THR Second one - hope it's better than the first

Hope doctor has some thoughts...
Sorry your back is still giving you fits.
Mine still does sometimes but I suspect its all the lifting and carrying.
 
Yippeeeeeee it's @1stSurgery becomes @2ndsurgery!!!! To celebrate this occasion I have been gargling with warm salty water to cleanse the vocal chords for my horse impression for the party later. Also I slept for a bit on my op side (my preferred side....) Once I had navigated my way into positiion, manouvering all of the pillows and making sure the one between my legs was gripped tightly ( am hoping for muscular thighs after this!) It was bliss........ :alarm: not sure how long I was there for before I had to get up for wee number 476, but it was lovely while it lasted. So ladies there is hope that we can get back to sleeping on our preferred side. Am at the doctor's now to see if he can come up with some miracle to help my back! If it's not one thing is another :scary:. Happy Friday!!!!!
 
Hope the doctor can tell you something...
I wonder if he thinks all the years of bad hips, now new hips...will need some time and muscles are complaining about the new position...new gait...
I still have some lower back issues so have decided to try chiropractor...we don't have alot of folks practicing osteopathy around here. I would be more comfortable about that.
Let us know what you find out.
Keep those vocal cords tuned up...have a good day.
 
@Bevlah Hi I also struggle with back pain. I went to Pain management clinic who put me down for injections in my back for trigger points. You can have as many as needed to relieve pain and it helps to get the muscles back to working properly without having the pain. I had two trigger points. It works for me and am due for injection 3 next week. It doesnt work for everyone but it may be worth a try for you. After the injection there was NO Pain for me and it's bliss. After the first injection I broke down and cried with relief and walked out with a straight back after years of being bent!!! Have lost one trigger point and am hoping the other will go as well. Hope this may help cheers Carol.
 
Hi Bev,
I hope you had a good visit with the doctor and he's pointing you in the direction of relief.
Let us know how the appt went, if you care to share.
I hope you're having a nice Friday. Best wishes for a great weekend! :)
@Bevlah
 
Hi @Layla he gave me valium of which I have had 2 so far and sadly no relief....:bawl: I have tried everything!!!!! All of the bs suggestions and many more. He swears its muscle as did the chiropractor and PT so it has to get better at some stage right?? Even plugging myself into a tens machine every night. I think I win an award for being up for anything. Good news is I have a phased return to work certificate for 2 weeks so will be going back to work next week part time to start. He was concerned it was too soon as my hip still hurts and my back. Doctor's can be good and sympathetic some times! Have a lovely weekend x
 
Hi @Bevla
I was just reading your thread and wanted to chime in about your back. Do you have anyone that does myofacial release with dry needles in your area? I know it sounds like torture, but it is really effective. My shoulder froze about a week and a half before my hip surgery. I was getting myself into a twist about several things that had to be done around the farm prior to surgery, and the short story is that I ended up with a "frozen" right shoulder. I was in so much pain! My physio appointment just happened to be the next day. He inserted the dry needles into the "frozen" shoulder and neck facia. I made a few :censored: comments during the procedure. He said I would be sore for a couple of days, which I was, and then I was absolutely fine. It was amazing! Had to share the experience. If your back muscles have been spasming for a while, it might take a few treatments, but worth a try.

So pleased you are having an otherwise great recovery with hip#2.
Your grandson is so adorable!! :loveshwr: Ah, baby smells! Enjoy!
:flwrysmile:
 
Last edited:
I sure hope it gets better, Bev.
It's good you can ease back into work over a couple weeks. I hope you feel ready.
Will be thinking of you as you return. Let us know how it goes.
A great weekend to you!
@Bevlah
 
Good news is I have a phased return to work certificate for 2 weeks so will be going back to work next week part time to start. He was concerned it was too soon as my hip still hurts and my back. Doctor's can be good and sympathetic some times! Have a lovely weekend x
Wish you could've taken another month completely off...especially with Dr concern.
Kiss the baby for me, that doesn't hurt anything...hope today is a Good Day!
 
So sorry you're not getting any relief on the back @Bevlah. It can rob us of so much energy, the pain. I hope you find something that delivers the magic cure. Keep trying everything! I'd think rest is one of the most critical steps so the muscles can heal. And wow, good horse Impressions at my party!! Impressive impressions! :)
 
@1stSurgery I am sure it will get better like we know it's all about patience . . It has been 3 months though!! My actual horse impression is I hold my nose and make a noise that sounds like a horse! Great party trick! Wouldnt it be lovely if we really could all have a real party and meet up! I am so happy your surgery is behind you. I am 6 weeks on Monday and had a lovely day visiting my son in Falmouth for his birthday tomorrow. I didn't use my cane and really feel that I am really recovering well. My plan is to get fit, get my legs to move like god intended then to do, be able to put socks on and paint my nails and get my life back!!! It's been on hold for such a long time. You too my friend now you have gotten ridden of those worn out femurs will get yours back too. Here is to a pain free future. :egypdance:
 
Oh socks and painting nails! It's the little things isn't it? You are both so reassuring. Can't wait for the New Year and my new hip no.2. Looking at old photos and realising despite many happy times I've been disabled for at least 2 years. Why did I put up with it!? Is it a girl thing?
 
@bickypeg oh lovey I think you're right we just put up with it! I can beat you, I have had limited hip rotation since birth which was not diagnosed and have suffered all my life. I just thought it was a muscle thing that I couldn't open my legs very wide and if I did, the pain!!!! Fast forward the last 10 years where I have stopped wearing socks and pick my shoes wisely so they are easy to slip on. The last 2 years it was painful to walk and my legs were nearly fused shut! Never told anybody until a friend who had a hip op told me about his symptoms. Light bulb moment. Saw doc, had x-ray then saw consultant who said both hips severe OA and had worn the sockets clean away so were now protuding out and had fused into the pelvis. Stupid stupid woman I am for not complaining sooner!!!! A life time wasted because I couldn't do sport or swim and now I am left with wasted muscles so I am not sure I will ever be able to put socks on. I have booked in for physio and will do whatever it takes to maybe unlock them a bit. Sorry love this had turned into a bit of a pity party for one!! We are too stoic for our own good. I feel that now I have 2 strong hips I will get the ROM I want with some hard work. We will all get there!!!!
 
Hi @Bevlah. For 20 years I'd been restricted to slip on shoes and had avoided socks. But a few months ago I discovered I can do up shoe straps and laces! Never thought I'd be able to do that again, absolutely delighted. You'll get there too. x
 
Light bulb moment. Saw doc, had x-ray then saw consultant who said both hips severe OA and had worn the sockets clean away so were now protuding out and had fused into the pelvis

Bev, it is heartbreaking that you didn't know this. I'll bet it caused you significant pain. It makes perfect sense why your Recovery could involve more time and loads of patience. I wish you weren't suffering at all anymore but given your history I'm hopeful you may still obtain relief. It's just taking a bit longer.

I hope you have a wonderful week.
@Bevlah
 
Yes really, honestly @Bevlah. I find it hard to believe myself.

In the winter of 1999, I had to rely on my daughter to zip up my right boot before I went to work. If I was home alone for any length of time in the evening I'd call on my neighbour to be unzipped! I thought I had a stiff back, I knew absolutely nothing about hips and THRs.

My THR in 2001 didn't go as planned and it was re-done a week later. It was never very good, and in the following years I couldn't get close to either foot. But two and a half years on from my 2nd revision on that right hip it just happened, I could do it! It was a miracle!! I could put my shoes on (velcro strap) without using my grabber. It's quite easy to do now, and I wear those shoes a lot because I'm so pleased with my achievement. Perhaps it would have been quicker if I'd not needed to have the TKR, but gaining more flexibility in these hips been a very gradual process indeed. Both hips (and the knee) continue to improve. Don't give up! x
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom