THR Severe pain after 15 months<

Hi Dickie.
Just wondering have you decided to give the Gabapentin a Try as Josephine has advised.
I hope your on-going pain issues get resolved.
Try not to get too despondent.
Joe......
 
Thank you Josephine. I was on Lyrica for the first 6 months, but went off it as it was not helping the pain any and affected my cognitive function. I wouldn't go back on that again.
I have had the CT scan, but no idea of any result. By the sound of it then , there is no hope of recovery.
That makes me devastated really. However, would nerve pain feel like I am walking bone on bone, it feels like bone pain and when the surgeon pressed mid-thigh I jumped a foot in the air? I have difficulty lifting the leg when it is straight, a straight leg raise.
To me nerve pain does not explain, why I can't walk far, the thigh keeps me awake some nights aching, but the pain lessens non weight bearing. Any weight bearing just increases the pain. Also I regularly have referred Rt shoulder tip pain when the pain is at its strongest. The jarring accident a month ago, that caused a terrible increase in pain has reduced back to my normal pain levels. We went to Thailand at the start of June and the extra walking caused the whole leg to cease up for 2 days. Rest was the only way to reset the ability to walk. It isn't a burning pain like nerve pain, it feels like a broom handle has been shoved up my thigh when weight bearing. I do have Fibromyalgia and this caused a lot of post op pain, but this calmed down at the 6 month mark.
I said to the surgeon, it was just like I had never had the surgery done.
Just to say my Mother in law passed away 2 nights ago (Leukaemia) and I got to see her 2 weeks before she passed, but my Sil's blocked me from seeing her prior to her passing. My Husband's family are a strange lot. She is at peace now.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I took some Lyrica 75mg, as I still had some left over and it has made no difference today at all.
 
I'm sorry you are having such difficulty. Don't have any advice about what might be causing the pain in your thigh. Mine is definitely nerve and muscle pain but not that sensation at all. So sorry for the loss of your mother-in-law. I had a friend die last fall of leukemia. Would you believe he was having blood work done in preparation for hip replacement when it was discovered...
He too is at peace and no more pain.
Hang in there.
 
@Dickie 1 Gabapentin is a different medication. I took it just post op RTHR and it worked very well. No fuzzy head side effects and no nerve pain. No harm in asking to give it a try. You need something to get you through this bad patch.
 
Thank you for the reply, I'll consider it. it is likely a huge cost, like the Lyrica.
Lyrica was needed for the first 6 months, but it is of no use now. I don't think it is nerve pain. I need to see my GP later this week, I will discuss this new medication suggested with her.
I just want the Dr's to find the issue and fix it. This is not living, it is just existing. We head to Seattle for 10 days at the end of next month, Hubby is excited and I can't even get excited, as I know travel just increases the pain.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Dickie 1
I just read your thread and my heart goes out to you. I have no advise medically but are sending you prayers ( hope not offeneded) and hoping you get answers soon.
 
I think that the acupuncture has helped a little, the pain isn't so strong and I have reduced my pain medication somewhat. I haven't taken Targen for about 1 week now. However, that does not mean I am not in pain, I still have pain 24/7, it is more tolerable for now, I still require other meds. We are travelling over seas in 4 weeks time, I suspect the extra daily walking will stir the pain back up, the reason I am paying for acupuncture weekly at present. I don't expect it to fix the problem, but may offer some respite till we do.
 
Prayers for some relief and safe travels in 4 weeks.
Hopefully your pain is significantly better by then.
A great weekend to you! @Dickie 1
 
Last edited:
Thank you Layla and My Aussie Girl, I just have to keep plugging away. I hope you are not directly affected by the hurricane in Texas over this weekend ? I am travelling to the US (Seattle). Exciting and daunting all at the same time.
 
Thanks @Dickie 1 I am worried on a few friends in Texas but am far away from it. It's horrible.

I am glad you're bearing be up. Hugs
 
I have had to chase up a copy of a CT scan that I had 3 weeks ago through my OS, but have heard nothing from him or the rooms. I asked my Chiropractor to source the report for me.
"There is no bone resorption around the acetabular cup or femoral stem of the THR prosthesis.
Subperiosteal new bone is noted on the medial aspect of the proximal shaft above the level of the femoral stem. The stem does not appear to abut the medial cortex suggesting it is not due to a stress reaction, but may instead be due to a healing stress fracture of the femoral shaft. New bone was not evident on a previous x-ray on March '17. Conclusion: suspected healing stress fracture."

So my interpretation is this was something of a newer injury, possibly from me coming off a step at home and placing full weight on my operated leg several weeks ago. I did have increased pain for about 5 weeks, but has settled back to my previous pain levels and stiffness again, nothing has changed for me. This does not explain the ongoing pain nearly 16 months after the THR which has not given me any relief at all. Any ideas? Should I follow up with the OS about any treatment, as the aching is affecting my sleeping and I'm not having any reduction in my pain?
 
Last edited:
@Josephine can probably give better advice with this medical information.
Are you still coming to the U.S. this month?
I didn't get whether you have tried to recontact your OS or not...
Hopefully Jo can give you some good advice.
My brother has been living up near Seattle for over 15 years now and I still haven't been to visit. He loves it...hope you have a better day today
 
@Dickie 1 I don't have any advice, but, from reading your latest post it sounds like the stress fracture is the root of your ongoing pain. I'm sure Jo will jump on here shortly. Do you have any x-rays you can post for her?

Sounds like the acupuncture is helping somewhat anyway. Hugs and bidding you a peaceful and (relatively) painless day.
 
I will phone the OS room in the morning, as I only received the report late today.
Yes, we still intend to come to Seattle later this month, walking stick in hand and plenty of analgesics.
My understanding of this CT report is that the fracture is recent, as I fell off a step a few weeks ago and I jarred the operated leg, this correlates with the time frame. I don't know if I have had stress fracture from the surgery, as nothing has shown up despite MRI, plain X-rays and CT scans in past months. This is the first time anything positive has actually shown up.
I am not sure what the future holds for me. I don't have a great quality of life at present. Thank you for the ongoing support.
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom