Revision THR Second times a charm?

Lets hold onto hope that all will be well, because it very well may be.
It's still early days in the whole scheme of things. Hopefully with more rest and a lighter workload temporarily, you'll begin to notice a remarkable difference. :prayer: Hang in there, Sockeyewillie.
 
Hi there…
Any improvement since you last posted?
@Sockeyewillie
 
No, I did a deep dive down the rabbit hole after your suggestion to Google femoral stem pain. I printed several technical papers. I’ve read through and highlighted them. I research my implant, the Stryker Modular 20mm x 115 mm. I put a call in to my OS office and was called back by his PA. They suggested I take it easy, do any of my home exercises that don’t cause any pain, and continue to walk as much as comfortable. My prescription to Celebrex was reissued and if I feel worse after n the next couple of weeks that I could come in for X-rays.
After reading the papers I printed I realize it could take up to a year for this type of pain to subside. This is just what I went through with my first THR and it makes it difficult to find hope. Maybe it’s just my lot in life. Right now if I can just get back to where I was before the revision I’d be happy. Time will tell.
 
I am so sorry for the anguish this is causing. Waiting, wondering and worrying can feel like torment. My heart goes out to you, Sockeyewille. I hope you can hold onto hope and trust that at some point it will get better, somehow, someway. Please know that we’re here for you always.
@Sockeyewillie
 
Tonight I gave up on the pain and went back on opioids just to get a break.
 
That's okay. You need some relief. I hope you're able to relax and get some sleep tonight.
Watch a funny movie with, Pennie, and hopefully catch a mental break also. This has to be wearing you down both physically and mentally. I'm so sorry.
@Sockeyewillie
 
Relaxing and sleeping haven’t been a problem at all. It’s the rising from a seated position and then as the day progresses it becomes persistent. Thanks @Layla for your kindness.
 
@Sockeyewillie hoping that resting and taking it easy do the trick for you. While I didn't have the same issue you're having I was plagued with trochanteric bursitis and tight IT band which ended up affecting my left side as well. I totally understand how frustrating it is when you think I did this so I can go live my life! It definitely wears you down.

Try to keep a good outlook and if after a few weeks things aren't better take your OS up on getting new xrays and an office visit to help ease your mind. I just passed my four year hipaversary and, knock wood, think the bursitis has finally left.
 
I woke up this morning, slept very well through the night, but with more pain than I can remember since week one. Some of it has worn off with movement around the house but as I sit in my office during an extremely boring Zoom meeting I’ve put in a call to my surgeons office. I fear that if I go in for an X-ray everything will look fine and I’ll be headed down the same road we traveled 3 years ago.
 
Ugh. Hopefully your surgeon can offer you some reassurance. :prayer:
Let’s not give up hope just yet.
@Sockeyewillie
 
So I have gone fully back on my pain meds over the last 2 days and am feeling much better. Of course this would be my path before I return to see my OS for X-rays and discussion. I’m probably going to be labeled a problem patient.
 
It's good to read you're feeling better.
You're not a problem patient, you're actually exercising a lot of patience as you try to wait out your next visit with the OS and x-rays. I am sure this is frustrating and hopefully you're able to find ways to occupy your mind. Try not to feel hopeless about it because this could all change for the better. Hopefully you were able to schedule an appointment not too far out. Hang in there and stay in touch.
@Sockeyewillie
 
Appt is this afternoon. I stopped with the pain meds just to feel appropriate to my complaints. Walking with my cane to relieve some of the discomfort. I’ll update later today.
 
Hope you get some reassurance and some answers today:fingersx:
 
Good luck today! Will look forward to your update.
@Sockeyewillie
 
Good “ish” news. Had X-rays and they did measurements comparing with X-rays from 3 weeks ago. My post has subsided, slid down into my femur, 2.5 mm. I started a steroid pack and ordered to use a cane or walker for the next four weeks, when I will follow up.
 
So since the stem sunk down, does he suspect loosening?
@Sockeyewillie
 
Again, we’re talking 2.5 mm and if you look at the X-rays the revision stem is shaped more conical than the initial implant. The proximal post is more flat in the initial implant. It’s also why I’m on a steroid pack and full time back on the cane. I spent over an hour between the surgeon, a PA, and his medical assistant. I feel good about it.
 
Last edited:
The steroid pack will definitely relieve some of that pain. I went back to work in April thinking I was superwoman and ended up flat on my back and using cane again.
Fortunately the hip was fine, steroid pack did help, lower back exercises helped as well, ice and rest and it took maybe 3 weeks to feel back to myself.
All my best, setbacks are a bummer but as long as you saw ortho and you are feeling positive relax and get better.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom