Hello Everyone ... I am back again on the recovery side. I will read all your inspiring and caring posts a bit later but just wanted to fill you all in on the past week.
Thursday 21 August ... Day 1 ... Arrived at hospital with darling daughter as comforter. Discovered was first in OS queue, so everything sort of flowed through each stage of the process. Went into theatre at 9.30 and into recovery at 11.30. Thankfully, different to last time, I did not have a massive anxiety attack. Different to last time too I remembered being in the operating room, remembered them holding the mask over my mouth and nose, remembered the recovery time (last time I had no idea of recovery and only remembered from back in the ward). Felt tremendous pain, not only in knee but in quads and down side of right thigh. Settled into bed - all the usual hospital routine. Still in terrible pain, but everyone was trying their hardest to bring it down for me. I know they say no two knees are the same, but this is ridiculous. Had no effect from the anaesthetic last time, this time was nauseous and dizzy. Same surgeon, same anaesthetist, same drugs - totally different reaction. First night in and out of awareness.
Friday 22 August ... Day 2 ...Spent day in lots of pain. Everyone still all doing all they could to get and keep it down OS visited and explained this knee was in much worse condition than the left and he also had to do a lateral release, which he hadn't had to do with the left. Tried to eat - no appetite. Physio came and that was when I realised this leg was impossible to move. No sideways movement, no lift at all. A LOG.
Saturday 23 August ... Day 3 ... Woke after night where I seemed to sleep a lot, but it was not restful. Day 3 blues set in. On day 3 with the left leg, I was lifting it right off the bed myself and bending to some degree, but I knew I couldn't compare. Was so down all day and feeling so "off". No bowel movement yet. PT came and we had a little walk - not too easy because I couldn't put weight on the operated leg. Had a shower - best thing that happened all day. Ate lunch and straight after became 'wonky' - my stomach felt like it would open up and swallow me. Begged to be taken to commode. Pulse was racing, heart rate was climbing. I was sitting on the commode with the door wide open and quite a collection of nurses and my PT gathered around in the open doorway and another doing a blood pressure check while I was on the commode. They had to bring a fan in for me. No bowel motion. Back to bed after passing a lot of wind and feeling much better. ECG was performed - showed atypical pattern. Great consternation. However it settled and coronary unit reviewed ECG and did not feel the need to follow up -fine with me. I don't think my body likes being constipated.