TKR SeptemberZen's Bionic Journey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you guys ever heard of percussion desensitization? My scar is super sensitive, and aside from my leg's general achiness, this has been driving me mad. But I recently read an article about "percussion desensitization". Basically you use the tip of your fingers to gently but quickly tap along the length of the scar. Doing this several times a day is supposed to help... and so far, I think it's working!
Yay! :egypdance:
 
Hmmm, I think your right, I had been tapping mine because it seemed to help, now I read this I see why.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I rub Groot everyday, a couple of times a day..my PT did this on my 2nd week of therapy and I about hit the roof..she said I needed to desensitize the scar..the next session she rubbed it and it wasn't as bad...now I do it and it still hurts at time, but not a strong pain, just a quick zinger pain and then it goes away...sometimes when Im sleeping my PJ's seem will lay right on the scar and wakes me up and drives me nuts! Over time the nerves will adjust and life will be more normal..
 
I still massage the Girls every day - at least once but usually twice a day
 
I rub mine several times. Like you mentioned it was sore at first, now it actually feels good. I think it helps the scare tissue to loosen up. We want the area of skin to stay stretchy
 
I will be. Just spending some time on the pity pot.

I hadn't done any exercises in awhile, so I fired up You Tube where there are some excellent PT videos. Didn't do anything too strenuous but when I was done, I was swollen and stiff. I iced, elevated and took a pill but I guess I just hit a weepy wall today. Achy, stiff, frustrated. Just bored and tired of this!

I'll be OK. This, too, shall pass, right?

Thanks for checking in. :-)
 
Correct SZ...this too shall pass. With you on the bored front...Want my stamina back!!!
On the positive I'm picking up 2 whippets to look after over Easter. ..they are a pair that are part of the walking group I help with. It will be so nice to have the click clack of puppy toe nails on my wooden floors☺
Hope you've finished with the pitty pot n weepy wall....neither is a good place to be.
Sending a big hug ((((((SZ)))))) and a smile [emoji4]

Maggie via Tapatalk
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Of course it will pass Zen. All hit this point it the will it ever get better thing. Give it two weeks and you will look back and chortle. BUT its fine to rant moan as they say better out than in.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Good Morning SZ.....allow yourself to have a pity party once in a while and then allow yourself to leave the party...I do believe it is all part of the process...we continue to worry and fret over our knees and trying to make sure we are doing everything right, questioning our decision to have this surgery, wondering if it was "really" necessary (well at least I have been doing this :) ) But we have to allow our minds to catch up and learn to deal with this ordeal as well..it is not only physical, it is extremely mental..especially for those of us who are very independent and prefer to run our lives on OUR schedules...I think once you get back to your normal routine, or close to it you will see a change in the moods....hang in there!
 
I hope you all are right. I was planning to go back to work next week but considering my arduous commute (two relatively short commuter train rides and two buses, or two buses and one long subway ride), I decided to move it back a week. Part of me can't wait to go back before I die of utter boredom (there's only so much TV one can watch), and part of me is afraid that I won't be able to handle the commute plus a typical 8 hour workday. I'm achy, swollen, booooooored and so depressed at not being able to get around very well by myself, I'm fighting back tears all day. I know it's better to talk about it than not but I've always had little patience for whiners and it bugs me that I've become one. :-) Been avoiding posting and talking on the phone for fear I will burst into tears. Hope this time passes quickly.

Glad you guys are here. Really. :flwrysmile:
 
Goodness SZ, I know this part of the recovery sucks, wish we didn't have to go thru it but we do..I am RIGHT there with you..when I was reading your post I felt like I had written it! Especially the part about having very LITTLE patience for whiners and feeling as though you have become "one"..you are not whiner, you are just having a whining moment, we ALL do...I feel like I am the biggest boob and baby out there..I always thought I had a high threshold for pain and was pretty resilient to most things..Ive been living with HIV for over 22 years and AIDS for 7 so I figured that a TKR would be a piece of cake...WRONG!!!! Your commute may be a challenge at first and you will most likely be feeling it for a while but it will get better...The hardest part is the unknown, something that we have no control over....we are all here for you as you are all here for me...so go ahead and let the tears roll and feelings out and then you should feel a bit better! It takes a lot more energy to hide your feelings than to show them, and frankly I don't think any of us have any "extra" energy to give away right now...wish we lived closer, we could be miserable together!

And WE are really glad YOU are here..REALLY...:loveshwr:
 
OK SZ...call to action. Have you thought of doing a dummy run on the public transport to see how you go. Take Boyfriend with you. If you have to get off half way so be it....you have an answer. It will be can adventure....get into the area where you work, have a celebratory hot chocolate then go home.
Is that crazy or do you think it could help put the commute fears to bed? Hope you are feeling more positive, Maggie x
 
Hey Zen its ok and when you are used to being the rock when we do crack its really difficult. In the past I built an impenetrable wall no one allowed in. It is ok to talk about fears and not only feel support, nb didnt say pity. But also get ideas like magwags just gave. Good luck and it will be no time before you are back to normal, whatever normal is.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Good morning SZ, how are you doing today? Did you get a good nights rest? How is the knee feeling? Just checking in on ya.....
 
@SeptemberZen, I recommend using the time you've bought to practice the commute a couple of times. Maybe take the first train out and back to see how it goes. If that feels okay, add the second one in another day. Have that be your "work" next week and a stamina test.

Hope you're back to your positive, upbeat self soon!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hey SZ how are you doing? Maggie x

Maggie via Tapatalk
 
Feeling a little better. Still trying to cut back on the Percs. I try not to take them at all during the day unless I know I'm going to be out and about for hours. I've also been finding that I don't always need the one before bed. If I don't need it, I don't take it and I either take one when the pain wakes me up in the middle of the night or I wait until morning. During the day I try to take ibuprofen or extra strength acetaminophen if I'm uncomfortable.

I will probably get the opportunity to travel by myself tomorrow. I was planning to go to my mother's to do her taxes and the commute is comparable to my commute to work. The Boyfriend was planning to drive me (I don't drive) but he has some other stuff to do and I'm not sure I want to wait for him to work it into his schedule. Don't mean that as snarky as it sounds. :) It's just that I just don't 'wait well'; when I'm ready to go, I get cranky if I have to wait for other people so I'm thinking I can probably manage the trip on my own if I take some OTC meds beforehand and/or pack some for the trip there and back, and leave early in the AM so that I can get back fairly early since I'll be using my cane, which makes me feel vulnerable after dark. Will keep you guys posted on this.

I *might* also delay my return to work. I've been stressing myself out about this and The Boyfriend gave me a possible solution: instead of going back in mid-April, delay it until May 1. He has to go out of town for two weeks in mid-April so I'll be on my own, which is fine. There's food in the freezer, a little grocery store on the corner and a bus stop to take me from the drugstore to the gym if I so choose. When he returns, he will pick me up from work for the first week or so. This way, I get practice going to work in the mornings and if I'm tired and hurting afterwards, he'll be there to pick me up. Depending on traffic, getting home by car is 45 minutes to an hour vs. the 2 hours by public transportation. I'm just about out of sick time but my job is secure; if I need more time, I can take it and my surgeon will gladly write me a note if I need one. I'll see how I feel in the coming week and will make my decision then. We've also begun to actively look for an apartment closer to work. He's retired and likes where we live but recognizes that it's not fair for me to have to deal with an arduous commute for the next 5 years or so in the workforce.

Although I'm still fighting the blues a bit, I'm recognizing that a lot of it has to do with feeling "a loss of control", if that makes sense. I'm not used to having to wait for someone to drive me places; not used to having to pace myself when I go out to make sure I'm not too tired or achy; not used to having to accept help -- it's always been difficult for me to ask for help even when I needed it badly.

Anyway, still working through it but I feel a little better. Thanks to ALL for writing and CARING, and a big thanks to @Josephine as well. I read her story about her recovery without much in the way of formal PT which is more or less what I'm doing and it was VERY inspiring; I plan to read it again when I feel like I'm sinking! :) ((HUGS)) to all.:loveshwr:
 
Great to hear from you SZ... I think going to your mothers' by commute is a great idea as is the delay back to work and only commuting one way. All great strategies to make you mentally (as well as physically) ready to go back to work. Please relax now with these decisions and just concentrate on putting the smile back on your face - take care, Maggie x
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom