Guest viewing is limited

TKR Second TKR Done, but still not very patient

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @nana Moon27 yes we do find out a lot by going thru this. In the long run as long as I am physically stronger I will be happy. Who knows maybe even find new friends. BTW I have been reading your posts - you have also had an interesting journey. I will visit you soon but you entertain me a lot! Xoxoxo
 
Hi Ellen, haven't heard from you for a while, I know you said internet access was a problem, but just thought I'd drop in now to say "hi, I'm thinking of you". I hope you are ok and managing on your own with those gorgeous dogs. Lyn xx
 
Hi @Ellen sweetie............just dropping by to visit & say hello..........hope your knee is behaving & not getting too upset about you moving house. I'm doing fine -" it's OK for now!" Blessings. Love, Kerry
 
Life is so busy for everyone these days, it is no wonder at times that we all feel unloved & neglected. My family is no different:gaah:! I have felt lonely, desperate, sad, teary (sometimes VERY) but then I think about others who are in greater pain the I am, who don't have a family, or a dog/cat/birdie, & whilst I am still having a "misery guts" attack I can see that I am not really too hard done by. Ellen, I would be more than happy to talk with you, private email you & do anything I can to help make life easier for you:friends:. You are loved.........& even though we have not met (other than on BS) I feel I know you well........if you walked down the street I would know you:yes!:! Hope today has been a better one for you, honey! Blessings, Kerry:cheers:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Ellen, thinking of you. I hope things have settled down with your dogs and they are adjusting to their new life and new surroundings.

I am taking it easy today as this week was a little more exciting than planned. We had a blizzard come through and since i work in a hospital, had to spend the evening, night and than the next day at work. I had to be available for the evening/night but especially the next day. Normally, when this happens and everyone makes it in the next day you can go home but I was short staffed so had to stay the day. Also, had tickets to a concert - The Chieftains- thank goodness my husband drove. All this was Wed to Thur and than on Fri had to work also as I had already given a bunch of staff off so had no one to cover me. The worst part besides being tired is the fact that I am salaried so unlike everyone else that stayed and was paid overtime, I get paid the same amount.

The long hours and sleeping on a stretcher really took the stuffing out of me. I no longer bounce back as well as I used to when I was in my 30s or 40s. Knees were also both tired and a bit achey after all that fun- I guess not really the knees but the soft tissue and muscles (what muscles I am trying to grow back) around the knees. Also, I have my weird groin pull on the left that makes it hard to lift my left leg up on stairs. This has been with me on and off different degrees for a long time now.

Just a bit of whining from me. Needless to say, with the hours and tiredness my weight watchers was not being followed - though I did try to eat somewhat healthily.

Ellen, let us know how you are, does not matter if it is not good, just share it with us. We do care. :console2:
 
Hello everyone. I am so humbled by the number of you who took the time to visit and visit again when you did not hear from me. I know we all have knee recovery in common, but I get so much support and feelings of love and comfort from this site, I don't quite believe it. There are quite a few of you I would love to meet and hug - you are certainly very special to me.

@Ellejay @leejaa @pakline @Jozilla @Nana moon 27 @robynhood I will be dropping by your threads to talk to you all individually so will post an update about me here now. Still no internet at the new house ... looong story. Short version is that the NBN Co came out yesterday to connect me to the NBN and run cables out from the house to the communications pit. The pit apparently serves so many houses and they are placed a certain amount of metres apart from each. Looong story short - the builders of the house next door have cemented the new driveway right on top of the pit. Don't know how long this will take to resolve, but is very frustrating.

New house is going well. Still sleeping with a light on at night and I have the dogs inside with me even though it is not allowed under the lease. They are doing well, but finding the days very long home by themselves. Between my op and ex-hubby's retirement, they have had someone home with them for a very long time.

I am standing on the edge of the black hole now, having climbed up very slowly and painfully, and starting to take one or two steps away from it. Don't want to risk falling back in.

The old house has been sold. It only took under a week, but is a long settlement, which I don't mind at all. It will all be done and dusted by 28 April 2014. The price we got was a good one and will allow us to have a bit each left after paying the mortgage (which was huge) and personal loan. Ex-hubby thinks my new place is a storage unit I think and I am having to fight to stop everything in the old place ending up in my garage. I don't mind boxes and things in the garage. It is quite a large one and plenty of room for the car as well, but I do not want anything in the house proper that I cannot or will not use.

Yes, the challenge has started. First week was abysmal. I was still struggling with the black hole and was not in the mindset I should have been. My worst start yet to one of these challenges. Second week has started off better, but not yet where it should be. Still, I lost 2kg in the first week, so it's a start.

Exercise for the challenge? Well, I was struck by how much my restrictions messed with my mindset. One of the things I do in these challenges is push my body to its limits, but this is absolutely impossible this year, or I should say, its limits are very very reduced. I miss the exercising to exhaustion the most I think.

However, with nothing much else to do, in the last week, I decided to join the ODIC. I did my personal training session last Wednesday and it consisted of doing the weekly strength workout for the challenge. We had to find our 1-RM (which I think is the heaviest weight you should be able to lift if only doing 1 lift). We had it in squats, chest press and dead lifts and the object is you select a weight and it should be heavy enough to only do 8-10 reps. If you can do over 10, you have to add more weight and start again. Then there is a complex process of multiplication and division to work out the 1-RM. My PT was happy for me to do it only in chest press, which I do lying down, so no strain on the knee, but I decided to do all three. While disappointing on previous years' results, I was quite pleased that I got through them all and came out with a 1-RM which was low, but acceptable, for all three. The Friday night after that, I joined a class called X-Training. It is a HIT class (high intensity training) and is done quickly and without stops for 30minutes. I must admit I was a bit surprised at how much I was able to participate in the class, although my trusty swissball was beside me for when I couldn't stand any more. Push-ups were done off the bike handles, burpees were done by just stepping them out while leaning on the swissball and mountain climbers done the same way. Saturday morning we had the first group bootcamp for the challenge (my team is Awesome Angels - red colour). Again I was surprised at how much I could participate, although anything involving running was not done, (or I walked) and again I reverted to the swissball when I had to. Sunday I did a boxing class at the gym (60mins) and again, very surprised, but happy with my participation in the class because I just love boxing. And again, swissball was handy and close by. Last night, because I had the day off, I went to the gym for a 45min boxing class (yes, swissball in tow). The instructor last night said she changed her planned routine as soon as she saw I was in the class. She did not do any running, or other cardio exercise, and we boxed continuously for the 45minutes - exhausting but exhilerating. Straight after the class I had personal training, which is usually a boxing session because I do strength training on Wednesdays. So I boxed again for 30mins. I was so full of myself and so happy I could participate.

Today my knee has reminded me that IT is still in control. It is tight, swollen and very angry at me (which is to be expected). Note to self - 4 days in a row us NOT to be done again.

Also, while warming up before boxing last night, I did full rotations on the bike for about 3 minutes - slowly and still up in the nosebleed section of the seat, but full rotations they were. I did not get too excited though, because I did manage 5 full rotations a few weeks ago and it has taken until now to repeat it.

TBC
 
..... Sebastian's 3rd birthday is today. Oh, and Sunday afternoon, (after boxing in the morning) Kim and David had a little party in a local park for him so he could run around with his cousins and friends. To help explain his adorable personality, I have put a bit of an interchange between myself and Sebastian below:
“Hello Sebastian … can I come to your birthday party?”. “Nanna – my name is not Sebastian. I am Leonardo”. Half an hour later “Hey Sebastian – come over and see what Nanna has”. “Nanna – I told you my name is Leonardo” (with a disgusted look on his face). Some time later “Hey Leonardo … come and have a drink of water. You look a bit hot”. This time arms thrown up in the air, a pitiful look and “Nanna – my name is Optimus Prime”. I said “pardon me, I missed the changeover”. Hilarious. That child, like all grandchildren, is pure sunshine on legs. (If you don't know, Leonardo is one of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Optimus Prime is the leader of the Autobots in Transformers).
Unfortunately I am not seeing as much of him in the new house, although realistically they are only about 15mins drive away. I am going over there tonight to give him his birthday present. (You guessed it, it is a large Leonardo toy complete with his kitana swords).
Now - to my non-surgical knee and Achilles Tendonitis. Both are horrible and causing much pain and disability. The Achilles tear pain is worsening as I get more active. I have ditched the crutch as I felt I was relying on it too much. I know you are not supposed to do without support until you can walk without a limp, but I limp on the non-surgical leg anyway.
Now - to my TKR knee. At the moment, as I said, it is swollen, tight and angry at me (to be expected). Lot more icing and elevating ahead (will we ever be able to live without icing knees I wonder). The flexion is no better than it was - approximately 80. Maybe 85 on a really good day. I see the OS at the end of April and will be talking to him about getting the right knee done (I really cannot believe I am contemplating that). Realistically, I KNOW it has to be done or I will never have any sort of stability in the knees. If we agree to go ahead and do the right knee, I will ask him to do a bit of a manipulation while I am "asleep".
Still, the rhythm of life is slowly coming back and I just have to learn not to get too carried away with it as I did lately. Little bit at a time. (I was going to say "baby steps", but honestly, if I hear those words again I will rip someone's arms off and beat them about the head with them). It seems to be all my friends can manage, apart from "you're strong". I forgot to mention in my rant the other week, that with friends who have surprised me with their "absence", so have I been surprised by the number of people I would not have pegged as close friends, who have offered support and encouragement.
Which brings me full circle back to my marvellous and wonderful friends on Bonesmart. Once again, thank you all so much for watching to see updates and if there are none, bothering to try and find out why. I truly, truly appreciate it.
As I said, I will visit everyone's thread individually (probably tomorrow now as the workday is nearly over), catch up with everyone and how they are going and give you your own messages of appreciation.
Take Care All ... Be Kind to Yourselves
Love and Hugs ...
Ellen
 
Hi @NetballKnees, you don't know how pleased I was this morning to find your message, I was getting very worried. I knew that things were difficult, and when you stayed away for a while after last weeks message I imagined you were in a very dark place.
But......what a lovely positive post, you have been so busy. I'm glad the sale of your old house is going well, I hope you don't end up with boxes you don't need in your garage, to contemplate a life ahead without all those things in the garage/ shed that you've never understood or felt the need for must be wonderful. Let's hope your internet connection sorts itself quickly.
I was totally exhausted after reading your post, all that exercise, you must be so fit. I thought I was good, I have 3 gym sessions a week, a Pilates class and an aqua aerobics class, plus a daily walk, but I'm a mere beginner compared to you.
Sorry about the Achilles problem, I know from experience how painful that is and can only sympathise with you, I wasn't coping with a TKR when mine was a problem. In fact I blame my knee problem on the Achilles, I limped so badly for months it started to affect my other knee.
Your grandson sounds just gorgeous, don't they just wind us round their little fingers, and do we mind - not at all!
I am having my two year old to stay for four days just before Easter whist my son and DiL have a short break, I can't wait.
I am having a week with my brother in Cornwall next week, I'm looking forward to some walks along the beach, it will still be chilly but I can wrap up, hopefully my knee will behave itself. It's not too bad these days, it wakes me every time I move in bed, but I get straight back to sleep so I can live with that.
Must go now, so lovely to hear from you and to know you are ok.
Lots of hugs, xxx Lyn
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @NetballKnees I'm ever so glad you got right away from that black hole and come back to us. I was extremely concerned when I read yr post. Welcome back it's so lovely to hear from you.

I wish I'd got some if your energy and ability to down at you are doing. My knee positively ached when I read what you've been doing. Well done on 2 kg off. When you think it's a bag of sugar or 4 packets of lard it's a lot! Well done you! This weight loss is going to be one big smack in the teeth for your so called friends if and when you see them next. I love it. Good for you!

I so love 3yr olds. Working with 3-5yr olds was the best experience ever when I was in my last job. I still miss that so much. They are adorable and their imaginations know no bounds it's lovely. My youngest grandchild is 7 and I have four others up to the eldest (pictured with me on the avatar) is 18. That pic was taken last September on his 18th birthday. They grow up so fast it's scary! I also have four step grandchildren by my sons partner. Christmas is crazy!!!!

The other thing is I already talked to you in my previous post about friends. It's surprising like you say, who does turn up to see that you are ok? I've had two work colleagues come over the last two weeks separately and they've been wonderful, absolutely brilliant. Ellen just remember this. The old friends are the one with the problem not you. Do not allow them to deflect their own slackness and lack of their support and understanding on to you. You have done nothing wrong. You're the one that's had this major surgery. It is not like going and say having a skin tag removed! Appreciate the people who do bother with you and take the time out to visit. They are important. It's no good beating ourselves up about our old friends not visiting. That is their fault, not ours.

This site is fantastic. I have made so many friends on here and the support is amazing. I just looked at the posts only thread and you have a wonderful network of people around you who care deeply.

I look forward to hearing from you when you get a bit of time. Take care and look after yourself, you're doing brilliantly.

Love Nana moon 27 x x x x x
 
Lovely to read your posts this morning. This operation takes us on a different direction in life with a lots of twists and turns and pot holes to fall down. This is where we find out who are true friends are thats for sure. Things seem to be progressing with the house and you will be glad when the sale of your old house is settled. I too was surprised when you said you were going to sort out TKR for your other knee. I know I will need one in the future but can't bring myself to even think about it yet. I'm just not brave enough. Please be careful with your exercises. The ODIC is not a good place to be very often and ROM will come in time with gentle exercises and a whole dollop of patience. So welcome back to your Bonesmart World which is the best place to be at the moment. I cant bear to leave 18 months later. Its a comfort zone. Your grandson sounds wonderful. Grandchildren are our reward for not strangling our kids when they were teenagers. Take Care. Pat xx
 
Hi Ellen - so glad to hear from you! You have been so busy and active. I am not even close to that kind of activity. The boxing sounds fun though! Sebastian sounds like a sweetheart. As my grandson will be a year old in April I am sure I will need to learn about the Ninja Turtles again. I have been used to all the Girly things with my granddaughter who will be 12 in June. There is nothing better than when their imaginations take over. Your new place sounds lovely and I am glad your doggies are adjusting! Keep us updated - we love hearing from you.
Regards, JoAnne
 
Ellen, wow - I am tired just reading about all your exercises. Wonderful - even if you are elevating and icing. I think you needed to feel you could overdo just like other times. Now, be kinder to yourself.

I am glad the house sold and you are settling in. Smart not to let things in the house that you do not use- it is too easy to accumulate.

I have to run now, going home after coming in at 445am this morning and it is now 430pm and I am pooped.

Will write more soon. So glad to hear of your exploits. Lee
 
Netball knees
Just read your post and understand that
you are feeling disappointed and abandoned by your friends. This is something we all face and you are not alone on this. With regard to wanting to use food as the solution, I am always reminded of the quote, "if food is not the answer, try to really know; what was the question?
The book Don't Sing Songs to a Heavy Heart, might be of help as it talks about how to lift your spirits and others without being condescending. Wishing you the lightness of being knowing others in Bone smart have positively worked through the same issues you are facing and are there as a source of strength.
Pippi
 
Ellen, I hope you are being kind to yourself and still doing the exercises you love so much but not overdoing.

Thinking of you got me on my exercise bike today and I put in 30min at level 3 course 3 and hit 6.9 miles which is pretty good and then went for a short walk outside in the fields. Now if I could get the energy to do it more often.

Seems like you have now a chance to expand your list of friends. Sometimes it is opportunities to get close to others at these times that makes it possible to get through the sadness of who we thought of as friends not being so supportive and understanding. I do realize it hurts a lot.

Hopefully you will get your network connection soon at home. It must be hard to be without it. Our weather just does not want to begin spring and we have more snow coming. It has been a different winter this year. Global warming is playing havoc with the weather patterns around here.

Let us know how you are , good, bad or indifferent. It is OK, we are here for you no matter what. Have a good week. Lee:console2::flwrysmile:
 
Hello. I'm back and I have internet at home now, although I am doing this in the lunch break at work. I can't thank you all enough for visiting me Lyn @Ellejay @Nana moon 27 @robynhood JoAnne @Jozilla and Lee @leejaa and a new visitor @pippi.
After all your kind words and concern about my gym work, I have to report that I have cut out all gym work for the moment and taken myself out of the challenge. It is mainly for financial reasons - it costs nearly $180 per fortnight during the challenge period to pay for the additional stuff and I did it all as a knee jerk reaction to the devastation I felt when the buyers for the house terminated the contract on the grounds of an "unsatisfactory" building and pest report. I thought "right - let's get my finances sorted" and with no prospect of a bit of extra money coming at the end of the month after settlement of the house, I cut out anything that didn't have to do with keeping the roof over my head, and feeding myself and the dogs. I did it quickly and efficiently. Of course, because I acted quickly and proactively for once in regard to finances, we got another contract on the house the very next day and that one is sailing along very nicely with the building and pest done and dusted and the new buyers having no problem with it. I have elected not to go back though because the intense pain in the non-operated knee and my achilles on that leg is causing me a lot of dramas. Walking the dogs will have to do for now and even that leaves me whimpering in pain as I return home after. But that's the way it is right now. So I have to "suck it up Princess".
As for the TKR - well, I am 24 weeks tomorrow and flexion is still hovering around 80 - maybe on a good well-lubricated day about 85. I had two small success attempts at the gym on the upright bike at doing full rotations - very slowly and with no resistance - but unfortunately this did not continue and I can no longer do full rotations, so still no bike riding. I find this very deflating. As your own TKRs for most of you would be, it is still tigbht, numb and tingly (sounds stupid to say "numb" and "tingly" at the same time, but I know Bonesmart people will understand). Funnily enough, the longer it remains numb and tingly, the more it seems to bother me. There is no pain there though, unless I try to bend it further than it is willing to go and then there is a really sharp pain that stops me in my tracks. Oh, and there is an ache at the back of the knee that is a bit bothersome, but compared to the other leg, it's nothing. After a day of being on my feet (last Saturday I walked the dogs early in the morning, came home did the housework and then got things prepared for dinner as a couple of friends were coming to visit and brought in the washing (oh, I hung it out too) and just as I was about to sit down and ice and elevate, realised it was only 30mins until said friends arrived, so jumped in the shower and got myself all bootiful and when they arrived I was done. The TKR was swollen and tight and I simply could not walk on the other. Still it was a good night.
My mood and mental state though is much improved, although still with some down days and days when I just do not want to get out of bed.
Speaking of bed, sleeping is really good now. I only wake a few times a night for my usual trips to the little girls' room and go straight back to the land of nod. Still using a pillow under whatever leg is on the side I am lying on though. Have resumed using the crutch. I realised I was not using it mainly because other people were disappointed when they saw me using it. I only use it to support the non-operated leg anyway as it is very unstable.
I don't do stairs very often, but sometimes I make myself do them for practice. I am still the dancer though (a Fred Astaires). I am actually very surprised at how much stairs frighten me. I am also scared of walking on uneven or strange terrain and absolutely terrified of falling. I have not been on the floor since the op last October and have no idea if I could get up or not.
Still, all in all, I am much better off than millions of other people, so just need to watch the amount of whinging or wallowing in self pity that I do.
I see the OS on 27 April to make sure the TKR is tracking well and am getting a referral to him for the achilles problems. Maybe next time he could do everything - TKR on the right, achilles repair on the right and maniuplation on the left. That would certainly be a good use of his time. Although I still think having the TKR done was one of the worst things I have ever done to myself, there is no bone on bone pain like on the right and if I had to have another knee exactly the same as the left as far as bend goes, well at least I could probably walk without pain, feel stable and not have the bad back pain I am developing because of the weird way I walk. So yes, I will be having the other one done.
Anyway, lovely Bonesmart people, that's me in a nutshell at the moment. Thank you all once again for caring and visiting. I do appreciate it so much.
I hope life is being kind to each and every one of you. Take Care ...
Big Hugs ... Ellen
 
@NetballKnees hello! Just passing some info to you. I private messaged Jeano about 10 days ago , since she hadnt posted in awhile. And she responded. She is better than ever and asked me if netballknees was still posting. So I had to check your profile page and relay to her , when your last post was. it hadnt been awhile either. She did say that she withdraws from something during easter, that cussing wasnt working ! So bonesmart had to do without her humor for awhile. Till easter I suppose. Just thought id relay that to you. Take care !!
 
Hi @NetballKnees, I've just woken up and logged in and was so delighted to read your post, it's great that you are connected again.
I loved the 'Fred Astaire' line, very funny. I completely understand about your fear of falling, that is my main worry whenever I go out, I'm terrified, I just don't know how I would get up. I can do floor exercise at home, but then take a good five minutes hauling myself up on the bed and other furniture. My operated knee is still numb and tingly, I know exactly what you mean, I don't like the feeling at all. Unless I twist it I get very little pain from my new knee, but the other one is really playing up. I had an injection into it last month, but it is already wearing off, and I'm now limping again, but on the other side. The new knee just aches a bit, and then suddenly stiffens and swells if I've done too much. Because it's not painful I don't build in rest periods into my day anymore, and then regret it, I've got to remember to still take things easy. I still need to ice and elevate in the evenings. Hopefully when you get the other knee done things will be totally different for you, they do say no two knees are the same. I'm hoping I can hold on until next January to have my left one done, and then just completely re live the beginning of this year all over again :gaah:.
I had a hydrotherapy session yesterday, my Rom is slightly better than yours, at 100, but my PT thinks that is as good as it's going to get, and it's not good enough to ride my bike so I'm not at all happy. I will continue to work at it to try to prove her wrong.
I'm glad that you managed to get another contract so quickly, I hope it all gets sorted so you can relax. It's probably not a bad thing that you aren't exercising quite the amount you were although I'm sure you are upset not to be taking part in the challenge.
I wasnt on this site much last week as I couldn't get an internet signal - I was able to get out of the house for a trip last week, we went to Cornwall, the most south westerly part of England. We hired a small cottage and had a lovely time, a few beach walks, days out, it was great to get away from home and break the routine my knee was forcing on me. On Friday we are off again, this time to North Wales, a very mountainous part of the UK, I won't be climbing mountains this time, although I've done most of them in the past, but hopefully the weather will be good enough for some beach walks. We are staying in a rented house with my very oldest friend, we met at teacher training college in 1972.
Well, I must get up and start my day, my dear husband has brought me my breakfast in bed, but I need to start cooking some meals and cakes to take with us on Friday.
Ellen,it's so great to hear that you are ok and happier, I have been thinking of you often, take care of yourself, chat again soon xxxx Lyn
 
Ellen, so good to hear from you. I am happy that your house is in the process of selling again. That must have been so stressful with everything else going on. You are remarkable with everything you have done considering your operated knee and the fact that your other one is so unstable and has Achilles tendon issues. Moving and adjusting to living alone, taking care of 2 dogs including walks and working full time. Housework and laundry. I am doing well and feel too tired at times for housework.

Smart move to use the crutch again for stability no matter what others think, after all they do not have your knees. There is no sense getting another injury somewhere. I think fear of falling is there for a lot of us - I am doing well and I just don't want anything to go wrong. I hope eventually I will get over that.

It is kind of funny, my knees are great compared to yours but some odd observations that my latest knee the right recovered faster and yet it seems to be continuing to get tight and swell some (not a lot) with working full time. I am still glad that the bone on bone pain is gone but the other aches and weird things are still around. I keep telling myself a year or so it will all go away. Getting my husband to understand that I have to rebuild after years of not being able to do things and after two surgeries is sometimes difficult. He thinks, OK knees are done you should just be able to jump back to what is"normal".

I do not believe my weight gain is helping any and the stress from work gets to me too much. Unfortunately, that is not getting any better. I just keep telling myself - just a few more years. Had a bad 2 weeks of not being too good about food - I know it is silly taking out my stress on myself but knowing something and doing it are two different things.

Ellen, keep posting and sharing with us. We are here for you. Let us know what the OS says at your next appt. I hope he will agree to do all of the above that you wish at once and get your other knee/leg to a good stable condition.

Take care. Lee
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom