Guest viewing is limited

TKR SeptemberZen's Bionic Journey

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was out and about today and forgot to bring Percocets. Had to take Bumblebee the Cat to the vet and it turned out that they wanted to keep him for a few hours for tests so we went shopping. Bought some ibuprofen along the way and took 600 mg after lunch. Eased the pain better than Tylenol but not as good as Percocet. But boy oh boy, what a tummyache! Took it hours ago and my stomach is still complaining. Must remember to carry Duexis with me (ibuprofen and pepcid for tummyache) next time.
 
First of all I hope the kitty is OK, I hate when our furbabies are not feeling well...maybe it is a good idea to keep a couple of those Duexis meds in your purse..now that we are starting to feel better we are finding ourselves out and about now..I soo wished I could take Advil but it is only tylenol for me..glad to hear that you are feeling better!
 
@janmont - thanks! Definitely planning to keep a few Percocets in reserve for the occasional rough day. I'd been averaging about 4 a day-- one before bed, one in the middle of the night, one shortly after breakfast, and one some time during the day or evening if I was in pain or doing PT. Most recently I started eliminating the one before bed, and then last night I slept through my usual 4 am "feeding" :-) Guess we'll see how it goes.

@Spencieca - So far, Bumblebee is OK. Looks good, is eating and pooping, which is always a good sign. Should have test results by Monday. I kind of chuckled to myself: my leg is achy and my stomach is raging, my cat is under the weather, and my boyfriend has serious dental issues as well as diabetes. What a motley crew we are! :-) :-)
 
Bumblebee sounds like he is not feeling too bad if eating and pooping - I'm with you on this view:wink:. Your knee is settling (slowly) that leaves poor boyfriend.... hope he gets dental sorted soon and diabetes is under control.

In my house it is only me (at the moment) - I usually have a puppy but sadly not at the moment...role n November and new puppy for me.

SZ keep posting about getting off the night meds - these are the only ones I take - this week I went back to 15mg oyx (long acting) at about 6-7pm with and usually an 5mg oxy (short acting) thru the night and may be 2xTylenol equivalent round dawn (to get me to day time and no more drugs till next nite). Night pain is the worst!!! day time just walk it off (read slow stroll but only if it is helping) or ice and elevate.... perhaps icing at 1am is worth a go - did you do this at all? Maggie x
 
4:00 am and just took a Percocet. Leg's been really achy for last 30 minutes. Didnt take anything before bed because that 600 mg of Advil taken this afternoon really tore up my stomach. Iced and elevated when I got home so I was only slightly achy before bed.

Should have taken the Perc immediately when I woke up 45 minutes ago! What made me think I could just tough it out??

@Maggie94 - Bumblebee was scooting around on his butt- very unusual for a cat, especially an indoor cat. Turned out he had a little blood in his urine; they think he may have a UTI so they gave him antibiotics. Might have to change his diet also. We'll see.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
never thought I would have much in common with a cat but Bumblebee and I feel much better when we eat and poop..now if only I could scoot around on my butt I would never give ROM a second thought...hope Bumblebee feels better.

Vinny
 
@SeptemberZen so get what you are saying
Should have taken the Perc immediately when I woke up 45 minutes ago! What made me think I could just tough it out??
You sound just like me - don't need it, I'll get by with this etc then about an hour later you hit the big pill...should'a done it first up. I think its called being stubborn:flabber:

Poor little Bumblebee...dogs do this with worms...don't know if cats are the same:sorry:
 
Scooting on butt can be an indication of worms in a cat but unlikely if the cat is strictly an indoor cat, which all of my former felines have been whether they liked it or not. :-) He was also slightly dehydrated. We'll see what the tests show but he looks better today.

And yes, I'm an idiot for not taking the pill sooner. I'm one of those who wouldn't even take an aspirin unless I desperately needed it prior to surgery. It's been hard moving into a different mindset about taking medication.
 
Yea, I hit the pain fall off once early in the morning around 5:30am. O man did I get woken up fast.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
My last pain pill to go was the one before bed. By then I was on hydrocodone instead of the oxycodone.
 
Very possible to have dependancy issues with Percocet sometimes not easy to get off..

Vinny
 
Glad to hear Bumblebee is feeling a tad bit better...saying prayers for your boyfriend and his ailments, no fun...I don't know what it is about those of us who try to muscle through the pain and skip meds...I did it this weekend and boy did I pay for it..the blues, nauseous, just over all cruddy feeling..went back on the 5mg of Oxy every 4-6 hours...I have decided to take this one day at a time..I am concentrating on my knee and feeling better again and once that has taken place I will work on the pain reliever issue...not even sure there will be one, but if there is, I will tackle it one day at a time.....
 
You're singing my song, @Spencieca. Yesterday I was nauseous and had an upset stomach from the ibuprofen and also alternately crabby and stressed. My non-op knee was giving me problems also, and for a moment, I felt tears spring to my eyes. But I fought them back. .... I don't cry easily or often and I realized that I was stressed, achy, frustrated and impatient for all this to be over!

Took a Celebrex this morning. Hours later, we ran a few errands today and I didn't take a Percocet before we left. Did OK. We'll see how it goes..
 
I'm not an easy crier either but since this surgery you would never know it! I do feel better today..hubby hooked up the trainer for my bike in the living room and I rocked on it for 10 min.today..the knee was a bit looser so that made me happy..now I am at my petsit and they have a couple of stairs out on the deck in the back so I went out and did a set of 10 up and down with Groot" knee..scary at first but I did it..now I'm icing and elevating while hanging with the pup I'm watching..There is a light at the end of a tunnel and it's not always the train! Hope you have a good night's sleep!
 
Sometimes I think a good cry is therapeutic and it can get rid of toxins, too. Sounds like you have a lot on your plate between cat and boyfriend and other knee, too.

My cats are indoor cats…sort of. We have an electric fence and they wear collars to keep them in the yard. So they get the best of both worlds. Hunting and fresh air and sunshine, but no coyotes or cars or foxes. They also come in at night.
 
Sometimes I think a good cry is therapeutic and it can get rid of toxins, too. Sounds like you have a lot on your plate between cat and boyfriend and other knee, too.

My cats are indoor cats…sort of. We have an electric fence and they wear collars to keep them in the yard. So they get the best of both worlds. Hunting and fresh air and sunshine, but no coyotes or cars or foxes. They also come in at night.

Ex-boyfriend and I rescued Bumblebee from the street about 10 years ago. I've had one cat or another my entire adult life, and all have been rescues from the street or shelters but Bumblebee is the only one who I've had to watch like a hawk if there is a door or window open. He is quite the escape artist! I had a house at one time and we had planned to build some kind of enclosure off the back deck so that Bumblebee could go out and still be safe. Alas and alack, the ex never got around to building it, lost the house in this last horrific economic downturn, and we broke up 5 years ago.

But I got custody of Bumblebee :)
 
I am saving my spare percocets for my next knee. Great pain killers indeed, but I can't imagine taking them long enough to get "hooked". Percocet paralyzes my intestines, ugh!

I heard that, @Clipless! Activia yogurt and trail mix have been a HUGE help in bringing on the poop fairy! My OS didn't want to refill my prescription but my boyfriend has some in a higher strength, 10/325 instead of 5/325. Have no need for them now but it's nice to know they're available. The other benefit I find with the Percocets is that they help me sleep which is a blessing for this lifelong insomniac!
Still, I'm cutting back and weaning myself off as requested by the doc. ("So long, Percs! I'll miss you!")
 
I'm not an easy crier either but since this surgery you would never know it! I do feel better today..hubby hooked up the trainer for my bike in the living room and I rocked on it for 10 min.today..the knee was a bit looser so that made me happy..now I am at my petsit and they have a couple of stairs out on the deck in the back so I went out and did a set of 10 up and down with Groot" knee..scary at first but I did it..now I'm icing and elevating while hanging with the pup I'm watching..There is a light at the end of a tunnel and it's not always the train! Hope you have a good night's sleep!
Glad to hear you're feeling better, @Spencieca! We certainly have our up and down days on this journey, don't we? Boyfriend has been a saint, dealing with my occasional crabbiness! I'm a pretty easy-going person most of the time but lately I've been quite the crank! Maybe another aspect of weaning off Percocets? Who knows....but it's back to work for me in about 2 weeks and I've gotta be Percocet-free by then.
 
Hi September we are about the same distance and I find weaning off meds a yo yo I take soluable paracetamol two four times a day the kind of base then dyrocodeine with them I was taking two 30g now cut that two one but keep dose up at bedtime I have tramadol prescribed but find the codeine helps me sleep better


20/01/2015
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom