Sequin98's Pre-op Journey

I also had spinal with sedation, but I did tell the anaesthetist I absolutely didn't want to see or hear anything. I didn't.
 
I was worried like you. I know two people who woke up during their surgery but they said it was no big deal. I had a spinal and sedation and knew nothing. I woke up feeling good actually! It all goes surprisingly fast. Good luck with it all and I am sure you will do really well.
 
I was awake through my surgery. It was a strange feeling, but not in a bad way. The worst part was that I was bored for the entire time, wish I had brought my book in with me.
I could tell that things were going on around me, but I was positioned so I was looking into a corner, and was strapped to the table so there was no chance that I could move. The 'happy juice' in the IV left me feeling slightly detached from everything, so it was almost like it wasn't happening to me. The spinal worked great, I didn't feel anything for hours!
 
When I had my last discussion with my doc he said “when I’m drilling”...yadda yadda... I forget what we were talking about but I think it had to do with the screws I have on the LTHR. I kind of zoned out after the word “drilling”. So of course now I’ve dreamed up this scenario of jackhammers in the OR. :heehee:
 
It was described to me as being a construction zone with hammers, chisels, saws and drill. The sedation kept me asleep, though, so I didn't hear/remember a thing.
 
I know I can't get away from needing a toilet seat riser, but will the optional arm supports be needed?
 
I hated the arm supports and got rid of them. IMO, it's just a matter of personal preference.

Sent from my Venue 7 3730 using Tapatalk
 
I found I used them a lot but I was bilateral.
 
I found arms helpful with lthr. Don’t know how it will be second time around, but i’m setting everything up like before. I have a small bathroom so tough to get walker in front of toilet.
 
Funny, I never even thought about it because they always told me in the hospital back up until your legs are against what you're going to sit on and I always used the arms to lower myself down and get back up without breaking the 90 degrees. I found them useful and sort of safe feeling.
 
I found/still find them helpful.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I vote for the arms. As zinnia said, using them to lower yourself and get back up gave me a feeling of safety.
 
I agree with using the arms also. Easier to keep to 90degree rule. Found my seat very uncomfortable the first few days. Ecause of the swelling in my leg. Now that has gone down it is much more comfortable.
 
I would just tell them that you don't want to be awake. I had a general, and went to sleep and woke up in recovery. I didn't remember or feel a thing. Some people request a tranquilizer. I just did yoga breathing. The pain medications were very effective.
 
I have a meeting with the anesthesiologist on Feb 15th, no actual date yet...I will ask to be out....
 
I must be weird :yikes: the prospect of a spinal with just light sedation and an awareness of what's going on doesn't worry me might be different on the day though.
 
I am leaning toward spinal and sleeping ( however they do that) just don’t want the post general mess-it bothers me more each surgery. However, individual choice, no real wrong way.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom