. I think I'll take it at bedtime tonight.
 
@sewhat I'm still struggling with sleeping. I take an oxynorm and 2 paracetamol before bed and maybe another during the night but sleep is still a problem.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
 
I took 2 Tylenol P.M. at bedtime, but only slept about 2 1/2 hours. There's no rhyme or reason to this not sleeping thing, is there?
 
@sewhat, no there isn't is there. Managed to get into our hot tub today finally. Bit of a struggle getting in, almost had to get hubby to carry me over but it was gorgeous once I was in.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
 
I've been in our hot tub twice now. So relaxing.
 
Arrrrgh! no decent sleep again last night. Hubby put the air conditioner in, maybe that will help. I can hope, can't I?
 
No me neither, lay there for ages trying to get comfortable. It was really hot last night and I can't bear the weight of the duvet on my knee or the feel of it. Finally got to sleep then woke up freezing cold. :(

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
 
I slept a little longer before waking tonight. I tried an OTC sleep aid. I just took one, maybe I should have taken two. I'll be glad when this insomnia part is over. I'm sleeping in the guest room so my hubby isn't awakened by my prowling around. He has been so good to me through all this.
 
Awful night. Didn't get to sleep until 6:30 a.m.
 
Great :( now gone down with flu type virus. Feel absolutely rubbish today. Been in bed, haven't felt like doing any real exercises, not had the energy today. Spent last night coughing and trying to get comfortable.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
 
Sorry you are both having having such a rough time! Sleep deprivation is so hard! Like you I had a night last week when I didn't go to sleep until around 6am. Most nights it's at least 2am before I drop off, thank heavens for this site! I hope you both have a better night!


Bernie UK
RTKR 22nd January 2014
LTKR 2nd April 2014
 
Only up one time for a couple of hours last night. It's not just the sleeplessness, it's the creepy feeling of not being comfortable in your own skin. I can't even sit and read, or get on BS. I'm antsy and can't be still. Is this feeling from weaning off the Norco?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom