TKR SeptemberZen's Bionic Journey

Status
Not open for further replies.
@janmont - They did do the massaging before doing anything else at PT. First they did the machine with the electrodes on the side of the knee, supposedly to "stimulate the muscles", then they would massage the knee with two different types of creams. It felt good except for a few areas where the incision is sensitive and the PT kept mashing on that spot even though I told her that it hurt. Yet another thing that annoyed the hell out of me: I told them that I had regained most of the feeling back in the skin over the knee and that it was hypersensitive to the touch. To me, that means, "OK, I'll massage around that area but not put too much pressure there since it hurts". To them, it meant, "She's just the client, I know best so it doesn't matter whether or not she complains of pain." But I didn't fight them on it; I let them do it because I didn't want to seem like a total witch, complaining about everything. But again, when I began to see that they weren't interested in doing anything but pushing on my leg, I just didn't see any point in continuing. At nearly 8 weeks, I think I should have been doing more than leg lifts especially when they saw that my extension is nearly perfect and my flexion is pretty good. It felt to me that since I was a new client, they insisted on starting me out in the regimen they use for everyone no matter where they are in the recovery process.

Today, I practiced walking up and down the stairs in my apartment without the cane. I went up and down about five times -- not gracefully, mind you (haha) and not easily, but I did it. On the way up, I had to grip the banister for dear life, but I was able to get up without doing single steps. Then I used some resistance bands to stretch, did a lot of walking around slowly with two canes (I have several; boyfriend had health issues in the past) to work on my gait and did stretches against the wall to flex my knee which went pretty far back, nearly to my butt. Yay, me. :) Will try the sit-to-stand exercise tomorrow. Thanks!
 
I agree the should have not massaged where your knee was sensitive. Mine was for a while, the covers on the bed bothered me. My pt told me to lightly brush different materials over the area and that would help; it did it for me. I am ok with everything now. I am surprised you did the stairs 5 times, that is great! I feel good about doing one set, I am slow and carefull my rom was 117 when I was done with pt but to do stairs it feels like I need more. Just go at your own pace you'll get there.
 
The stairs were great. They were neither painful nor exhausting, just clumsy. :-) I didn't do it more than 5 times because I was bored and wanted to do something else. :-)
 
Just came from my 2 month follow-up with my surgeon. He was very pleased with my progress, and said that I am right where I should be at this point. I told him that I was a little concerned about still experiencing so much stiffness and occasional swelling. He said that not only is that perfectly normal at this stage, my knee may feel warm to the touch for up to a year.
I also expressed concern about transitioning off of Percocet. I don't often take them during the day but at night, I am still in a lot of pain. My surgeon's PA had recommended extra strength Tylenol but i tried it and it did not ease the pain AT ALL. He said that Advil would work better and he gave me a prescription for Duexis, which is a mixture of ibuprofen and famotidine (sp?). Never heard of that last one but anyway, the med includes pepcid to make it easy on the stomach.

He also suggested that i wear a knee sleeve (not a knee brace) when I'm exercising or doing a lot of errands. He said the compression sleeve helps with blood flow and eases swelling, so I guess I'll go and buy one.

Also, I was pleased to learn that he agreed with me about the PT, that they sometimes have their own agenda. When I told him that they told me to "yank" the strap that was looped under my foot, he was appalled. He shook his head, "No! You should not do anything that causes you pain!"

I love this guy! Next follow up is in July.
 
I'm sorry hear your PT's are not being beneficial anymore. I agree with your decision and I think if you know how to do everything there's no need to pay for them to do it for you. I feel like the PT's role is to show you new and innovative ways to improve your knees and the function after knee replacement. The last session I had with my PT they showed me how to stand up without using my walker or my hands from the sitter position. She also told me that she thinks eventually I will be able to do the step lift with my leg with no problem. I'm in a small town and they just have a small town physical therapy clinic and they work really hard with all the patients. Please keep us up-to-date on how your progress goes.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Good to hear the good news from your doc! I agree with the sleeve, they sell them everywhere..I used to where one when I was pretty active and my knees were acting up...Keep up the good work, looks like it is paying off!
 
Thanks you guys! Still fighting the blues occasionally wanting all this to be over, but it's helpful to know that my recovery is where it should be. When my surgeon reiterated that it takes about 6 months to really recover, I teased him about the fact that medical professionals often say that you'll probably be in good shape to drive and go back to work within 6-8 weeks. A friend of mine knows someone who just went back to work after 7 weeks and she is really struggling, trying to get through the day. Clearly, no one would consent to the operation, I teased him, if surgeons told the truth! Ha! :rotfl:
 
Hi @SeptemberZen

What a great report. You're doing so well. I like the sound of your surgeon, very sensible and realistic man. I think returning to work also depends on the type of work you do. I envy people but never ever begrudge them when they drive at seven weeks. Oooohhh memories x x x

Keep up your very sensible approach. Well done x

Love Nana moon 27 xxx
 
He also suggested that i wear a knee sleeve (not a knee brace) when I'm exercising or doing a lot of errands. He said the compression sleeve helps with blood flow and eases swelling, so I guess I'll go and buy one.

What kind of sleeve and who makes it?
 
There's a website called Tommy Copper or Copperwear (can't remember which right now; you can Google it). It's a sleeve made from cloth that fits closely on your knee sort of like the compression stockings that they put on you in the hospital -- only these are black and only fit your knee and a little over your thigh. You can order them online and I've also seen them at Bed, Bath and Beyond of all places. Funny thing -- I work as a payroll administrator for NYC Transit at one of the larger bus garages. Many of the bus mechanics wear these sleeves to ease their achy (arthritic) knees! I was going to buy two of them for my knees a few months before I had the surgery but never got around to it -- and lo and behold, my surgeon recommends them! Who knew? :heehee:
 
Funny you should mention knee compression, I have been wearing compression pants with a light weight knee brace over that. I put them on when I know I will be on my feet and boy it makes a difference. I've had this pesky pain in my glute on the operated side and now soreness behind that thigh, knee and calf. Does the back of the leg bother you? I even had a Thai massage today and it made it worse, tomorrow may be better. I just know that leg is sore, it is worse than the knee. I ordered some compression stockings for dress but the pants are great. They are not Tommie copper though. Let us know how you like them.
 
Will do! Tommy Copper isn't the only brand of knee compression sleeves, I'm sure -- it's just the brand that I'm familiar with. :-)
 
hey SZ (hope you don't mind my short hand) - I had a pair of compression pants that I was going to use for long distance air travel - didn't happen - have them on now and they are sooooo comfortable - they are cyclists compression pants - I got mens' cause of the gusset in the crouch rather then the seam - all for comfort:yes!:. Mine are form Aldi - kinda Costco type store - not very expensive - cheers Maggie x
 
Don't mind the shorthand at all ... and I'm very familiar with Aldi. :-)

I'm guessing the compression pants serve the same purpose as the knee sleeve, more or less; they just cover more territory. :-)
 
you got it - like a pair of tights - ankle to top of hips - also hold yr butt in - YEY
 
I found those Tommie compression stocking available at our local Orshens and at Walgreens. The have them for knees, elbows, entire leg, shoulders, even an entire shirt.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Wondering if I've turned a corner...!

At nearly 9 weeks post-op, I slept almost the whole night without taking my pain meds. I can hardly believe it! I generally go to bed some time between 11 and midnight these days. Like clockwork, my leg has been waking me up somewhere between 3:30 and 4:00 am every single night for the past two months. I get up, walk around a little, go to the bathroom, take one 5/325 Percocet, and with any luck at all, I'm back to sleep within a half hour or so. Last night my leg let me sleep until nearly 5 am. To be sure, it was aching when I woke up but I was able to doze off a little before I absolutely had to get up to take a pill. I've heard that sleep comes a little easier for some at the 2-month mark. I have to transition off of the Percocet to something new: Duexis... and I was a little concerned about it. Haven't tried it yet because I still have some Percs left but I guess now's as good a time as any. Doc says I should transition by skipping doses if I can (already been doing that for weeks) and then taking half-pills or substituting the Duexis for the Percocet.

Wish me luck, ya'll....
 
I am pulling for you. Vinny posted a paragraph on his thread about getting off narcotics, his OS said being on them retards recovery. I am taking Vicodin now but I need to get off it too.,How is your activity level other than the PT? As you increase your mobility, you may have to save a few Percs for odic days. I know you will feel better if you get more sleep and the healing will be faster.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom