Sequin98's Pre-op Journey

They won't let you have your hip as it is bio hazard. I donated my femoral head to a bone bank. Ask if this is possible at your hospital.
 
As a child, I had my tonsils in a jar of formaldehyde in my sock drawer. The doctor says they were the biggest he had ever seen. Looked like peach pits.
I freaked all my friends out with them.
I suspect my mother disposed of them as they mysteriously disappeared.
 
At one of the visits to hospital I asked the nurse if it was possible to have a souvenir from the op. She looked at me as though I was mad. I said not the whole thing just a teeny little bit to remind me of how brave I'd been and oh the wonders of the human body. Absolutely no chance she said. That's not done anymore for health and safety reason.
 
Toss it with the bio hazards? Could I have it?
Yes very often they are discarded and it's unlikely you'd be allowed to have it.
That's not done anymore for health and safety reason.
Exactly so. But it's not for your protection but of the staff who would have to handle/bag it and the possibility it would be opened in the ward.
He suggested the dogs might like them
Ask your vet - a dog would have to be half starved to eat that! Yuk!
 
What does it cost for a hip?
I have a brutal long wait, but it is free. I have noticed, with envy, some with short waits, but at what cost?
 
It depends upon what insurance coverage you have. My employer insurance has a $2,500 maximum out of pocket--so that will be my responsibility. However, having been through this once, I would gladly pay more for the relief it brings. My doc is currently scheduling 3 months out, so I am scheduled for February (hoping to get it done BEFORE it completely takes over my life this time!).
 
I saw a recent article in which someone did research into the cost of hip replacement surgery in the US (cost of the procedure rather than just what is paid by the patient). It was all over the map - from $15K to $150K was my recollection. Purely related to where you live, how long you are in the hospital, etc. Where I live the average seems to be about $30K and I'll probably be paying $5K out of pocket with my insurance. it would be unaffordable for most people without insurance of some kind.
 
1500 out of pocket, subsidized health care then all free, oh, but not the anesthesia. Add $2800! Guess that's a perk not necessity for double hip replacement....my total bill, hospital, surgeon , etc $130,000
But two hips so....a deal?
 
my total bill, hospital, surgeon , etc $130,000
But two hips so....a deal?

Yeah - a bargain :) The total for my left hip alone for hospital, surgeon and other services was $218,731.47. Out of pocket for me was $3607.73. The wackiness of US health care, though, means that my insurer actually only paid $33,922.36 for their end of it. Can't imagine having no insurance and needing major medical care.

Having the right hip done next year - I'm curious to see if there are major increases (or even surprise decreases) in store.
 
Having lived in the US most of my life I guess I am not surprised at these astronomical numbers. But $218K - that's just silly money! :yikes:
 
My secondary OA was brought on by hip dyspasia. Is the cause of my upcoming replacement. (right side). The X ray showed moderate OA in the left hip.

What are the odds that my new hip will take pressure of my left hip, making a replacement on the left side a decade away?
 
Oh gosh! That's a tough one to answer. Kind of 'how long is a piece of string'! It might, it might not. But if your other hip is also dysplasic, the likelihood is not.
 
Don't project...we are rooting for you.
In the end, we all do what we have to to get well. So sorry you are struggling...
Hope today is a Good Day.
 
I have congenital hip dysplasia. During the x-ray just after my LTHR I asked about my right hip. I too had the same worry. Everything looked perfect.

Fast forward - just over 4 years later my right hip started complaining. In a way it was a relief to get it replaced. No more worry about when it might fail me!
 
Back
Top Bottom