Guest viewing is limited

TKR Second TKR Done, but still not very patient

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gosh, how exciting Ellen, your own home! You are such an inspiration to us all, you grab life with both hands and carry on your way. I wish you all the luck in the world, you deserve it. Xx
 
I can't wait to see pictures!! You don't have much time which would be a good thing for me as I over analyze everything. I have been working on that for years and I am just a little better. I live your new mantra. Take care!
 
Hello sweet @Ellen:kittykiss:, you are a great support to so many of us here on BS & I just wanted to offer you some support on a particular subject.........I am a past master at this lymphedema capper.........inherited it from my Mum's side of the family! (Thankyou Mum, in Heaven!). As you know I've done the bandaging thing:gaah:..........special compression bandages made by 3M. The ones used on me were Coban 2. They aren't cheap, but, if you can get onto a support program from your hospital or get a prescription from your doctor for them, most medical funds will subsidise for a certain amount. They are put on in what is called a "short stretch" manner & changed twice a week. They have a "comfort layer" which is a very thin layer of foam rubber on a bandage type material - the foam goes right next to the skin, then there is the actual bandage layer which sticks to itself! They are not overly pleasant, comfortable or nice looking, BUT, they do work:yay:. I had 3 weeks of them prior to Christmas & resumed again post Christmas for another 3 weeks. Measurements were taken at every change & eventually we got some numbers to work with to get the stockings made to fit exactly to my legs. They aren't cheap either, not very sexy, but do work, &, if you are like me & wear slacks/pedal pushers all the time - that camouflages the look. Mine are knee high & they are surprisingly comfortable:yes!: even in 40 deg. heat. I don't have mine on right now, as I felt they needed a good wash:eeeuw:, and my leg feels naked! The swelling around my knee (post op) has also reduced with the help of the stocking so all-in-all it has been money well spent. One has to pay for the first lot of stocking/s, but medical funds will subsidise further ones if you have a script. Sweetie, I know how lymphedema hurts..........so if you can manage a massage (or some stockings) I have found success & comfort. On another note - your new house sounds perfect:cheers:........you will make it a most welcoming place, I know, & it will be peaceful, & if you can get a bit of fun out of the moving & settling in, that will be a bonus! I like the idea of "acceptance for now" - I will also try that! Sorry this is a bit of a ramble sweetie - I just wanted you to not feel afraid of the bandaging & compression & know that, down the track a tiny way, there is comfort! Much love to you. Kerry:friends:
Oh yes..........new wheelie walker has arrived & it's electric blue with a bonus bronze coloured walking stick! Damn.......no steak knives! Will put up a pic soon. xx
 
Thank you Jacki, Jo, Lynn and Kerry for visiting and being so supportive. Thanks for the information Kerry. I have an appointment booked with my GP next week to see what he says and maybe further from there. It doesn't matter if the stockings aren't sexy - honestly my new walk is so sexy the stockings couldn't possibly detract from it :rotfl:
My new mantra nearly had a very short lifespan. :hairpulling: As I was rolling over in bed last night and swinging the TKR leg, I heard a "twang" in my back, or a "twing" or a "ker-thump". Anyway, this pain shot up from my lower left back in my little fat deposits above my left buttock and right up to my left shoulder. I couldn't move, I could barely breathe and when I went to sit up, couldn't. My goodness, I thought, what now? Anyway, the pain subsided and I went off to sleep. Next time I woke up to go to the loo - same thing, but I had to get up and stagger worse than ever to the loo. When I eventually levered myself off the loo (that was painful and hard) and staggered over to the sink to wash my hands, I saw myself in the mirror and honestly I was moving like a giant silverback in a gorilla troop, or, and this might set the scene for you, the way the apes walked in the original Planet of the Apes movie. Back pain has persisted through the day, I'm sorry to say, but is now confined to those (well I have them) fat deposits above the buttocks - left side much worse than right.
I had to go out at lunchtime and pay the bond and first 2 weeks rent on my new little home and it is stinkingly (I think I just made that word up) humid out there. By the end of going into the bank, waiting in line and back out and then wandering into a shop to see if I could replace my favourite casual red shoes that I lost (oh, I must tell you this story some time - it's a beaut), I was getting slower and slower until I felt like I was marching in place. My back hurt, my non-surgical knee hurt and the TKR was getting tighter and tighter and swelling. I just kept sayng "accept for now, accept for now". Anyway, I am back at my desk in the air-conditioning at work, and also with a fan blowing on me and guzzling down the water.
One positive about it is that I am running out of body parts to aggravate. :snork:
Kerry, I'll keep you updated on what doc says and whether I will need to join the special stocking brigade. :) You be careful with that jazzy new wheelie walker. Shame about the steak knives.
Take Care everyone .... Ellen
 
Just for now, not forever. I have to admit that sounds like a weird thing to have happen to your muscle (is that the gluteus?)!

Okay, you've gotta spill about the red shoes now!!!

Come on, you know you wanna....

Hehehe
Jacki
 
Red shoe story ... I had a pair of lovely casual red shoes that were casual, but not too casual, so I was able to wear them to work when I returned from TKR. My legs loved them - they seemed just the right height and if my feet became swollen during the day, I could just slip them off under my desk. Now I don't know if other Bonesmarties need to do this, but because my knee won't bend very much, getting in the car can still be a challenge and sometimes the mere fact of wearing shoes that add a smidgin of length to my foot can make it harder, so I always take my shoes off before I hop in the car and when I hop out, take the shoes off first and put them outside the car and then step down into them.

One day last week I was quite tired in the morning and did not feel like making lunch, so I decided to drive to the local store on the way to work and get some stuff for lunch. (Why I thought this would be less tiring than just making it at home, I have no idea - but that's another story). I pulled into the carpark, opened the car door, put the red shoes on the ground neatly together outside the car, swung my legs out, sat there for a minute and decided I couldn't even be bothered getting out, swung my legs back in the car, shut the door and drove off. I'm sure you all realised a long time ago that yes, my red shoes were still neatly positiioned side by side in the parking spot. However I didn't realise it until I got to work and there were no shoes to get out of the car. Luckily I had some really casual ones in the car. I rang Geoff who drove straight down to the shop, but they were gone. He asked in all the shops, but no-one had handed them in. I was just absolutely amazed that someone had my size feet (11). They must have looked so neat and appealing lined up beside each other. Too much to resist.
 
Hi Ellen - hahaha!!! what an exciting life you lead. The Red Shoes could be made into a mystery novel and then a movie! Very funny though I am sorry you lost your comfy shoes.

My mother always drove barefoot. While bringing me to the airport when I was 17 she lost a shoe at a toll booth. (She always missed throwing the coin in). Of course she wasn't aware of this until we got to the airport and she had no shoe to wear. She ended up wearing my black high top converse sneakers which looked beautiful with her dress

Sorry to hear of your back issues. I know all too well what that is like. If you have one try a heating pad. I take mine to work with me and it really helps with sitting so much.

You have a busy couple weeks coming up. I am looking forward to more exciting stories as you begin your new adventure!

Best regards, JoAnne
 
Oh, Ellen, poor you, I have a pair of bright red shoes, I absolutely love them and I'd be so upset to lose them. They're not that comfortable, and don't have any support in the soles, but just for an evening out I feel so good in them. I can't wear heels any more, but these at least are pretty shoes. I hope whoever took your shoes gets corns and callouses when wearing them! Lyn x
 
Hello Bonesmart people ... I hope your weekend is going well or has started well or will start well, depending on what part of the world you are in. Lyn - your shoes should be safe - just don't leave them neatly lined up together beside your car in a carpark somewhere. Hi Jo - I loved the story about your mother. For a minute I had an image in my mind of your mother throwing a shoe as payment because she didn't have any coins. :rotfl:

Well, I have new heroes. My new heroes are anyone who suffers chronic back pain. I have had back pain for 2 days and am nearly crazy with it. Can't sit, can't stand, can't lie down. I would rather have a TKR.:shocked:(who said that????)

I am now sort of lying in the recliner in a weird sideways position which is not doing my knees much good, but the back is easier. I didn't think I would say this for a while, but my knees are the least of my worries. I think it is either muscular or maybe it is because I am not yet walking properly. Anyway, I feel it may be only temporary.

I should have started packing today for the exciting next stage of my life, but alas - too much pain. Hopefully tomorrow I will be able to get a heap done.

Well, there I go - whinging again, but in a lighter vein I hope. I will need to accept that this is how it is for now.

Have a lovely day/night everyone. Hope everything is going well for all.

Take Care ... Be Kind to yourselves ... Ellen
 
Today the back pain is easier - not gone, but definitely easier. Knee is very swollen and stiff and I think it is because of the weird way I walked for a couple of days and the way I had to sit/stand/lie to account for the back. I discovered two wonderful things - an anti-inflammatory analgesic gel for rubbing on the back and Nurofen for Back Pain to take. I do no know whether I should be taking them with my BP meds and the dithiazide but yesterday all I wanted was the pain to stop. I thought I used a lot of bad language during the first six weeks recovery, but definitely found some more the last couple of days. Have only taken Panadol Osteo today. Have managed some packing. I do a couple of boxes and then sit down and either ice the knee or put a heat pad behind the back. It is good I am only packing up for me and not the whole house - although that day will come when I will have to help. Wish me luck for a quick sale.

I am getting excited, but a bit nervous as well - even though I know I will be fine. Whole new world.

Hope everyone has been enjoying their weekend and your recoveries are going well.

Hugs ... Ellen
 
Oh dear, Ellen, my sweet.........you sure have been in the wars:shocked:! So pleased your back is easier - do pamper yourself for the next few days so you can be free of all pain:yay:! I've had a good day - several visitors, my best friend called in & we went out for dinner with friends last night to our favourite restaurant! Our darling (ex)neighbour who has gone to live in a retirement village will be 90 on 8th April, so his daughter (lives in Sydney) & I have decided to put on an afternoon tea for him at the village. I was carer for this dear man for about 6 years while dementia took hold of him. The interesting thing is that now he is getting regular meals, cared for in a safe environment, & has friends he sees every day, the dementia has stalled & not gotten any worse, which is a real God-send. His house has been sold & his daughter has cleaned it out - the young couple who have purchased it don't have any furniture so that was great also...........it saved having to lug stuff, heavy stuff, outside, as they have taken the furniture also. The weather has been rather mild & lovely for the last week so all is good. Please take care, Ellen - you are too important to all of us to sustain any more injuries:friends:! Have a great week everyone.........will check in later. Love, Kerry:yes!:
 
Really pleased that the back pain has improved, you seem so positive about everything, do take care and look after yourself.
Thinking of you, Lyn xx
 
Be very careful with that back--yes it could be just a muscle spasm, but if its the dreaded bulging disc then you might be in for a long haul with it. Keep us posted. I would be out riding by now (it'll be a gorgeous day after the morning scud burns off and it warms up a bit) but for the fact that my riding buddy who Has a Back spent yesterday hauling downed branches from our recent ice storm around and aggravated the Back to the point that today she cannot ride. I keep telling her she has two horsepower but they never lift a hoof to help her out.

Take care and as much as possible take it easy during your move.
 
Ellen, thank you for your kind words and for listening. I agree with everyone else take it easy with the back and make sure it is not something more serious than a muscle spasm.

I cannot wait to see the pictures of your new home and down the road I want to see the new red shoes I am sure you will find.

Please take it easy and be kind to yourself. Have a great week. Lee:flwrysmile:
 
Well, good news first - I found new red shoes - almost exactly like the ones I "lost" except for small stitching details on front. :yay:. Back has eased to a dull ache - can't stand for long though and sitting aggravates it - but definitely bearable.

Thank you Lee ... I should visit you but still after all this time I have been on the forum I find it hard to locate particular threads. Hope your week has started well and you are not as stressed :hairpulling: and more at peace.

So sorry your riding buddy's back put an end to your riding plans Jean. Hopefully she is feeling better now too.

Thanks for visiting Lyn. I was so pleased to hear that your surgical knee, at least, got a good report from the doc.

And Kerry .. sweet lady ... what a lovely weekend you had. It is great that your ex-neighbour has settled in and is doing well. AND the weather has behaved itself for you too the last few days. I couldn't possibly suffer many more injuries Kerry - I have almost run out of body parts. :heehee:

I do have a couple of questions this time ... the last few days when walking, on the stretch out portion of the walk on my TKR - right at the top of the scar - it is hurting, sort of burning and almost pulling. There are hard areas around the tip of the scar (and actually around the whole scar), so I am maybe thinking adhesions are pulling as I walk? Ideas anyone?

Also, and it's not really a question, more or less a plea. I need some help, motivation, kick in the butt or whatever, to do something about my out of control eating. I now weigh the most I have ever weighed in my entire life and this cannot be good for the knees, the back or the Achilles Tendon tears. Despite my despair over the bend in my knee, somewhere in my psyche I must be accepting of it or otherwise I would be doing EVERYTHING necessary to increase ROM and this includes losing weight. I just want to eat. I have always been an emotional eater and I guess need some help in unlocking why food is my drug of choice. Perhaps I need to go back to my friend, the hypnotherapist. Although in saying I am an emotional eater - I eat when happy, sad, depressed, excited, anxious etc. etc - but let's face it, a lot of the time I simply eat because the day has a "y" in it. :headbang::gaah::hairpulling:

Maybe moving into my little house on the weekend and settling in there with the dogs will help to relieve some of the turmoil in my mind and subconscious.

Take Care Everyone ... Be Kind to Yourselves and Have a Hug ((((((((((((((((((((((HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
 
I'm so glad you've found some new shoes Ellen, I can't imagine life without a pair of red shoes .
I know what you mean about emotional eating, my weight wasn't too bad until our government brought in the most bullying and harsh form of inspections into schools. I always worked myself up into such a state every time the school had an inspection, I would be working until midnight eating biscuits by the packet. I always had good reports, but it didn't help, each inspection would be the same and my weight ballooned.
You've probably done both of these, but two things that did help me - I serve my food on a side plate, not a dinner plate, and I have a sheet of paper in the bathroom and record my weight each Friday, I am fairly self competitive and enjoy seeing a lower figure being recorded. This has gone to pot recently as I'm just sitting around (& eating chocolate ), but I will try again when I'm up and about more.
Take care Ellen xx
 
How about Weight Watchers? There's opportunities for socializing, and for lots of folks its a good way to learn and apply healthier dietary choices--in the WW program you eat a LOT and you eat OFTEN and you eat WELL.

I love to cook and love to eat. I have been most successful at weight loss myself when I have done a couple of things--give myself a generous calorie daily allowance that permits weight loss but doesnt starve me, written down EVERY SINGLE THING I EAT, its weight, and its calorie content on a daily basis, and stick to the total calories allowed, exercised consistently, and allowed a daily treat of something I truly love in a reasonable portion--usually an ounce of dark chocolate (150 calories.) This takes discipline but it absolutely works.

Here's a couple of potentially very helpful online resources for you:

https://www.stumptuous.com/
broken link removed: https://www.fat2fitradio.com/

And remember BABY STEPS! A crash diet or too strenuous fitness program will only make you discouraged and fatter! Also, I have heard mention of a weight loss thread on the social forum here on Bonesmart....bound to be lots of good support there.
 
Hello Ellen,
You are probably far too busy to log in here at the moment, but just for whenever you do I wanted to send all my best wishes for a successful move, and to wish you all the best in your new home. I hope you are not overdoing it with all the packing and preparations needed, although I would think it would be almost impossible not to.
Let us know now it all went when out get the time.
Lots of hugs, Lyn xxx
 
Hi Ellen. Thinking of you this week! Moving cannot be easy but I think you will find peace and happiness! Look forward to hearing from you soon.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom