Guest viewing is limited

THR Severe pain after 15 months<

Oh my stars @Dickie 1 !!!
I know you were holding off.. But thank goodness it is all done now.
I've heard Jaycey talk about how bad a hip can get and that the recovery can be slow after...
You MUST put yourself as a priority now..and I'm ever so happy you were able to get it sorted.:loveshwr:
All the rest is temporary and you have your BS friends to cheer you on.
This one is going to help that righty too !
Sorry you had a rough go if it, but you are finally on your way.
Keep the faith friend...good mojo and healing hugs coming your way!:console2:
 
@Dickie 1 Well done on getting your surgery done quickly. I hope you get some relief soon. Please don't cook and clean. It will impact your recovery. If your husband or daughter can't help then please call on friends. It is important you get the rest you need to relax.

I'll leave your recovery articles here for you to refer to.
Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?
BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.
 
Hi @Dickie 1
So sorry for all you've been through but hopefully things will begin looking brighter now that you've experienced THR. I echo Jaycey's sentiment, you need help in the home temporarily. Explain to your loved ones that since experiencing major surgery you have neither the physical ability or stamina to keep up with the avtivities of daily living let alone cooking and cleaning. I'm sure they'll understand a re-adjust their expectations.
I hope you have a peaceful week.
 
Layla and Jaycee, I have a friend who cleans my house fortnightly, the rest of the time it is small things that I do to maintain basic levels. I have some freezer meals that I am using up, to make simple meals for us. My husband doesn't help at all. He doesn't get it. I am using ice packs constantly for pain and stiffness. Pain was not well controlled this time around and I have maintained the protocol from the hospital. However, I didn't drop my Targen levels down till I felt ready pain wise to. I have a Nursing background (not in orthopaedics, I was a Midwife) and understand the use of drugs well. I have been quite depressed this week. I have having a afternoon sleep, as I become exhausted very easily, not anaemic. I am sleeping reasonably well at night, but wake at 4 am with pain. I start rehab physiotherapy on Christmas Eve. I will listen to my body and not allow the Physiotherapist to push me, as some do. I do rest a lot and my daughter is taking up the Christmas Day cooking.
Sending you all at Bone Smart a wonderful Christmas time and happiness for the new year. I would like to thank you all for your support and will update you. Merry Christmas from down under.
 
:santawave: @Dickie 1
I've got to get you a signature added...double hippy pal!

I know all seems slow...
We aren't in the best shape before the surgery, are we?
Least I wasn't! Chronic hip pain had me stressed, sleep deprived, and , well....STRESSED!:sad:
Physically, mentally, and emotionally...which is horrible for our immune systems and our spirits.
And you are at the prime time for post op blues...
You should really whine more..
Here where whining is allowed and oh so many folks to virtually pat your shoulder!:heehee: I was SUCH a whiner!
I think that being a midwife would be so amazing. New life, in all its innocent glory.
Did you do this for a long while or will you continue doing it?
I bet that makes for lifelong bonds!

I hope all gets better very soon and you will have a great new year ahead of you.
Comfort and Joy for the season!:merryx:
 
Mojo, my intention was to return to work after 3 months following the first THR (the botched one) in 2016. I was not able to return to work, as we found out 14months later I had been forced to walk and cope on a fractured femur. I took 12 months sick leave, but had to resign after that, as the revision was 2 years after the original THR. By that time, I had been away from work too long. Lucky we were in a financial position to afford my retirement.
No, I am retired now. The job was becoming very stressful and much pressure is placed upon Nurses these days. I needed to focus on getting myself well and mobile again, along with my Mum's Alzheimer's kicking up a notch, I was needed by her. I was a Midwife for over 30 years, and was Nursing for 39 years.
The right hip that had the revision in May, will never be right, it is better than it was, but not great. I think whatever he did to me, the first time around cannot be 100% rectified. The second Surgeon who is so caring did what he could, as he couldn't find what was wrong, until surgery time. My Daughter, came out to see me today and she will drive me to Rehab on Monday.
 
I am glad you don't have to worry about going back to work and can just concentrate on this recovery.
I feel for the situation with your mother...I am struggling with my aging father...he doesn't have Alzheimer's but my best friend's father suffered with it...and it was certainly sad.
Hopefully lefty will be able to give righty proper support..and possibly it will feel better too.
Hang in there! These are early days! Sending good mojo your way!:friends:
 
Thank you, Mojo. My Mother has gone into aged care, but we need to sell the house, but is on hold till I recover. My hip dislikes rehab, but the Physio didn't push me, but as I thought the hip reacted to the session. I am feeling exhausted and I don't have a lot of motivation to do anything much. I had a good Xmas day at my Daughter's home, but was exhausted from that. I know it is early days and this is normal. I have to go back to physio next Monday, but in time, I'll stop going and return to the pool again. There I do my own pace, but surrounded by others with mobility issues and feel well supported. Wishing you all at Bone smart a very happy new year.
 
@Dickie 1
I hope things keep getting better and better so 2019 can be your year.
Do pop by and let us know how things are going when you are able!
Happy one month hipversary!:flwrysmile:
 
Happy Friday to you,
Considering you're only 8 months out from the Revision on Righty and not even One Month post op with Lefty,
it's no wonder you're easily fatigued. Two major surgeries within 8 months with a lot of healing and recovery to still take place. I hope you're able to get the rest you need for healing. You're suffering Energy Drain -

Our body's energy supply isn't limitless. So when we're in healing mode after major surgery
our energy will be used for healing first, not leaving a great reserve for all the other activity of daily life. It is completely normal to feel tired for quite some time. How long....most likely relates to your body's rate of healing. Making our best effort to get adequate sleep and rest is beneficial.
Our body does it's best healing while we're sleeping.

A refresher from the Recovery Guidelines -
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/energy-drain-for-thrs.12415/
I hope you have a peaceful, relaxing weekend.
@Dickie 1
 
Thank you, Layla and Mojo. I thought it was much energy drain than medication making me tired. I do listen to my body and still have an afternoon rest/sleep or whenever I feel tired. I am not sleeping as well at night this time, as I was following the revision surgery, but I do have a reasonable sleep. Thankfully, I am not running after small children, I can just focus on me. I do know that my revision is still healing, it is a 12 month road there. I went to the physio yesterday and she has put me back onto 2 crutches, as my gait is telling them I am not ready for 1 crutch. I love the good, researched information on Bone smart. It is information you cannot read elsewhere. It has sensible guidelines too. I'm a bit emotional as we lost a family member to aggressive breast cancer on the 30th December, this lass was only 30 years old. A very sad time, but out of our control.
Thank you again, best wishes for the new year to everyone.
 
I'm so sorry to hear of your loss.

[Bonesmart.org] Severe pain after 15 months<

It is going to be a very good 2019!
:yes!:
 
Aww, so very sad, Dickie 1. I'm very sorry for your loss, it's heartbreaking, especially at only 30 yrs of age.
Prayers for all who are broken hearted by her passing. :console2:
Wishing you perfect healing in the New Year. We're here for you....don't be a stranger.
Hugs
@Dickie 1
 
I'd thought I'd update you. The acute surgical pain has gone now, only to be replaced pain when weight bearing, like I'm walking on 2 steel posts, deep aching all night that wakes me up, so I am not always sleeping well. I am currently having weekly acupuncture to reduce inflammation in both thighs, as I feel this is contributing to the ongoing pain. The review by the OS at 7 weeks half way through January was positive. He felt I was going okay. It appears one pain has been resolved (the severe pain of osteoarthritis when a hip fails) only to lead to other pain in both thighs. I am attending the pool twice a week for hydrotherapy, but 24/7 pain continues. Does anyone have any ideas what this might be?
I am not enjoying the benefit of the hip replacements in any way, shape or form.
The implants feel rock solid, I can't walk far and if I over do it the pain increases, I am doing most daily activities in pain, it is turning me from Cinderella into the Evil Step-Mother. My GP is not happy to hand out analgesics, so I'm on 6 Nurofen a day, which gives me a little relief. I started back on Lyrica 50mg nocte and this helped a bit x 2 days. My family think I'm fixed now, what am I complaining about?
Very disappointed by this outcome.
 
I don't blame you for feeling discouraged----and until someone has gone through what you have, it is pretty hard for them to understand the magnitude of what was done, and how uneven the recovery can be.

Going through your surgeries, over the past 3 years, has taxed your entire system, mentally as well as physically. To still have pain following the surgeries and feel like you are regressing is so stressful. Most likely if you can let things settle down, and return to the protocols you were on right after surgery in terms of lots of resting, icing, tylenol, etc. you will be able to reset and start improving. If it were me, I probably would take a break from the acupuncture as well. Just try to take some pressure off yourself. I'm rooting for you, and hoping things turn around....soon!!!
 
Thank you Debru4 for your kind words. Yes, it has been a long, long haul and 3 years of pain is draining on anyone's body. I have only just started the acupuncture, and this has eased pain in the past. He is a good practitioner. Yes, my entire system has been taxed and my mental health plummets at times. I just don't understand why I feel like I am walking on steel posts and that the pain isn't reducing. Yes, the acute surgical pain has resolved, but replaced by this 24/7 aching and pain on walking. The 2 implants feel solid this time. I have faith in this surgeon, he is very caring and meticulous in what he does. I am hoping it is time. But my family think I should be 'fixed' now.
 
Hi Dickie,
I'm sorry you continue to struggle and are disappointed in your recovery. Others opinions on where they feel you should be in the healing process is most likely only adding to your frustration.
Have you noticed if the acupuncture is working in reducing the inflammation?
Are you taking anything for the deep aching that's disturbing your sleep?
Since you've mentioned pain 24/7 and you're now 2 1/2 months post op, let's see if @Josephine has any
advice for you. Wishing you comfort and healing as you move forward.
@Dickie 1
 
my family think I should be 'fixed' now.

Hello Dickie, I’ve just read your thread and I am so sorry for the dreadful time you have been through. I’m also sad that your family don’t recognise you need more time and help to make a full recovery.

My THR was 2 weeks after your second hip. I’ve been lucky to avoid the problems you had, I didn’t have the 2 debilitating years beforehand that you had, and my good leg is taking a lot of the load and hasn’t undergone a botched replacement plus a recent revision. But despite all these advantages and quite good progress lately, I’m not expecting to be anything like “fixed” in 2 weeks time. You need and deserve some coddling.

I think you mentioned a neighbour who prayed with you? Is there any way you could reach out to her for practical help? Maybe if everyone in the prayer group fixed you a couple of frozen meals? It can be hard to ask for help but I’m sure you would be glad to help if the position was reversed and someone asked you. Just a thought, please forgive me if it is inappropriate.

I do hope you feel better soon.
 
Layla, all I take now is Ibuprofen x 2, 3 times a day, last dose is at night before bed. GP thinks I don't need something stronger. However, she is not the one in pain. I put myself back onto Lyrica at night 50mg to see if that helped. It seemed to helps for 2 days, then no change. As far as the acupuncture I have had only 2 sessions and the Practitioner said at least 4. I have been to him before, I went to him before the Seattle trip and his work helped the pain a lot. But at $75 a session, it becomes expensive. People see me upright and walking, but they can't see pain.
Klassy, thank you for the support, I hope your recovery continues to be successful. The lady in the prayer group is my friend, I am not a member of this group, so I can't really ask them for help. We were work colleagues many years ago and didn't realise that we live a couple of kilometres apart. I went to the healing session because I was invited and I thought it can't do any harm. I am not offended in any way.
Yes, I am so much better than pain I had when the hip failed, but far from normal and living a normal life.
 
Perhaps if you simply told your friend who is in the prayer group about your struggles, and asked her to have her prayer group continue to include you when they pray, that step would at least offer you some spiritual peace. Most prayer groups/prayer chains are inclusive about who they pray for. And who knows, if you could be also tell her some of the things that are especially hard to manage in your life, they might decide to support you somehow, without your having to ask directly. There is a great power in having others intentionally put us in their thoughts, or prayers, however one prefers to think about it. :flwrysmile:
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom