Guest viewing is limited

THR Second new shiny new hip in and working good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't blame you for taking it easy on the PT, if you're hurting, you really don't want any more pain and there's plenty of time to start that up, do you think it's been harder this time? Let's hope you get that good weather they've promised you, I really think some sunshine will make you feel better. :SUNsmile: take care xx
 
Hello surgery buddy. You've had quite the ordeal, you brave soul! I am icing to reduce the swelling and I'm surprised how long it takes. My knee's look like elephant knees! PT has me marching around the house, trying to strengthen my leg and get me so I quit dragging my right foot. I feel better each day but need to sleep. Keep up the great recovery.
 
sandybeach, thanks for asking. He has an appt. Thursday with the surgeon. I can't go-- I'll be at work, but I'm hoping he can dial me in on his cell phone so I can hear what the doctor says. I'm doing well, but I'm hitting the place where I try to do more and then end up hurting. I have a private yoga session scheduled this afternoon, but right now I have an ice pack on my leg. The last time my husband had back surgery, I was really busy at work, and he was able to take care of himself after the first couple of days home. And as he said, I have a credit card, so if I'm not up to cooking, we can always order in. I hope you start feeling better soon. XO
 
sandybeach Yes, you're smart on the PT, I think. I'm still sore and it's been 7 weeks. We're taking things easy now.
Although your doctors' visit was stressful for your hips, it sounds like you got a good report. You're right to get a handle on the post-op pain and heal before you expect too much of yourself. Keep resting and icing and taking those pain meds, you should feel better by tomorrow.
 
Great doctors visit. I've been cleared to drive short trips and work part time. I'm 4 weeks post op. The PA said I was doing extremely well, x-rays were perfect for my new hip but the left side is ****. They will work to getting me in earlier in June. Energy drains are normal so don't push it. Take dilaudid in the evening if needed for my left side only. Will start taking an 81mg aspirin each day.
 
chisels1 Congratulations on a sucessful 4 week visit. And back to work part-time, too? Good for you! Nothing like good news. You'll sail through the other hip, too, just like this one. Keep up the great recovery.:yay:
 
Hi sandybeach Sorry to hear that you are still having a lot of pain. I hope you start to improve very soon. Shame about your persistent snow,but good news that your temperatures are due to rise by the end of the week. Our weather improved briefly but it's cold again and I see snow is forecast in Scotland. Oh how I wish I lived in a place with warmer weather !
 
chisels1 getting back to work, albeit odd days and part time, felt great for me at 4 weeks, don't do too much too quickly though as it can be really draining.
sandybeach How are you feeling today, I hope the pain is under control and you are comfortable. I guess the 2 hips were never going to feel the same after surgery but I hope it wasn't too much worse for you.
 
Littlejem, I am feeling better each day. The pain I'm having is in the groin area when I'm up walking very much. When that kicks in I know it's time to sit down and take med's. You asked if it's harder this time around for recovery and it is but I think it's for the fact that this was my worse hip. The operation was harder, I woke up in pain in the recovery room which I didn't after my first surgery, they got the pain under control quickly. My first hip wasn't healed before I had this surgery but I am glad even now that I had it this soon because now I am healing in both hips and the pain I have now isn't gonna stick around long term. ilovedaisys, My PT had me doing the marching also after my first surgery. I guess we get used to dragging our feet because it hurts to pick them up. ByGosh I did start PT early on after my first surgery, I would go sore and come home even more sore. I couldn't do most of the exercises because of the pain so I hope by waiting, when I do go I will be able to do the exercises. BarbaraR I hope you are able to listen in on your husbands doctors visit. It seems that if you aren't there you miss out on some of the important info that the doctor may say. The order out for food is a good solution. We were running out of good things to eat and got down to sandwiches and soup for a few days, I complained about it on Facebook, our oldest daughter saw it and came up from the cities and cooked and cleaned for me for 2 days. She left a whole week worth of cooked food. Kim22 The pain is getting better, I just have to be more persistent on taking my med's on time. I'm about to give up on our weather and just leave for vacation to an island somewhere way south....lol. We are being promised 70 degrees in a few days so, hopefully that happens. How are you doing? Are you still walking with a cane? chisels1 what a great report from you doctor!!! I hope you can get your other hip replaced soon also then you can get on the road to complete healing. Good luck.
 
Oh wow what a wonderful daughter you have doing all your cleaning and cooking, you can't put a price on that, you must be really proud of her. :) :)
I understand what you're saying about this hip being your worse and therefore the hardest to do. I really hope the groin pain goes away soon but as you say at least you know that any pain you have WILL go away eventually and there will be and end to it all. Sounds like you are doing ok :)
 
Sandybeach, how many weeks was it between surgeries? How is doing the PT with your first hip not yet healed? Also I can't sleep in my bed on my back, I like sleeping on my stomach when in bed. I was told its a no no but I don't twist around at night so how else am I to get sleep. I currently sleep in my recliner which elevates my head and my feet just slightly, my hips are still above my knees, I want to eventually sleep in bed, anyone in this forum tried sleeping on their stomach?
 
Sandybeach, what a great daughter.. Just when you needed the help, daughter to the rescue.

Keep elevating and icing the groin.. You know the drill :) ... Just think.. Fast forward six months and you will have two 'forgotten hips' :)
 
chisels1, I got myself a back rest and sleep propped up. I cannot lie flat as it is so uncomfortable. I think trying to get on my tummy would be awkward to observe the restrictions.
Barbara
 
I currently sleep in my recliner
Ahh yes. Before having my surgery I slept in my recliner for about 6 months. I was unable to sleep flat in bed. I couldn't straighten my bad hip at all. I ended up buying an electric adjustable bed and it was the best thing I ever did! I could finally sleep in bed even if my bed was adjusted so it "looked" like my recliner (lol). I bought it on eBay, paid $500 and it retails at $6000. It even has a monkey bar! And now, post surgery, it is still the most amazingly comfortable bed.
 
All the very best@sandybeach. Your attitude is stupendous! Fingers crossed for a smooth recovery. You so deserve it!
 
Today is my 2 week anniversary for my second hip replacement. I think that I am able to say I feel some of my energy coming back and starting to feel a little more human again. I have been walking with just a cane for most of this week and last night I tried a few steps with no aides and that went better than I expected so hopefully in a few week I will be able to look at minimum cane use too. chisels1 you had one hip done and still have the other one that's gonna cause you pain until that's fixed. I too like Allycat couldn't straighten out my legs to lay on my back. I slept on our couch most of last summer so I could lean my legs against the back of the couch as I slept. I am lucky to be able to lay on my stomach now, I have been sleeping on my stomach and either side now for over a week. My new hip gets a little sore so I can't lay on it for very long but last night I was able to for the longest time yet. I don't have any restrictions so my OS said I could lay on it, you will have to do whatever your OS said you should. You don't want to do anything against your doctor's orders. Littlejem and Poppet I am very lucky to have a caring daughter and she's a good cook too. She has been through a lot in the last couple years and we as a family have stuck together to support her, I think she knows how important it is help family when you can. @ Maeve Thank you for your kind words. How is recovery going for you? Your surgery was so much more involved than mine. I hope you're doing well also.
 
Hi Sandybeach, you are doing so well, just two weeks out and only using a cane! I am almost eight weeks and am just starting to go without my crutch. Long may your good recovery continue!
 
octopus everyone heals at their own pace. I am far from giving up my cane and as long as I need it I will use it. Sometimes we may just push ourselves too much, we need to give our bodies time to recover, it's been through a lot. It's not a bad thing to baby ourselves a little now. I am not going to push myself as hard this time around, my body is just too tired and needs me to take it easy.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Second new shiny new hip in and working good.
sandybeach, an excellent call!!! And with the extra rest, healing will increase and you'll actually get back to "normal" sooner rather than later!

Take care and keep us posted. We care. [Bonesmart.org] Second new shiny new hip in and working good.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom