Sequin98's Pre-op Journey

I’ve not forgotten how awesome it was to wake up post-op and the pain was gone. Of course, I was drugged up but nothing helped it before. These days when I start freaking myself out about going through surgery again I remind myself how much better things will be.
 
@sequin98 It's been a bit over 6 years since I had bilateral hip replacement but I still remember very vividly the first time the nurses got me out of bed and onto my feet and new hips - about 3-4 hours after the surgery was completed. I, too, was apprehensive and a bit fearful of having that same old horrid arthritic pain. BUT wonder of wonders there was NO hip pain at all! Yes I was medicated and had had a nerve block so I did not even feel the surgical pain at that time. But I could tell that bone-on-bone pain was totally gone! And while the first few weeks following the surgery were uncomfortable at times and awkward managing with two diced up hips it was truly marvelous to not feel that old kind of pain. Surgical pain is controlled very well with medications. And once the healing of cut tissues and man-handled muscles was completed (about 5-6 weeks for me) I was able to stop all pain meds for the first time in about 2 years! Being able to climb stairs, sit comfortably, sleep without being woken up with hip pain, doing all the usual activities I enjoy with no pain is a blessing every single day!
 
Hi @sequin98 yes that awful pain does go. Honest! But you are left with some operation aches and tender bits but they go soon - as long as you rest, ice, elevate and take the meds. All that fades away in time. Every now and then I have to remind myself 'oh yeah I don't have that hip pain anymore' A great feeling!
 
Yes! I will be at the 6 month mark in a few days. The post-op narcotics made me nauseous; that was the worst part. I tapered off them according to my surgeon's suggestion, and surprised him by telling him I was already off the Percocet at my first (4 week) post-op visit. Since then I've taken Tylenol here and there, but that's it. I came across my temporary handicap car tag this week--never used it.
I hope you will have a similar outcome!
 
Hi,

I am curious what the weight difference would be between my defunct hip and a replacement? Any ideas?

Liz
 
Here's a thread from our Library on this Weight of hip and knee prostheses Some implants are made of titanium - a very light metal. There will probably be no difference in the weight of your replaced hip.
 
You'll be a lot "lighter" on your feet when you get your new hip.
Welcome to bonesmart.
Best wishes with your replacement.
Joe......
 
I'll echo what everyone else has said... the arthritic pain is gone instantly. I tend to forget that feeling of dread when you're sitting semi comfortably and you need to move, but you know it's going to hurt so you put off moving until you absolutely need to do it.
I had muscle pain after surgery... felt like I had done 1,000 squats the day before or something. That goes away pretty quickly.
I had a lingering 'start up' pain, where the first step or two 'hurt' every time I got up from sitting (more of a discomfort/annoyance than real pain), and that went away after a few months.
 
Post surgery I used a standard stationary bike, and walked a lot. Thankfully my surgery was early spring, so my recovery period was the best possible weather for that. I do have a rowing machine at home, and have no problems using it now. I don't think I'd give it a shot until 5 or 6 months post op though, and even then only if you're able to use proper form (controlled movement, engaged core, etc).
 
Hi @sequin98 I concur with what Nicknoc mentioned above. :bignono: For me it's only been walking up until now, and OS has just cleared me for swimming, pool exercises and gentle cycling.
 
Hi @sequin98 , yep, awful pain is gone, just start-up issues when I get up and start walking. Not painful, more of an inconvenience. Feels like things need to get warmed up with a step or two, and then watch me go... :happydance:
 
Did it take for your new hip to feel like your own? I sit on the living room floor a lot, and while I get that it is a luxury I may (will) have to part with, but I wonder, when did it start to feel like a part of you? :what:
 
Hrrmmm good question. I don't really remember the exact point where this happened. But thinking back, probably around 3 months post surgery. I had a posterior approach done, and while the muscles were healing I was always aware of it when climbing stairs. Once the muscles were healed enough that I could climb stairs carrying extra weight such as groceries without effort, I really stopped thinking about it.

I had the surgery in early June and took a trip to Ireland a little over 3 months later and I think that the feeling might have been helped by the fact that the "old" hip acted up a few times when doing a great deal of walking. I stopped thinking about the new one because the old one was being so bothersome. That one is tentatively scheduled for this coming June :)

Not sure you have to worry about not sitting on the floor. At worst I would imagine you will have to do without for a few months at most.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom