Guest viewing is limited

THR Seeing the Light!

By the time I came around, Layla already expressed what I feel is the right way going forward.
I feel like you are also under medicated as you describe waking up in severe pain.
Are you still taking prescription pain meds?
 
Yep. Taking 1000 Tylenol every six hours AND tramadol every six hours AND Celebrex 2x/day.

I did walk carefully and probably I wasn’t ready yet to “go rogue”.

:yikes::yikes::yikes:
 
Your body will tell you when it is time.
Stay with the walker for a day or so or Part of the Day..try cane for short stints.
It does sound like you are doing all right way...just need more time.
Keep the faith, it will come.
 
I never used a walker after day 1 post op. I preferred one crutch and then transitioned to a cane. Many members report pain when first trying walking without any aid. Transition to a cane or crutch if you feel ready but there is no rush.
 
Thx @Mojo333 @Layla .
@Jaycey: your situation was super different than mine. I was avn with collapse and your dream scenario was never gonna be part of my movie.

It would have been nice,.but had to learn to live with that disappointment.
 
Aww, that's too bad. It will come. I'm sure it gets a bit frustrating.
Just take it slow, only practice a little then wait to see if you're hurting later.
I think I'd give it a rest today though, or until you feel like you're back where you were.
We're here for you :friends:
@lovesstars
 
I guess you are a rock star
Nope - just had far too much practice on a crutch pre-op. You'll get there @lovesstars ! In my experience what seems impossible one day is very easy on another. Give that hip and rest and try again another day.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @lovesstars

Here is my take.

I would strongly recommend going from your walker to two crutches, then to one, the to a cane or two walking poles. Here is why. Like Jaycey, I have a lot of experience with crutches from my previous hip arthroscopy, where I needed to transition from non weight bearing (6 weeks) to partial weight bearing (another 2 weeks) to full weight bearing (2 more weeks). Unlike a walker, ctrutches allow you to take a full and more natural stride. You can move much faster as well, while still controlling the amount of weight you put on your leg, while at the same time strengthening all the little stabilizer divers if you hip and leg muscles (crutches require a bit more balancing than a walker). As you stride lengthens, your muscles will both lengthen and strengthen. Once you are to a point where you can consistently put 75% of you weight on your op leg (could be a few days to a few weeks), ditch the left crutch so you are down to one (left op leg, right crutch). Use this single crutch instead of a cane until you can reliably put all you weight on the op leg and are using the crutch more for balance assistance. At that point, move to a cane or walking poles (poles are better in my opinion as they produce a proper stride).

It is a bit of a long process, but it will help your muscles slowly adapt to walker notmally. Also, remember that with a walker, we have a tendency to lean forward when walking (the walker almost forces that), so the crutches will help you to unlearn this forward lean.

Cheers
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@lovesstars - Sorry about the pain. Not sure if this applies, but I had a very bad experience with "standing on one leg" pre- surgery days that was pretty shocking to me but demonstrated how much extra weight and pressure is put upon that other hip when we "go flamingo" like that. Like you did in kitchen. So I'll share it in case it might spare someone else extra pain.

Early last year I was doing some volunteer work outdoors that, unbeknownst to me that morning, would require me up being on my feet, on concrete, from 6:30 am to @6 pm --in poorly cushioned flat booties, with too little water and next to no real food after breakfast. Because I'd already had right hip hurting at that point -with diagnosed OA on both sides but righty being the worse one -- after about 4-5 hrs of this, angry right hip was growing so sore that I started standing flamingo, on left leg only, to relieve it. On and off when I could, for rest of day. And it allowed me to continue without so much righty pain as left leg was the "good" one then.

Had one 40 min break where I sat down. That evening, driving home I had to pull over twice with killer foot / leg cramps that grew to severe by bedtime. Up all night with new pains and cramps that, for one of the only times I can recall, would not respond to magnesium. Then new deep painful aching in left hip and leg. After that I went to OS and was informed I had a Labral tear on left, the one bearing the added weight that day. And from that day forward, left side was now the pained one, by far, my limp changed to accommodate. I booked it for first surgery.

The morale of the long story is...(and this was really news to me then)...just the act of putting ALL my weight bearing on to that relatively ok-but-still-arthritic hip, for part of a long day, given hard surface and no real rest--- just standing with that double pressure was, in itself, like an actual "sport" or exercise ...to a weakened hip. Sounds stupid or even common-sensical- I should've known, given the double burden on one poor hip...but I'd have never thought that before, in those pre-THR days. There was minimal walking involved, a few blocks here and there, but it was the standing on one leg that broke the hip down to the point of forcing me to get to a surgeon. That was hard to fathom for a mountain hiker at the time. But I've since then confirmed with righty, that an arthritic hip can actually tolerate very little added weight bearing before it will deteriorate further. And I'm not a heavy person.

So ...I'd avoid standing on one leg! Unless that one leg has zero arthritis or hip weakness issues.

Feel better!
 
Last edited:
Thanks for your input. My doctor recommended that I stay with the walker because it gives me a firm frame. I am standing up straight. Thanks, though.
 
PS a lot of the walker navigation and preference depends on the type of Walker that you're using too. The 4-wheeler with brakes and seat is sooo much better than the hospital issued one they send you home with. Which is so hard to maneuver. The "Drive" Walker and the Ossur ice machine were my two best purchases. My walker has really helped me through so much and allows me to decide how much weight to place where as I get stronger, between upper body and legs, without compromising posture. Works well on wood or carpet or outside. Love my walker!
 
@1stSurgery: This from from my post-surgical packet:

“Progressing to a Cane or a Single Crutch
You will likely discharge home from the hospital with a walker or crutches. You should use those at all times immediately after surgery for balance and support. At some point, you will be ready to progress to using a cane or a single crutch. The timing of this is different for everybody, so here are some guidelines to use to help you know if you are ready to progress to a cane or single crutch:
- you have minimal to no pain or soreness in the hip when walking using your walker or crutches
- You are able to stand only on your surgical leg (single leg stance) with support of your hand on the counter top or the back of a chair for 30 seconds.
- When walking with a can or single crutch in front of a mirror, you do not notice any side-to-side differences (such as limping on your surgical leg).

Progressing to No assistive Device
One goal after a total joint replacement is that eventually you will not longer need to use an assistive device. Again, the timing of this is different for everybody, so here are some guidelines to us to help you know if you are ready to progress to walking without an assistive device.
- You have minimal to no pain or soreness in the hip when walking with a cane or single crutch.
- You are able to stand only on your surgical leg (single leg stance) without any support for 10 seconds without wobbling.
- You can walk around a small room in your house without grabbing for furniture or counter tops as support
- you find yourself forgetting your cane or single crutch when you get up to walk in smaller areas of your house.

- When walking without any device in front of a mirror, you do not notice any side-to-side differences (such as limping on your surgical leg) “

 
Sorry for the confusion... I did not mean you should ditch the walker. I meant, when you are ready to move on from the walker, don’t go straight to a cane. Rather, go two crutches, one crutch, then a cane. But use the walker as long as needed. Again, sorry for the confusion.
 
That's a pretty good detailed guideline, wish I'd gotten one like that. Yes, once surgery side is in and has healed ... that's different. Stand on it one legged with no support, I guess as long as you're enjoying it! But, point is, never do that to a natural hip with any pre-existing arthritis in it! Or you're asking for trouble!
Edit to add: they say stand on surgical leg flamingo style for ...10 seconds. For the test to go without devices.
 
Wow, @lovesstars, it must be so frustrating for you to have to still be using the walker and not being able to graduate to crutches or a cane. I absolutely hated my walker and within the first week was already trying to take a few unassisted steps. I am tall so maybe that contributed to my frustration with the walker. I felt as if it wasn’t sized properly, a touch too short (although the PT was the one who set it up in the hospital) and consequently I hunched a bit and spent too much energy pushing and maneuvering the dratted thing around and not enough focus on my posture and gait,

A friend loaned me her walking poles and after a bit of research (thank you, YouTube!) got them appropriately sized. It has taken a bit of practice but I feel as if I am doing pretty well, using one (right hand, same side as replaced hip) rather then two. This forces me to stand erect and be more deliberative with my gait. I wouldn’t say it’s completely easy or comfortable (those first few steps can be a bit wobbly) but it is a huge improvement over the walker.

I found the information from your post-surgical guide was really informative. Wish I’d gotten that much from my skimpy post-surgical handouts! I just got sent home with the walker but no directions for how to transition to anything else. I suspect for some reason (not sure why, just very grateful!) I am ahead of the curve as it’s not even two weeks for me and I’ve ditched the walker. But I can also put full weight on my operated leg/hip. It’s stiff and a bit sore but I am happy about my progress so far.

I hope you “graduate” soon, when you are able to do so with reasonable comfort and confidence. But we are all different and the pace of recovery will vary. But, we are ALL going to get there in the end. Hang in there!
 
Last edited:
@Barbaraj I am so happy for you that you are “ahead of the curve”. Thanks for sharing your amazing progress with all of us.
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom