THR Second new shiny new hip in and working good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
octopus everyone heals at their own pace. I am far from giving up my cane and as long as I need it I will use it. Sometimes we may just push ourselves too much, we need to give our bodies time to recover, it's been through a lot. It's not a bad thing to baby ourselves a little now. I am not going to push myself as hard this time around, my body is just too tired and needs me to take it easy.
octopus everyone heals at their own pace. I am far from giving up my cane and as long as I need it I will use it. Sometimes we may just push ourselves too much, we need to give our bodies time to recover, it's been through a lot. It's not a bad thing to baby ourselves a little now. I am not going to push myself as hard this time around, my body is just too tired and needs me to take it easy.

Sandybeach, I've been using my cane which my son bought me, its a crooked wooden cane with a carved handgrip and its very strong. I can walk pretty well without it, except when my bad left hip says different. I like using the cane and I can pick things up with it because of its design, so I will use it long after both hips are doing well but then it will be a walking stick and not a cane/crutch.
 
Hi sandybeach I must say you are doing so well now and down to one cane I think that's marvellous at only 2 weeks I tried to walk to village and back this morning without my cane but it was obviously too soon as by the time I got back home I had groin pain in the operated side and a sore knee on my left side You live and learn don't you ? I agree with the others your daughter sounds wonderful a real treasure. Glad things are going well and that you are not pushing yourself this time.
 
Great doctors visit. I've been cleared to drive short trips and work part time. I'm 4 weeks post op. The PA said I was doing extremely well, x-rays were perfect for my new hip but the left side is mess. They will work to getting me in earlier in June. Energy drains are normal so don't push it. Take dilaudid in the evening if needed for my left side only. Will start taking an 81mg aspirin each day.

Hi chisels had a look through your threads, 4 weeks sounds a bit early for driving as it's 8 in the UK. I got my right done first but they kept on at me to get the left done first even on the day before going in for the op they gave me my final chance to change my mind.
All the best for your op in June.

Billy
 
chisels1 it sounds like you have a very special walking stick, you will have to keep it near for the next surgery too.
Kim22 How far a walk is it to the village? In many countries walking is a way of life more so than here where I live. I can take a walk and walk for miles but I will still be in the country. I live on a small farm, our closest town is 7 miles away. I do some shopping there but the largest place for me to shop is over a 1/2 hour drive one way.
My husband and I went shopping today. We shopped in 2 different stores and went out for lunch. I had a cramp in my groin area and didn't think that I could walk much but I grabbed a shopping cart and the more I walked the better I felt. Once home and relaxing the pain has come back so I'm icing and taking pain med's. My first surgery has given me no problems, the pain is gone and it feels like my original hip just lots better.
 
So pleased you are icing and keeping up with your meds after exercise Sandy.. Don't forget to elevate it helps as well :)
 
Poppet and all you hippies, I just came back from my first day at work. Went in at 9:30 am and the last couple hours I could feel the energy drain out of me. I drove and its 35 minutes each way, needless to say I'm pooped. I'm a Goldsmith so I sit unless I'm working with a customer and its still tough. My right leg feel a little swollen but the hip doesn't hurt, maybe a 1 on the scale. I just started week 6 since surgery. I'm not going in tomorrow but will try Thursday and Friday for a few.
 
Hi sandybeach You did so well with shopping yesterday and great news that your first hip is now pain free. I also experience aches in the groin area when I have been walking a lot. The village centre is only about 250 yards from our house and we have a good range of shops and amenities including 4 restaurants and 2 pubs so not much of a walk really.I still benefit from using a cane as if I don't I end up with the dreaded groin ache or more recently a sore left knee.
 
chisels1 That's the best way to start back to work. ...a day at a time and then cut back if you need to. I went back to work 4 weeks after my first surgery but I knew I was going back for 2 weeks and then having my second surgery. This time going back I will take a little more time and probably go back 1/2 days for a few weeks too. I am not going to do anything to put myself back. I feel better to baby myself than suffer later.
Kim22, it sounds like you live a unique and beautiful place...an island with all those shops close to home. I love our home also, we have a huge yard that we are continuing to improve every year. This year our new improvement was buying a playhouse for our grandchildren to play in. My husband wants to wire it for electric so they will have working lights. Soon the grandkids and me are going to plant flowers around their house, they are so excited about playing it in. I am going to start going for walks with our dog, she will be thrilled. She's a springer spaniel with lots of energy but when we put a leash on her she mellows...This is all gonna happen once our weather gets better. Is the knee pain new? I hope that goes away soon.
 
Hi sandybeach Sorry I think I inadvertently mislead you when I said I lived on a small island I was referring to the whole of UK ie. England, Scotland and Wales which is a much smaller land mass compared with your huge country of the USA I understand that the whole of our country could fit into one of your Great Lakes. If I am wrong about that I am sure someone will correct me The little island in my picture is called Lindisfarne or Holy Island and is about 60 miles from where we live and is near to our little holiday caravan by the sea. We used to love walking there until my hip arthritis manifested itself so I am longing to get back there to walk again sometime soon, hopefully before the end of summer.I actually live in a large village by British standards which is well served by amenities but for serious shopping we have to go into the city about 7 miles away.

Your home sounds lovely. I must admit I would love to live on a farm surrounded by countryside and wildlife your yard or as we would call it in he UK your garden sounds lovely too and how lucky are your grandchildren to have a playhouse It will be fun planting the flowers and this year you will be able to get down to plant them with your 2 new hips.

It's 3 25 am over here and I cannot sleep. For he first 5 weeks after surgery I slept so well probably because I was on strong painkillers but now its a problem I only take paracetamol I think it's called Tylenol in the US
 
Kim22, Your lifestyle still sounds lovely. You are walking distance from your home to quaint shops and eating establishments. I don't think your country could fit into one of our Great Lakes make take a few. We do have lots of wildlife, my husband hunts deer in the woods behind our house. Our yard is a couple acres so I have my hands full in the summertime when all the flowers are in bloom. This summer it will be nice because I will be able to work outside and get the flower beds back in order again, something I couldn't do last year. I am trying to wean off the stronger med's. I have been taking them but in smaller dosages and I find that without them I my legs start to get crampy so I take 1 or 2 pills instead of 3. I hope you get the sleeping issues taken care of but I think that comes to all of us during this recovery time. What is a holiday caravan, sorry for having to ask..I'm thinking what we would call a weekend place???
 
I'm on my own...hubby was called back to work. Almost 3 weeks post surgery and I am getting around pretty good with one cane. My plans are to get outside and start doing things in the yard and going for walks, I just have to wait for our weather to cooperate. I will start PT next Wednesday. I have purposely put it off this time around to give my legs/hips time to heal before getting them stretched every which way. I don't know if it was a good decision but up to now the pain was bad to the point that I hated to move around much but that has gotten better and I feel ready to get moving. I am still taking my pain med's but have cut back on them and I still depend on my ice...love that stuff.
 
Hi sandybeach I love your photo by the way. You don't look old enough to be a Grandma.
I think you call them trailers perhaps .? A holiday home but as property is so expensive by the coast this is a way of having your own place for weekends and holidays at an affordable price. It's on a lovely well kept site and it has its own indoor pool, spa and beauty therapy place. We always feel very relaxed there but we bought it for the walking and for 2 years + we haven't been able to take advantage of the lovely walks.We are both going to enjoy this summer better than the last one( You to enjoy your garden and me to start hiking again)
One thing I learned about reducing the pain meds is to wean yourself off very slow to avoid withdrawal symptoms and to prevent a return of the pain.
 
Kim22, that sounds like a fun getaway, I hope you can take full advantage of that this summer. We own some property on a lake also that we go to on weekends. It's our own so nothing too fancy. We have a campsite and a camp trailer on it. It has a nice swimming beach so the grandkids love to play in the water up there. Are you taking any pain med's yet? Thanks for the compliment on the picture, grandma to almost 4...:yes: Our new one is due in June so not too much longer before we get to meet him.
 
Congrats on your 2nd Hip, sandybeach. I have been offline for many weeks so I am just catching up. Great to hear things are going so well. And the same to Kim22 and chisels1. I have been wondering about my other hip and how it will feel after I get my right one done (July 10th). I figured I would wait and see since I am coping fairly well with them both now. Thanks again for all of your stories and sharing of your experiences. It demystifies it for us first-timers!!
 
marcopollo don't worry about your other hip being replaced yet. If you don't have issues with it maybe you are lucky that you won't have to have anything done to it. Not everyone has to have both done. I hope you do take with you from this forum that the surgery isn't anything to put off because of fears. It will get rid of the pain you are experiencing now and give you back your quality of life.
 
Liveringer, you are funny. My oldest granddaughter is 6 and amazing. I just love the time I am able to spend with all of them, in fact they are coming up to visit us tomorrow and staying the night. The first time I have seen them since my last surgery so should be fun but tiring too.
 
sandybeach Your property on the lake sounds really great typically American just like in the movies You and your grandchildren are going to have some fun there when you are back on your feet with your new hips ! I bet you are getting excited about grandchild number 4 due next month Do they live near you ? My little grandson is now 6 months, unfortunately they are 150 miles away. My daughter is bringing him to stay for a whole week in 2 weeks so we are looking forward to seeing them both.

I am still taking Paracetamol 4 times a day with Naproxen twice a day and hope to try to cut them back next week I have had 2 good walks today as the weather has been gorgeous for about 2 miles in total with a cane of course. My muscles are objecting now. I have noticed more soreness in the knee of the none operated side so have started to add exercises for the quads to my usual routine.

Welcome back marcopollo I expect that you are counting down the weeks until your surgery.
 
Kim22 our state is known for it's lakes and we live in lake country so many people have a weekend place. Lot's of people have second homes. That's something my husband doesn't want, he feels he has enough with one house..lol. So we went with a camp trailer, less maintenance. Yeah we will have lot's of fun this summer up there. We had the kids up there a few times last summer even though I was hardly able to move.

I have only had to 2 extra strength tylenol today. I have been taking 2 oxycodon at night so I relax and sleep the whole night. I will soon cut that down to 1 at night time. I have been really taking it extra easy on myself. My PT starts next week so I will see what that does to my pain level and if our weather ever straightens out I hope to go for walks. I just don't feel like going for a walk if I have to bundle up to do it. I hope your muscles settle down, maybe they need some ice?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom