Guest viewing is limited

TKR SeptemberZen's Bionic Journey

Status
Not open for further replies.
But I got custody of Bumblebee :)

Give me the cat or dog any day you - got a great deal:roseshwr:

On a serious note so sorry you lost your house in the GFC...I can't imagine what that must have been like. It's testament to your strength of character that you are on this forum, sharing and caring the way you do. You have my admiration - Maggie x
 
Hi September we are about the same distance and I find weaning off meds a yo yo I take soluable paracetamol two four times a day the kind of base then dyrocodeine with them I was taking two 30g now cut that two one but keep dose up at bedtime I have tramadol prescribed but find the codeine helps me sleep better


20/01/2015
It's always something, isn't it? Surgery, recovery which includes DAILY pain, and now docs insist on changing up on the meds. I get it....but geez. Sometimes it feels like we just can't catch a break!
 
Give me the cat or dog any day you - got a great deal:roseshwr:

On a serious note so sorry you lost your house in the GFC...I can't imagine what that must have been like. It's testament to your strength of character that you are on this forum, sharing and caring the way you do. You have my admiration - Maggie x
Thanks, @Maggie94. Life was particularly cruel for a few years (lost job, house, ex and I broke up, brother passed away, had no income for awhile. All the makings of a really bad country song! :-))

And now the knees decided to act up! Perrrrfect! But all you can do in this life is play the hand you're dealt, right? ....And time really is a great healer.

Have a fantastic boyfriend now, got a new job 3 years ago, and one new knee 2 months ago! Next year, I'll be in here complaining about the LEFT TKR! Life is good!
LOL! :-)
 
you also have a great sense of humor - keep smilin' girlfriend - Maggie x
 
Harold is working hard tonight....he is a great guy. Mx
 
I know cant last tho as doh ugg derrrrrr flobbbbbbalobbbble

Legin THR Sep 14
 
I followed PT's instructions for weeks but now carry it in my right hand alongside my RTKR. Might be "wrong", but it works for me
If the same side works best for you, then it is OK. Opposite side is the preferred way, but same side is OK too!
 
Hey-hey September....seems like forever since I've been on here to check to see how you're doing. I can relate to your post about trying to walk normal and your gait. My PT was really having me focus on that last week and the week before. He said it wouldn't be a bad idea to have someone video one, so they can see what they are doing right or wrong. I call him and my husband the 'Foot Police' because they were Both making sure when I walked it was heel to toe and to roll off of that toe. It causes you to walk more 'normal' and bend that leg.Last week he had me walking side my side with him and taking longer strides. It's basically learning to walk correctly again. I think I had been walking poorly for so long, it really takes some concentration.
Keep on keepin' on!!!
Connie Jo
 
Thanks, @ConnieJo! Hope you're doing OK and yep, walking "normally" has proven to be difficult! The stiffness and slight swelling are really making it tough, and no one should EVER tell me that the weather is not a factor in this, because it's been raining all day and my leg is very sore.

Honestly, today it feels as if someone took to my leg with a hot poker!:bawl:
 
Wondering if others have had as hard a time as I am weaning off of Percocet? The Duexis, Celebrex, and other stuff take the edge off, but nothing works as well as Percocet. Have been on it for 2 months, and even though my OS feels that 3 months is the max, he doesn't want to refill it for another month.

The thing is, I'm struggling with this a little. I had sciatica in the same leg several months prior to the surgery and right now, in addition to my regular knee pain, I feel soreness from my hip to my knee. Doesn't help that it's also been raining for the past 24 hours!!

Anyway, I skipped yesterday's afternoon dose, took a Perc before bed but skipped the middle of the night dose. It's nearly 6 am here in the NY area, I've slept a disjointed sleep of maybe a total of 3 - 4 hours, and my leg hurts like hell. So....anyone here have a hard time switching meds? How long does this last? ?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
YES!!!! Except Im going from Oxycodone to Tramadol...its not soo much the pain that is the problem switching, its the Anxiety and restlessness and nauseous feeling that I can't seem to shake...freezing one minute and sweating the next...SOO wish I never had to take these pain meds! There has to be a better way for us! For me right now this is worse than the knee pain!
 
Yikes! That must be SO unsettling! Wondering why surgeons haven't developed a regular protocol for this. They cut your leg open, drill, saw, hammer, and twist your leg, send you home with powerful narcotics and then say, "But don't take too much, OK? We're gonna cut you off just when you get used to it, OK? Buh-bye!"
 
We, well at least my OS and rehab specialist are much more relaxed. I can't understand why the Drs in US are so tight with these meds for TKR patients....You 2are not the only ones with these issues I have read about on BS.
My advice is to see your GP (or other Dr) and devise a regime to wean off and transition to other pain relief meds. Maggie x
 
I dropped from oxy to Vicodin at 4 weeks, and it was a pretty easy transition. Tramadol give me vicious headaches and I leanred with first knee that the Oxys sometimes made me feel panicky. Vicodin worked great, and I am finding it fairly easy to cut back.

There is a document some where on how to cut down, and it's slow--like ten percent a week or something.

@Maggie94 American culture in general is very paranoid about drugs, alcohol, anything altering, and the fear of painkillers is just part of that. Exasperating. There are ads running on television now about the death rate from these drugs, and lots of scare tactics. It's ridiculous. My cousin had a TKR the same day I'd di in Las Vegas and has had repeated problems even getting them from a pharmacy. It's crazytown.

I'm luckynto live within 1 mile of two major hospitals and two enormous orthopedic practices, so I suspect the local pharmacies are exceedingly well stocked. ;)
 
Have you tried heavy aspirin and napersen in the mix? I take the 500 mg Bauer back and body and a 325 napersen anti inflammatory pain med together. It seems to work well for me during the day. Then tramadol in morning and evening and only one percercet at night.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I didn't have a problem getting off the Hydrocodone. From what my doctor said, when I was there for my last visit is that it's basically a stronger form of Tylenol. The doctor also mentioned the change of weather affecting how the knee feels, September, if that makes you feel any better.
I felt so much better when I stopped taking them on a regular basis. I rarely ever take one now. I was taking not before PT visits, but I'. Probably done with that now, as well.
If you can manage, I would highly recommend that when you return to work that you.phase in with a week or at least a few half days first, before jumping into full time. I did that this week and was so thankful that I did. I didn't go in until 11:15. I'm still worried about this coming week when I have to be there by 7:15. This morning was probably the earliest I've been out of the house and that was five minutes to eight. As hard as it was returning to work and trying to focus and relearn everything I had forgotten and getting back in that routine, I think I feel so much better to actually getting back to a normal life.
 
Don't know how my employer is going to feel about my working part-time at first, but he may not have a choice one way or another. :-) Guess I'll just have to take it one day at a time. I do think, however, that since I'm due to go back in about 10 days, now is definitely the time to wean off Percocet. I'm fighting it, I guess, because it has brought me excellent pain relief, but it also makes me sleepy and that won't do if I'm working every day. For the last couple of days, I've been skipping doses or spacing them out. But I gotta say, I'm glad I have this place to whine about it. The achiness and almost constant stiffness is making me very frustrated and cranky. Doesn't help that the weather's been very damp in my part of the world. :-(
 
Have you tried heavy aspirin and napersen in the mix? I take the 500 mg Bauer back and body and a 325 napersen anti inflammatory pain med together. It seems to work well for me during the day. Then tramadol in morning and evening and only one percercet at night.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
I might try Naprosyn (Aleve, in my part of the world), but the issue there is that, just like Duexis, you're only supposed to take it every 8 hours. I generally avoid those types of pain relievers because they rarely last as long as they're supposed to, for me. In general, the pain returns at the 5-6 hour mark and then what do you do?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom