Guest viewing is limited

Sequin98's Pre-op Journey

Hi @chasanne I had a spinal and sedation on Wednesday had same concerns as you but really it was no problem they gave me a local in my back first hardly felt that then spinal went in no pain at all just bit of pressure its quite a nice feeling as your kegs slowly go to sleep I asked for light sedation so I could listen to music during op but a few bars into first track I was fast asleep woke up to be honest feeling good numbness in legs wore off quite quickly really nothing scarey at all one tip make sure you drink plenty of water in days before your op helps to be well hydrated with this but obviously stop drinking on day of op as instructed by hospital. Keep positive
 
Hi @chasanne I had a spinal and sedation on Wednesday had same concerns as you but really it was no problem they gave me a local in my back first hardly felt that then spinal went in no pain at all just bit of pressure its quite a nice feeling as your kegs slowly go to sleep I asked for light sedation so I could listen to music during op but a few bars into first track I was fast asleep woke up to be honest feeling good numbness in legs wore off quite quickly really nothing scarey at all one tip make sure you drink plenty of water in days before your op helps to be well hydrated with this but obviously stop drinking on day of op as instructed by hospital. Keep positive
Thank you for this. I never thought to ask about music or anything. That might help.
I never got to speak with any doctors for my pre admit. I only spoke with nurses and OT. I dont get to speak/see the doctor till my day of.
Whenever I asked a question my one nurse said " dont be nervous, just do what we say/prep, show up...youll be fine"
Ahhhh...thanks? Lol


Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
 
@chasanne I know its easy for them to make light of it they do it everyday many times but when its happening to US its a whole different ball game but they are right you will be fine .Glad you found this forum so many kind helpful people here never worry about asking any question even if it seems silly we all understand great to have all this support at the touch of a button 24/7 :SUNsmile:
 
I had a spinal @chasanne which was easy, just as mcopt described. I asked for maximum sedation and next thing I was waking up in recovery as though I had had a general anaesthetic. Don’t remember numbness in legs to be honest. Just remember caring staff. Someone had scared me silly beforehand, by telling me they had been awake listening to music at same hospital, so I was very, very uptight. I now realise that had been her choice.
 
Having bouts of Restless Leg Syndrome while recovering scares me. Should it?
 
No...all normal as those muscles, ligaments, tendons, tissues settle down. Aggravating to say the least. I wiggled then back forth, side to side, incessantly, Good for Circulation!?
Going to be hard to say what, if any, aftermath you will have sequin.
All of us have different issues in varying degrees.
Mine got less and less with time.
 
I had more rls with first hip than I am with second. There was a discussion a while ago on a recovery thread. I believe Layla had some guidance, you may want to tag her.
 
Hi @RLS
Try not to worry, you're just borrowing trouble. The very thing you stress about most may never materialize
but some other minor annoyance in its place.

I'm sorry we don't have an article in our library in relation to hips but if you read through this most
would apply anyway.
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/restless-legs-following-knee-replacement-surgery.13454/

Consider a Magnesium supplement....it may help.
You can read about it online but some of its supposed benefits are:
Supports muscle relaxation and nerves
Supports healthy sleep (falling asleep, staying asleep)
Supports bone health
Supports cardiovascular health
Supports healthy blood sugar
Do some research and see what you think....
Best of luck as you move forward!
 
I ask because I get it a lot:badspidy: now, Wondering how that new hip will jerk about...
 
I had the odd jerk but didn’t really cause any bother.
 
Hi @RLS
Try not to worry, you're just borrowing trouble.

Heh, someone else that says this besides me, though I learned it as "Borrowing Worry". My wife is great at it.

As for RLS, I never dealt with it after my THR. However, my wife suffered with it for years before I finally convinced her to figure out why she spun like a top while sleeping. You could probably be prescribed a small dose of something like Ropinirole to help with that if you do end up having to deal with it. It's worked wonders for her.
 
I know I will need my left hip done at some point...hoping for a while after the right.
While I would like to use the same surgeon, he does not so anterior...would it matter if thr right was post, and the left not? He may even retire by the time I get my left....:shrug:
 
From what I have read, it seems to be quality of surgeon more than approach. My os uses both approaches dependent upon patient. Both of mine have been anterior but the posteriors on here seem to do just fine too.
 
I have two friends who each had a posterior and an anterior. For the anterior, they used the same surgeon I used for my left and right anterior THR. One has a posterior that is quite old and she is looking to have it redone with an anterior, if possible. The other had her posterior done in another part of the country and her anterior once moving here. Both are avid walkers and hikers. Seems not to bother either of them.
 
Can't see that it would make much of a difference really.....perceived wisdom seems to be that anterior is (may) only be better in the first 2 or 3 mths, as in less precautions, and then you can't tell the difference. A new hip is a new hip......
 
After reading on here of the different approaches, in the end all that mattered to me was a successful outcome no matter which way I get there. I thought about it due to precautions and getting my dogs back from boarding sooner.

I know my recovery will be longer than those superpath and anterior people but decided I wouldn’t change from a surgeon I knew well, is highly qualified, and successfully replaced my other hip.
 
Don’t know if posterior recovery is necessarily longer than anterior @hikejunkie, seems more to be different. I think if we are told something is easier it can set unrealistic expectations. I’m not sure about superpath- it seems incredibly quick, but there is still lots of healing.

Just take one hip at a time @sequin98. By the time you get left done they may have yet another approach!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom