TKR Sewhat's Recovery Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a rollercoaster ride. Last night my knee kept waking me up hurting. I did too much yesterday. I had an evaluation today at PT, and couldn't do a rotation I was so stiff. I needed help to get my ROM to 92. Therapist said doctor wants 105 from me before I stop therapy. I see him on Monday.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Sewhat's Recovery Thread
@sewhat. It's the answer to the problem. You are barely over a month post op, and that knee is very unhappy with you. Remember the mantras:

- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!


So now
[Bonesmart.org] Sewhat's Recovery Thread
Elevate; ice, ice, and ice some more; rest; take pain meds if needed; and NO unnecessary activity for two or three days. You may find that your knee bends much better when it is not swollen from over doing.

Take care and keep us posted. We care.
 
I am so agreeing with bottomshollow - give your knee rest!


RTKR - 9th December, 2013
 
Yep, it's a rollercoaster. Very easy to overdo.
 
No PT today! I slept in, hung around in my jammies with ice and elevation, and here it is almost noon and I'm just getting dressed. My swelling has really gone down.
 
My knee was huge this morning. I don't know why. I only got 5 and 86 at PT. I don't have to go again until Tuesday. 6 week appointment with OS is Monday. I'm going to take it easy this weekend and see if I can get rid of some of this swelling.
 
@sewhat, I am fairly new to this site and just read all of your story up to this point. I had my RTKR on March 27th so I'm a little behind you. I too suffer with the leg pains you described (mostly at night). Are you still having them? To me, it sounds like you're doing great. I was at 10 and 100 when I last saw my doctor (this past Monday). I go for my 6 week visit on April 7th and they want to see me at 0 and 100 at least. I have some work to do but I try to let my knee lead me. Even today, I tried not using my crutches all morning and found that it was too much. I ended up in a lot of pain all afternoon and found that it was too difficult to do my exercises. I spent the afternoon resting and feel much better. Tomorrow, I will do things a little differently. I will be following your progress. Best wishes.
 
This is a rollercoaster ride. Last night my knee kept waking me up hurting. I did too much yesterday.
That is all part of recovery---feeling a little bit too good and doing a little bit too much---and then paying the price for it---I had a rather lengthy learning curver and it took several "lessons" to learn it.

Ice, elevate, rest, and then repeat---and remember that it is all good---just slow down a little bit and listen to your knee.

I'm going to take it easy this weekend and see if I can get rid of some of this swelling.
Great idea---just rest, ice and elevate for long periods of time---the roller coaster ride is all part of a normal recovery---just take it easy and understand that yo are not in charge---your surgical knee is. Take it easy and do not worry.
 
@sewhat, I am 4 weeks post op and it sounds like you are doing far more than I am. I do potter about during the day and do a bit of washing up or give the bathroom a quick going over but that is about it for me other than hobbling with two crutches from room to room. If I stand for too long my knee starts swelling massively and really lets me know that is it's not happy. I have been doing my physio exercises at home every day and have my first outpatient physio next week. Be kind to yourself. I am so frustrated watching my family do things that I should be doing but have worked out that this surgery requires patience. Take care, Lori :)


Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
 
Be kind to yourself. I am so frustrated watching my family do things that I should be doing but have worked out that this surgery requires patience.
There will be time for you to get back into doing those activities and helping with family chores and such. Right now, though, you job is to heal and to recover, and your family understands that. As you recover, you can add little activities that will allow you to be more involved in your family, but right now, you have to focus on the task at hand, and that is for you to recover.

The more you do now, the slower your recovery will be---and tht will mean that you will be watching them them perform tasks even longer.

Hang in there, and let them take care of those tsks---and let them take care of you.
 
@referee and @Jozilla, hi, thanks for the support. I'm still at the frustrated stage I think, I'm sure I should be doing more than I am but am finding everything so difficult, everything is such a monumental effort. I suppose it will all get easier over time. I am concerned how tight my knee feels. It won't really move much until I start stretching it out in the morning. Once I have done all my exercises it just swells up even more. I am icing almost all day but now I am finding that the scar gets very irritated when I put my the cryo cuff directly on it so I am having to put a flannel underneath otherwise it is unbearable. Is this normal?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
 
I had a morning nap, lunch, then an afternoon nap. Then watched some tv while icing. I'm sleepy again and it's not even 7:00 yet. Knee is not so swollen though. Only thing I've done all day is fold some clothes that my hubby washed.
 
I'm sure I should be doing more than I am but am finding everything so difficult,
When you think that you should be doing more---do the opposite. You need to fight the urge to do more; it will slow your recovery down.

I am concerned how tight my knee feels.
That is normal---and the more you try to work on it, the tighter it will get. Ice and elevation are your best friends.

Once I have done all my exercises it just swells up even more.
What exercises are you doing? how often, and how many reps?

I am finding that the scar gets very irritated
yes---it is quite normal for the scar to be very easily irritated at this stage of recovery.
 
@referee54, I am doing the following exercises: rolled up towel underneath knee, 15 times a day, leg lift 6 inches off the bed 15 times x2 a day, sitting on a chair pushing knee down to straighten 15 times x 2 a day, knee bends pushing knee further back with other leg 15 _x 2 daily, standing and bending operated knee up in front 15 x 2 daily, standing bending both knees and straightening up again 15 x 2 and standing keeping knees together bending operated knee up behind 15 x 2 daily. Do you think I'm doing enough exercising. I am also taking daily trundles round the house on my two crutches.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
 
I think I am feeling good enough to get out but by the time I get myself presentable to go out I am exhausted...I wish I could get away with a ball cap like those young girls can!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
I think I am feeling good enough to get out but by the time I get myself presentable to go out I am exhausted..
That energy drain is a real issue in the early days of recovery---and going out can be a major, major task. Your body, right now, is sending major amounts of energy toward the healing of the surgical trauma. Your pain meds are also to blame, too.

Take it easy and be patient---you will feel better in a little while, and going out for a cup of coffee or a brief little errand will make you feel so much closer to normal!

I wish I could get away with a ball cap like those young girls can!
I keep my hair cut almost shaved---just very, very short---so I just throw a hat on and go!! (sorry:heehee:...)
 
After doing nothing all day yesterday and using my ice cuff off and on all night, I'm stiff, sore and slightly swollen this morning. Tomorrow I go see OS. Maybe he'll take me off PT for awhile. I can hope, can't I?
 
How many times a week are you going to PT? I went twice a week after my BTKR---and that was enough---what exercises are you doing while there---could you please refresh me on that?

It may be simply that your kn ee is fighting back from too much PT---it is important to listen to the knee, and, when it is upset and cranky, like it is now, to minimize the exercises and maixmize the rest, ice, and elevation.

This is not a race, this is not a sprint, although some PT's think it to be---what is the rush? Take it slowly and gently.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom