THR Second one - hope it's better than the first

Hi all. well I am at 6 months post op and still not happy! Half of my scar is still red and sore (even though I have had lots look at it!) It's really swollen and numb.

I still have no improved ROM. If I try to rotate my leg to the side it feels like there is a brick in my thigh and there is a pain in my groin. I have the other one booked for the 13 August but not sure I want it done. I feel like all I have done is complain and need to be more patient but 6 months!!

Help me @Josephine.

I don't take any pain killers for it anymore and still ice. I fell down the stairs 3 weeks ago and am in terrible muscular pain with that but thankfully my hip seems to be no worse. I just don't know what to do and am scared if I complain too loud they will send me for an MRI and I am severely chlaustrophobic after an episode of pneumonia mixed with a scan when I couldn't breathe, resetting my mind to be soooooo chlaustrophobic!!

Anyway had anyone any nuggets of wisdom they can share with me please on what to do?

Thanks bev
 
First, I'm sorry you are in pain, struggling and discouraged. Part of me is thinking if you've been told by numerous people your incision looks okay, to try not looking at it for awhile. The pic you posted looks normal to me but then again I'm not seeing it in person. And at times we're bothered by something for a reason. So I guess I'm not offering much consolation in regard to your incision.

It sounds as though you need something for the discomfort you've described as severe muscular pain, Bev
I hate to think of you suffering needlessly if something can bring you relief.

What if your left hip pain is causing you to be tensed up each time you engage and that's keeping you from progressing as you would /should if you weren't dealing with an additional bad hip? I understand your frustration at 6 months post op, but it is only 6 months. I heard it can take a good year, even up to two years for complete healing. Is your OS willing to move forward with Lefty while you're still unhappy with the first surgery? Can they give you something for anxiety if it comes to your doctor recommending an MRI?

I wish you weren't struggling, Bev. Hopefully Jo will have some advice for you.
Wishing you comfort and relief!
@Bevlah
 
@Bevlah, sorry to hear about your fall and ongoing hip issues. If you do need an MRI ask if it's possible to be sent to a hospital that has an open sided scanner. I know someone who has severe problems with confined spaces but coped with the newer style scanner plus a dose of sedative and someone to hold her hand!
 
I was told that the issue with open scanner is that it doesn't have the same quality picture. I'm also not sure of the metal suppression capability. I am severely claustrophobic (I even had problems with the CT machine).

I made it through my last 2 MRI (different hips, different days) by taking 1mg of Xanax 2 hours before (taking ½ hour before as instructed yield one failed attempt) and listening to relaxation hypnotherapy tape during the 2 hours. Still needed a blindfold, relaxing music and virtual hand holding by the tech.

On the first, they also pulled me out every few minutes (in between each segment). I knew it would never be more than 5 minutes and could count the time down while I was in. Still not easy, but I survived. I tried to convince them to knock me out with propofol, but they wouldn't agree to that!
 
I was told that the issue with open scanner is that it doesn't have the same quality picture. I'm also not sure of the metal suppression capability.
That's absolute rubbish! All the MRI scans I've ever had have been with an open scanner and there were no problems at all. And the artifact adjustment is down to the skill of the technician, not the machine!

This is the one I get my scans done in

[Bonesmart.org] Second one - hope it's better than the first


I tried to convince them to knock me out with propofol, but they wouldn't agree to that!
I should think not either! The thought of a patient knocked out with propofol and being left unattended for the duration of an MRI is horrifying! Don't you know that's how Michael Jackson died? His doctor knocked him out with that stuff and then went out of the room to take a phone call! Respiratory arrest can occur under those circumstance within a few minutes!
 
Hi, I’m severely claustrophobic after an incident in an MRI machine as well. I have to have MRIs every year to check my brain and spinal cord lesions. I refuse to have them unless I’m given sedation. I have IV Midazolam..it doesn’t knock me out completely but I sleep through the majority of it. Also when I had my hip MRI years ago, they put me in feet first and my whole upper body was out of the machine...no claustrophobia at all.
 
Thanks all and glad to know I am not the only wimp!! Thinking of getting some sort of therapy for the claustrophobia to help. Anyway had pre op appt today and the nurse looked at my scar. She said it looks like it's just taking a long time to heal and the lump in my thigh is probably shifted muscle and will probably always be that way.

Hey ho I am just going to get number 2 done and hope it sorts out number 1
 
Sorry to hear about that. All of this is part of what worries me about having it done.

Hope you don't mind me inquiring - overall are you glad you did it? Is the pain from the hip joint gone? Any limp? Any numbness or other side effects? Thanks for any insight
 
@miscverb oh bless you! Listen I had a really crappy hip that should have been sorted at birth I am 54! I compensated for having no ROM by basically not moving!! All my legs have done is go in a forwards direction to walk so there is muscle wastage!

I have rather large legs and think my issues are that they had too much fat to cut through. So I am left with a very long scar that is sunken with a large but numb area of swelling. I think I have been unlucky as everyone else says it's a wonderful new lease of life. I don't have any OA pain anymore but that was only a small part for me, hence my disappointment.

Don't listen to me I am just a bit down about it all. Look at all of the wonderful stories on here of people getting their lives back!! I am hoping when the other one is done it will be better! Good luck lovey x

Sorry forgot to say no limp and I am walking much better!
 
Hi Bev,
Looking up some old friends this morning and wondering how you're doing?
Shoot us an update when you have the time. Would love to hear.
Summer is waning here, but I love Fall so I'm looking forward to that.
Wishing you a great end to the week!
@Bevlah
 
Hi @Layla thanks for checking! I am booked in on Monday for my second hip!!!!! Not hugely looking forward to it and have had a cold this week but it seems to be getting better. Back still hurts but saw a chiropractor on Monday and again on Friday to see if he can help! Sooooooo I am hoping this one goes better than the last and it helps the first one heal as it's still not right. Wish me luck and can you change my thread please to......mmm not sure what?? Maybe "second one hope it's better than the first" bev xx
 
Wow! That's a surprise.
I'll have a mod add your new date August 13th LTHR
And change your thread title also.
Wishing you comfort until Monday.
Please post when you're able.
Big Hugs!
@Bevlah
 
I know you're familiar with the Recovery Guidelines, Bev, but it wont hurt to give them a quick run through
while you still have a clear head. In all honesty, I couldn't focus on them long enough to absorb anything for the first couple weeks post op. Here ya go...

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each, member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice. @Bevlah
 
Best of luck for Monday...
Wishing you all the best:angel:
 
@Layla I saw on sometimes post a comment that you get the zigzag flashing lights but no headache. I also get that and it started with pregnancy. I will look at taking baby asprin too!!
 
It's the craziest thing, isn't it?! It happens rarely, but I don't like it.
I never found anyone who experienced the same in my circle in life until here, the other day,
Apparently it's not as uncommon as I thought because you're about the 6th person who's chimed in.
Unpleasant occurance but supposedly benign, thankfully.
Hope you have a nice weekend, Bev
Can't wait till you have the next surgery behind you! We'll be here for you.
@Bevlah
 
And don't worry about the op on the 13th because it's not a Friday.
I don't believe in that superstious nonsense anyway :heehee:
You're going to do great and we'll be right here rooting for you! Go Bev! :happydance: :yay:
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom