Guest viewing is limited

Sequin98's Pre-op Journey

It does vary from person to person. 3 months is probably a good time frame, but healing continues for a tear or more. I agree with @dip, the old hip acting up takes your mind off the new.
 
I don't remember any point in time where I didn't feel like the new one was part of me, it's felt very natural since day one... other than all of the soft tissue stuff. At 7 weeks I was back to work full time feeling good, but it wasn't until around the 7 or 8 month mark where I've started to notice what I would call an absence of sensation where I no longer notice any little pains or differences between the hips.
Right from the very beginning it felt better, and just keeps getting better as I'm able to make more use of it all the time now.
 
I had the same experience, mine felt very much a part of me from the start and I was able to put full weight on it with confidence from day 1. I'm only almost 5 weeks post op and I still think about it a lot, but the absence of pain is the most dramatic difference and why it feels virtually the same as my other hip already.
 
I'm at 5 1/2 weeks now and for the last couple of weeks or so I haven't generally felt any different than before I started having problems with this hip last summer except when I've been sitting a long time (a little stiff when I get up), climb stairs or put on socks and shoes. Even those are significantly better this week and are just residual muscle/tendon issues. The hip implant I don't even feel at all and the slight LLD feeling went away very quickly.
 
Actually what people are describing is not the implant but post-op swelling and pain.
You'll be no more aware of the device than you would of a dental filling!
 
Getting a new right hip March 20. The OS told me during my consult last July, that I would probably need a new left hip too thanks to dysplasia and moderate arthritis. Over the last few days, it has felt like I pulled a muscle in my left hip. A different pain from the right side.

Ugh...what the heck. I want to be on the list now for the left as I don't want it to get to the point my right is before they take me serious.:banghead:
 
I know that feeling @sequin98. Don’t know how medical things work in Canada. Any chance you can get into os and talk to him about it soon?
 
Hi @sequin98.
Sorry you're in pain :console2:
Would you ever consider BTHR? Some Orthopedic surgeons will do it, others won't.
Consider talking to yours about it if both hips are deteriorating and bothering you.
That's if you're brave enough like Gretel, Mojo333, Gaulsuerou, Berber7227 and Irish Joe to name a handful...
I'm not brave enough :yikes: but many are!
 
@sequin98 - I have changed your thread title. As we are an international site, we have to be very careful not to use language that might offend anyone.
 
I agree with @Layla,
Sorry for your ongoing pain.
One of my hips was bad and the other one was getting there fast so after a conversation with my surgeon we decided to do both together.
I was really happy with this because though it was a little tough at the start it meant only one recovery in the end.
Best wishes.
Joe......
 
Consider asking for a a bilateral - one surgery, one anaesthetic and one recovery. We have heaps of people on here who have had them.
 
When I wake up, I try to stretch each leg before I get out of bed.
What will this be like after a new hip? Will I even stretch upon waking?Is this something I will even do/need to?
 
I found myself naturally stretching out my non op hip. They had me doing heel slides (not really sure why) and ankle pumps. You may find your body guiding you when it needs certain movements, if that makes any sense.
 
@sequin98 Your surgery is not until March - plenty of time to contact your surgeon's office and raise the question.
 
I do stretches on my bed before I get up.....I've noticed I can 'hitch' my left hip up and down when lying flat but my right, which is worse, won't shift. I'm expecting (not wrongly I hope) that will change after the op.....but is it one of the 'precautions', bearing in mind there is no bending?
 
They had me doing heel slides (not really sure why)
Nor me! Heel slides are pointless for hips. Not so good for knees either as it happens!
When I wake up, I try to stretch each leg before I get out of bed. What will this be like after a new hip?
They'll be good and you will certainly be able to do them as long as they are gentle in the first few weeks.

You might also note this: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.
 
Honestly, I am not brave enough for a double hip. My other health issues make me nervous enough about the right side.
I will try to see my os about a quicker date for the left
 
I had my left hip replaced last week with a spinal and sedation. I asked to see the femoral head before they disposed of it so they lightened the sedation so I'd wake up and they could show it to me. I did hear some things such as power tools but wasn't bothered by it because I likely didn't make the connection that this was being done to my body. I also remember talking about something but decided to keep quiet because I was having a hard time finding the words I wanted to use. Your anesthesiologist will take good care of you. Just tell him/her what you need. My anesthesiologist came to the surgical ward the next day to see how I was doing. Really nice guy.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom