Guest viewing is limited

THR Severe pain after 15 months<

@Dickie 1 I can really relate to the pain of a bursa, i was sure i must have bone infection in that good hip, it was as bad as anything i have had, eventally i had a guided ultrasound and injection when they found the large pocket of fluid, 2 weeks later it was completely gone, i hope someone can help you.xx
 
Didn't mean for my post to come off sounding so vague...or surprised.
I remember that you went so long without the knowledge of the fracture...and you certainly have more expertise about all things anatomical and medic than I do.

I know that poor righty had been through alot and treatment sound very feasible to me, (who, again...knows nothing)
Just want badly for you to be pain-free and I'm guessing after your former debacle...you will be steadfast in advocating for your treatment.
It's only been a few months..
I am trying to be patient...:heehee: I act like its my hip that's hurting.
Behave and let's get well.
:fingersx: shot will help.
 
Well I had the steroid injection into the hip bursa on the 3rd September. I can tell you now, it will NEVER happen again. It was excruciating to have this done. We flew out to Thailand the next day for a 12 night break, as it had been planned around the hip revision. We did a fair bit of walking in Thailand, a tour out to one of the islands. Both hips had a workout. Both hips didn't like the workout much, but I also rested more, as you do on holidays. The Left hip stopped aching as well. We flew back to Melbourne on Monday, OMG, by Tuesday the hip was aching, the operated hip offered me stem pain. I am not sleeping due to the aching, I am in tears cooking dinner, I just cannot stand for long. It is hip pain and not bursa pain, as I suspected. My Daughter gets married in 7 weeks and I'm in so much pain, I won't enjoy the day. I still haven't heard from the OS regarding the MRI. I knew a hip bursa would not cause the pain I am in. I still get a lot of muscular pain with the revision hip. I lie in bed at 2 am with the electric blanket going, lying on my non-operated hip to gain relief from the aching. I'm lucky to get 3-4 hours from OTC analgesics (should get up to 8 hours).
 
:console2:
To be honest though, I feel it is hip pain rather than bursa pain.
You know your body better than anyone but for your sake I wish that the bursitis would've been the issue.
Guess you are going to go for double hippy status now?

I still get a lot of muscular pain with the revision hip. I lie in bed at 2 am with the electric blanket going, lying on my non-operated hip to gain relief from the aching. I'm lucky to get 3-4 hours from OTC analgesics
I remember so well those nights...heating pad, no sleep...
And probably lefty is causing you to strain righty more than you should as you are still healing from your revision.
Several folks here lately on forum who were hoping they had some time on the other hip have had to expedite the process due to severe pain.
1stSurgery is having second THR today! @BeBe is another one where the hip just wouldn't wait.

I know you have to get through the wedding and I'm sorry your hopes of being all good for it didn't work out.
You also haven't been able to give revised hip much of a break as it has much more healing happening.
I know you are disappointed but I hope you can get number two done so both can be on track for getting well.
Hang in there, friend.
 
Mojo, thank you for the support. I think you are right. The revision hip isn't quite ready to be No 1 hip, but it has to. I promised my daughter 12 months ago that I would have my right hip sorted before the wedding, I did keep that promise, but unfortunately, the left hip decided to rear its ugly head. I guess I am not alone here.
I agree I am heading for a second bout of surgery. I'm waiting for the Surgeon to contact me (he said he would) regarding the MRI report. It has just started school holidays here, I think he is away. I'd be surprised if the MRI did not find a problem.
 
I will pray for a wedding reprieve:praying: but please do your best not to overdo with wedding plans so you can be as good as you can be.

Please let us know when you get MRI results...:console2:
 
I contacted the surgeon's rooms today. They had emailed me a letter and I didn't receive the email for some reason. So the receptionist re-sent the email to me. The letter says, I have a severe arthritis of the left hip with full thickness cartilage loss. (No surprise to me), his recommendation is to have a THR. Yet the plain x-ray showed no abnormality and normal joint space. It is too close to the wedding now. The rooms are trying to get me another appointment as soon as possible. It is school holidays here and the OS is away. I just have to wait now. At least my pain has now been validated.
 
I know that it will be tough to deal with this pain especially through wedding but so glad you got answers.
We will be here to cheer you on when you get that left hip sorted.
Wishing you as much comfort as possible...
 
@Dickie 1, I just saw your thread today for the first time and wanted to tell you, as @Mojo333 said, I had a similar issue with dates ahead of me that I needed to be mobile and good for ...but the Unoperated hip declined so rapidly, I was no longer able to tolerate it, and was forced to up my second surgery date by a few months. My OS's first opening due to a cancellation was still 46 days from the call for a surgery date. They were difficult days waiting in such pain, but now it's done and I can move forward not having that hip deterioration haunting me. Your daughter has to understand, whatever happens, that you've done your best and after that it's out of your hands.

I will say that my two hips were both very different in responding to THR. One easy, one not. I don't know but i suspect the more damaged hip is the harder one in recovery, as that's my case. Depending on your OS first opening date you may be able to work it out and make the wedding with walking assistance. So sorry for your dilemma, I know how hard it is. I was just writing last night here that it would be helpful for the surgeons or their staff to warn us of the strong possibility of this kind of sudden demise during recovery - when the Unoperated hip is also arthritic. It would help us both psychologically to be prepared and look for signs as well as help to be realistic when making our near future post op plans. I wouldn't have scheduled the October work I did ...had I known the 2ndd surgery might be imminent. Best of luck to you!
 
I went back to the OS a couple of weeks ago. I have delayed my hip surgery to the end of January next year. My Mother has to go into aged care (she is 90 and has dementia), and I need to help my brother clear out the house. She should of gone into care 1 years ago, but my brother roadblocked it all. It isn't fair that I now have to wait. My right, twice operated hip remains painful in the muscles, but because the hip implant is so long, I also have end of stem pain. I feel now that it will never be pain free. It is better than it was, but not great.
On a positive note, my daughter's wedding was last Saturday and it was wonderful. I have her bouquet and today I broke it up made a possie from some of the flowers and placed it on my Parents in law's grave. My Mil would of loved to have seen her Grandaughter's wedding. The day was very special.
This is why this forum is so supportive, we understand the impact of pain and immobility on a person's lifestyle. Thank you again for the continuing support, as I'm having a down period at present.
 
Aww, I'm sorry you're feeling down. Sending a hug your way :console2:
It's unfortunate you have to put off your surgery and suffer physical pain due to the delay. Sorry about your mom and the work it involves to move her, but hopefully once she's settled in her new place it will be easier on all involved.

Let's pray the pain you're suffering ends. At only 6 months post op, possibly there's still time for it to ease?

I'm happy to read you enjoyed your daughter's wedding. I'll bet her MIL was there in Spirit. Whether that's a possibility, or not, it's a comforting thought.
Wishing you a good week and lots of joy along the way :)
Big Hugs
@Dickie 1
 
Dickie so sorry that your coping with pain. Hip surgery delayed due to unmitigated circumstances. It just goes to show how kind and supportive you are helping your mom. We are only here for so long and while your coping with your hip you have the strength and character to put your mum first.
You said it well in your post that this forum understands well the impact of pain on our hippie friends the most. I hope that a letter from your doc explaining the circumstances and they can reschedule surgery sooner. Sending lots of rainbow colored angels to give you all that you need to sustain you thru this journey! xxxxHippylife
 
I feel horrible that you are having to deal with all of this.
Things certainly are not fair...and dealing with life's rough spots..when in pain...is even more stressful.
I'm glad your daughters wedding went well.
Touching that you 'shared' her wedding with the flowers.
Sending hugs, my friend.:console2:
 
Thank you, I'm sure my Mother in law was there is spirit, she would have loved it. Yes, a busy time and my brother is a tad difficult to deal with, we get along, he is stubborn. I don't think he appreciates what I am giving up to help him. My left hip that requires the hip replacement, is painful, but a little calmer at present, coping okay with analgesia. When I go to my Mum's place, I know my limits and it is only a 2 hour block of work, not all day.
I want Mum sorted into permanent care and her house cleared out mostly before surgery, then I can concentrate on my recovery. I feel if I have the hip operated now, I may not allow enough recovery time and start to do over do things, so that is why I have delayed. it was my choice.
Thank you for the support, it has been an emotional week. You guys are ace.
 
:unsure:We do what we must..and you know we want so badly for things to even out for you.
Please do pop in and let us know how you are.
We really do care:loveshwr:
 
I hope you have a peaceful relaxing weekend.
Hugs :console2:
@Dickie 1
 
Just checking in and wondering how you've been.
Relief is really not that far away now (though I'm sure it doesn't feel that way)
Wishing you comfort as you await January date.
Hope your holidays are joyful!
:chris-win:
 
I need to update everyone.
1 week and a half after my Daughter's wedding, I woke up with the most blinding back pain imaginable (Wednesday). I almost had to call an ambulance, but my Husband who was at work at the time, said I was over reacting. (Coming from a man who has never had severe pain in hip.) I had a routine appointment with my Chiropractor the next day, so I basically put myself to bed, as it was the only way I obtained any relief. I made it to the Chiro appointment, her comment was "Your back is a mess." I obtained some short term relief after the Chiro visit. The day after the Chiro visit, the severe pain returned and I was bed bound basically. Again on the Friday, I got up and nearly called an ambulance, but used warm packs, drugs to calm it down, lying down was the only relief I got.
By the Saturday, I begged my Husband to take me to the GP. The GP's rooms were quiet, but he had no idea what was wrong. he threw his hands into the air and said " I have no idea what to do with you?" I asked him for a muscle relaxant. I had to go to the Chemist to have the script made up, all while my Husband waited in the car. I couldn't get a seat and the pain was unimaginable. I some how got home took the Valuim and the back pain eased, but the severe pain shifted to my left hip. I then know the pain was my hip all along and had referred it to my back. My Daughter cooked food for meals for us and I was in bed for most of the weekend.
I phoned the OS rooms on the Monday, had an appointment for Tuesday, Husband drove me to the appointment, as I wasn't able. The OS said I have room on my list on Thursday (29th November), we both agreed in unison this was the right move.
So I had a left Anterior hip replacement (cemented) on the 29th November. My recovery is very slow and I am in a lot of pain, despite a pain relief protocol. It isn't a walk in the park, by any means. I'm still on 2 crutches 21/2 weeks out. I had 1 week of rehab. As soon as I was home, I was expected to cook meals again and clean.
It is very hard. Lucky I had been cooking some meals to freeze in anticipation of the late January date.
The wound is healing at least on the surface now.
So basically, my hip just failed me. It had other ideas. I haven't seen my Mum since she went into care. But poor Mum is shutting down with her Alzheimer's. I don't think that she has a lot of time left, really.
I'm managing my day to day activities, I am strongly independent. Everything is done in slow motion.
My Daughter has commenced at the Police Academy and her new role is very intense. So I don't ask her for assistance at present, as she is sitting exams and all the knowledge required to become a Police Officer.
Just lucky it survived the wedding, as it hardly caused me any pain that day.
So perhaps some light is now at the end of the tunnel?
 
Back
Top Bottom