Guest viewing is limited

TKR Second TKR'

You can do those exercises on your own. Just google knee extension exercises.
 
Just don't tell him you're not going. That's what I've done, and he's happy with my movements! He asked if I was still doing pt and I said yes. It's not a lie, I'm just not going to pt!
 
Tell your OS that you do not feel PT is helpful and you feel you can do better on your own.
We had that discussion yesterday. I have a week's grace to show progress. Looking at my previous knee's progress at this point (12 degrees), I'm not sure I can make any real progress in one week. But I am trying!
 
If in the end you go back to PT, see someone else, you have the right to choose who you see, and go to the PT clinic you want.
 
I haven't measured in a week or so, but then it was 115/4. There's no reason to measure today because I'm swollen from yesterday's work-filled day.
 
I assume so. Does anyone know for sure?
 
@jmdearras , six weeks before RTKR my meniscus tore one last time and left my right knee "locked" with approximately 20° extension. Immediately post op it was 0°, then quickly reverted to 15°. I didn't begin formal PT until 6 1/2 weeks post op (my choice) and left them 6 weeks later for insurance reasons. After that I did all my own PT at home. To help with extension I would sit with leg extended and a towel roll under my ankle. Then I draped two 5# padded ankle weights just above and below my incision. I'd relax into this stretch and hold as tolerated, usually for a minute or two. When I went back to work at 18 weeks I still did not have quite full extension, but I wasn't particularly concerned and neither was my OS.

I am now 10 months post op RTKR and extension is approximately -2° for both knees. How can I tell? When I recline on a flat surface with legs extended and quads tightened there is no space behind my knees and my heels lift above the surface an inch or so.

My lab puppy destroyed one of my ankle weights approximately two months ago and I've yet to replace it. I walk a lot at work, work out at the gym 3x/week (nothing extreme), hike, and ride road and mountain bikes for fun. In other words I have resumed my favorite pre-OA activities.

My conclusion on achieving full extension? No special PT necessary. Life gets you there, and is a lot more fun!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your reply!
Immediately post op it was 0°, then quickly reverted to 15°
Both mine did about the same, I doubt your pre-op extension was any factor. And I will do it that way, I really just want my OS onboard!
 
how far did you progress under PT?
I didn't! My recovery didn't really "take off" until I was ~12 weeks along and done with PT. I am one who finds PT somewhat overrated. I only went for a while because I didn't my OS to chastise me for not going. Turns out he didn't mind at all, and he can't argue with my results. We occasionally run into each other at work and walk together. He is younger, but I am faster!
 
I see that your RTKR is only about 2 1/2 weeks old. Why is your OS giving you this early "deadline"? It's not time to worry about anything except healing. Honestly I made little headway on extension for the first three months.
 
I see that your RTKR is only about 2 1/2 weeks old.
I think the OS is concerned about the loss of extension from day one until yesterday. Caught me off guard, the other knee did exactly the same thing. He is not looking for 0 degrees, just signs that I can make progress on my own.
I only went for a while because I didn't my OS to chastise me for not going.
That's my issue, I don't want the OS displeased with me. :)
 
Is your LTKR nice & straight/full extension now? If so, remind him that this is how you heal. You could also postpone your next appointment for a few weeks.
 
  • Agree
Reactions: Suz
Yesterday was my three week anniversary. unfortunately, my brother went to the Hospital via EMS for what turned out to be a diverticulitis sac burst making a hole the size of a dime in his large intestine. I headed to the hospital, also, only to find the ER parking lot was full and the main parking lot handicapped was full. I had to park in a deck across the street, and the ER was on the other side of the block-long building.

Bottom line, surgery went well, and I walked well over 2 miles total. My knee is really letting me know that was a bit much, however I had no other option.
 
I pray your brother does well and that your knee calms down. You know the Bonesmart routine!
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Members online

Back
Top Bottom