Sequin98's Pre-op Journey

Is this a bad choice after surgery? I am trying to be mindful of needing #2 soon after.
 
Just my experience but I was told by both a spinal surgeon and a spinal physio that rowing machines are the worst piece of equipment to use at any time. I would think a recumbent bike would be the machine of choice post THR.
 
Gives me the shivers just thinking about a rowing machine post-op, if ever. I used a recumbent bike during early months and I can’t remember when I got back on my spin bike - maybe at a year or so post-op.
 
I am using a spin bike and a Scifit hand cycle for upper body pre op at the moment but hope to continue using post don't think rowing is a good exercise it seems to me you are using your hips at an unusual angle....never liked rowing though.
 
Rowing machines are good for upper and lower body....BUT you need to be sure you're doing absolutely correctly, and probably have a reasonable level of fitness to do so.....it's very easy to get carried away, lose your form, and get injured. Also not good for immediately after THR as you slide forward, bend your knees and your hips bend up towards the body, bit like a lying or semi-recumbent leg press......both make you bend more than 90 degrees,, and you have to be concentrating to make sure you're in control, not doing it ballistically (ie letting momentum carry you). Take advice from a physio if you want to use it, but I would suggest not before at least 6mths (I used to be a gym instructor, helping GP and Physio referrals in a former life, and worked with physios)
 
Thank you for the advice! I have broken two rowing machines, so the chances of getting carried away are sky high.
:rotfl:
 
Thank you for the advice! I have broken two rowing machines, so the chances of getting carried away are sky high.
:rotfl:
Perhaps you should sign them up for joint replacements too! :loll:sorry, getting carried away by the Christmas spirit ......:santaclap:
 
Even my trainer told me to stay away from the rowing machine for at least 6 months after THR - said it sometimes bothered his hips and he doesn't have hip problems.

I used, on limited basis, in the month or so before 2nd THR when weight bearing exercises were more of a problem.
 
I was advisef by my physio to stay away from the rowing machine and leg press as you have to get in a position thats isn't good for your hip and you'll probably do more damage. I don' recall her mentioning the 90 degree rule.
I was advised to use a recumbent bike and swim by my first OS , im unable to use the recumbent bike as it causes pain.i find the cross trainer and upright bike more comfortable.
 
When I had my hip injected with steroids they told me they would give me light sedation and I wouldn't be out completely which scared me quite a bit. To be honest when I woke up I didn't remember anything which was great
 
They referred to mine as spinal with light sedation but they used protocol for the sedation and I was asleep. You just wake up quickly.
 
I recently had a colonoscopy with just the sedation - no spinal. I was asleep before they started and I didn't remember or feel anything until I woke up in the recovery room. That sedative is good stuff!
 
This awful pain from sitting to standing...please tell me a new hip gets rid of this!!

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:sos:
 
Mine did with my first one, but now my right one is being mean! Oh, girlfriend, you are young for this! So sorry.
 
Hi @sequin98 I was thinking same as you. I have had my hip problems for maybe 2 years now but didn't realise it was definitely hips until around this summer they seem to have gone downhill very quickly from then. Sitting to standing is torture as is walking, any slight twist or turn, picking anything up in fact virtually any sort of movement now is just very painful, it is incredible how involved our hips are in any sort of movement at all you don't realise that until you feel them :gaah:and no medication seems to help.I was just saying yesterday to someone that I really can't imagine now not having this pain and can't believe that new hips will take it away I feel as if I will never be able to function normally or near normally again but looking at all the people on here who have gone through this and come through the other side to a pain free life gives me confidence and hope that things will get better as they will for you too it must be more difficult to accept when you are younger though I feel for you stay strong better times ahead :SUNsmile:
 
This awful pain from sitting to standing...please tell me a new hip gets rid of this!!
You know it does! Have a read in the recovery area. That first step post THR is magic. All that pain that you have been planning your life around is gone! Good days ahead for you. Sorry you have to wait.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom