THR Second new shiny new hip in and working good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Certainly sounds as though you have tickled your hamstring muscle with bending over to garden.. That would do it..

I still stretch my sometimes troublesome hamstring muscle by putting my fists on the bed and sticking my bottom out and it everso gently stretches the hamstring without being too severe a stretch :)
 
Poppet zauberflöte the pain I feel is coming from the hamstring muscle group....I looked at images on the web. I also know my newest hip, which is still tender is trying to keep up with her older sister but sometimes has a hard time and then I feel pain from her.
Does anyone feel like their knees are swollen when you kneel down on the floor? I got onto the floor to do exercises yesterday and my knees felt tight or swollen. I wonder if that's from doing some kneeling by my flowerbeds after all these months of not kneeling.
 
I still stretch my sometimes troublesome hamstring muscle by putting my fists on the bed and sticking my bottom out and it everso gently stretches the hamstring without being too severe a stretch :)
um, Poppet , you're going to have to clarify if your bottom is stuck out on your fists on your bed? I'm not getting a clear picture here....more telepathy required!:wink:
 
Haha! Clear to me honey zauberflöte..

What I do is lean over the end of the bed, plant my fists on the mattress and in the bent over position with legs straight, I stick my bottom out as far as I want to stretch my hamstrings and is comfortable. You will feel the hamstring stretch and can modify how much you want to stretch by how much you stick your bottom out :)
 
Hi sandybeach and Liveringer,
Just caught up with this post. Brilliant explanation about how to get up and down off the floor! I am going to try that.. Now I just need to see if I can somehow take 2 chairs into the exercise studio at the gym for a Pilates class. Have a feeling it will be a no no!
Such a nanny state we are about OH&S!!!!!
I'm finding lots of heat pads and stretching is really helping...especially after exercising of any type. Hamstring, calf, groin. I have four I try to do at least twice a day and hold each one for 30 seconds. Apply heat first and it loosens everything up.
If I don't do the stretches I stiffen up very easily.
 
Maeve I to have started with some most heat which as helped. My hamstring seems to get better with each passing day.
 
Poppet thanks for the hamstring stretch. I have one that the PT told me to do but involves my husband helping....well I don't know about your husbands but he said yeah I can help you but where is he when I need to do it? Maeve and Liveringer I have wondered about the use of heat now. Last night I wasn't feeling too good. It seemed like everything and everywhere in my body hurt even my neck that started a headache. When I went to bed, which I did early, I thought that I was getting the flu but I think it was just plan old muscles acting up. I was thinking that heat, a hot tub or something would ease all the pain I was in. I think I am going to dig out the heating pad to help out these sore muscles.....I am ready to be over the pain, how about everyone else? I'm whining today after not a good yesterday:sorry:
 
sandybeach As I do more activity I get soreness in my lower back (which is chiropractor tomorrow), my neck at times and of course my hamstring. I am not complaining I feel my is mild but just the same as I do activity, then I ice or use heat and find myself napping for a few hours. I have one more week off then back to work. What I am trying to do is gradually increase my standing and moving around. For me this is helping. We go through so much before surgery, then surgery to take care of the "broken" part, now we have to re-train muscle and bones to where they are suppose to be.
 
Liveringer I know all this takes time, the healing and getting ourselves back to where we were. I try to practice patience and I know I'm doing pretty well but day after day of not being able to do things the way I used to sometimes takes it toll. I can't go up stairs like an adult. I do see improvement over the past few weeks, my gait is getting so much better as my leg gets stronger. I have been going through the healing process since late February and I have to admit I am in pain everyday. The muscles in my legs hurt all the time when I'm up moving around. Yesterday I had to think twice about going with my husband about 10 miles away for him to pick something up but I felt I needed to get out of the house...our weather has been really nasty, cold an rainy. I don't have any surgery pain and really never did, it's all about the muscles for me. I always feel like I'm training for a marathon race but my muscles aren't getting broke in to the point where they quit hurting. My lower back is very painful too...my PT said it the SI joint. She told me to lay on my back in bed and stretch my legs, one at a time, as long as I can and hold for 30 seconds. Then there's one other where you lay close to the edge of the bed, you keep the bottom one leg straight and bend the top one at the knee and let that one hang over the edge of the bed at the same time twist your back towards the center of the bed while holding your arms behind you to hold you in this position.
 
sandybeach I know you feel like it is taking forever, I am proud of what you have accomplished having both hips done. I'm luck to contend with one let alone two. In a lot of instances though we are the same in healing as you second hip and my hip are a day apart. To have you say that, then I can say you are not alone I have those very same issues. Yours may be more intensified because of both hips. 6 months, 1 (one) year down the road we can give more sound advice to the new hipsters seeking answers. As far as my back right now I have my back brace on which helps tremendacily (seems to allow me to sit and move more freely) but I'll let you know how I feel after chiropractor tomorrow.
 
Liveringer you are right about us being the same in the healing process. Many on here are going through daily pain. True in 6 months we won't remember what we're complaining about. I can see improvement from say a couple weeks ago. I don't rely on a cane at all. My gait isn't the best though but in time it will come around. My legs were in really bad shape for a long time before surgery so I suppose that's where all the muscle pain is coming from that I feel. Today I'm feeling less pain than yesterday and I haven't taken any pain pills. I hope your chiropractor can get your back feeling better, and he should be able to give you some exercises to work on the exact area of concern too.
 
sandybeach I did go to my chiropractor this morning my shoulder area was very tight and he adjusted my lower back. The lower back feels pretty good although I need to go back in a few days so that he can do the shoulder area again. I have been going to him for over a year and he has never put heat on my back before an adjustment. Today he did, felt pretty good. I have 4 more weekdays off, as I go back to work Monday. It is gonna go by fast as I have PT Tuesday & Thursday (plus the chiropractor). Friday is a small party for the gal that has filled in for me, so I will go to school to thank her. She'll probably be back this fall as my boss is probably going to have her second TKR.
 
Liveringer I'm glad your chiropractor visit was a success:thumb: It's worth it when you see results. This week will go fast for you. Today was my first day back to work. I worked 4 hours and that was enough for the first day. Being gone for so long I spent the time catching up on things which I will be doing for the rest of the week. Some of the office issues have been on hold until I got back so a few things to resolve in the next few days, nothing major.
 
sandybeach Good for you making it back to work for that 4 hours. Nice to be missed isn't it? After all they waited for you to come back to resolve an issue. I think I am ready for work, if you would have asked me last week I probably would have said no. But know that I've been out walking, throwing horseshoes and housework now I believe I'll manage just fine. :yes!:
 
Liveringer I think I was missed by most in our office. I work in a small office and no office is perfect, and we have one person that's difficult. Some issues that were on hold is because I'm the keeper of the budget and approving purchases. Just being at work and having to walk and try to walk the right way with long strides is helping with my muscles. I haven't been able to get out and walk much because of weather, again today i'ts raining and cold. They are predicting this weather for the rest of the week. Next week they say warmer temps....has your weather gotten cooler? It might hurt a little when doing some new exercises but don't you feel better the next day? A little more limber?
 
sandybeach Absolutely feel more limber than the day before. Our temp have gotten cooler but that 90 degrees is to much to quick. Today was about 68 absolute beautiful day.
 
sandybeach and Liveringer I see I've been missing good stuff here!
know all this takes time, the healing and getting ourselves back to where we were. I
I think I've seen on here that the longer your were in bad shape before new hip, the longer it will take your muscles to get back to where they are really supposed to be. So I, who was not in bad shape, may have a quicker recovery than you, who were in great pain AND are now doing two hips' recovery!
I wonder if some of your pain is due to weather-- our whole bodies are probably sensitive to weather changes? Lots of people feel better in the summer, and you don't seem to have had any of that yet!!
Congratulations on getting back to work! I hope all continues well through the break0in period, so you're raring to go when it's full-time time :)

What I do is lean over the end of the bed,
haha Poppet ok, that wasn't what I visualized at all! Your stretch is identical to what I do except I just do it wherever I am, never mind the bed-- kitchen counter, couch, computer table.....:rotfl:
 
zauberflöte I agree. The longer you were in pain the more damage so the longer to heal. That's why it's not good to put yourself at the same stage of healing as others who may have had surgery at the same time. My surgeon would have let me come back to work at 2 weeks if I would have been that crazy to have agreed. I am doing okay with my return to work but I do admit it's a little overwhelming to work and the drive home and then make supper the same routine as before surgery just a little bit slower. I keep thinking that it's a day earlier in the week then it is...I keep hoping today is Friday...that didn't happen before I started back to work.
 
haha Poppet ok, that wasn't what I visualized at all! Your stretch is identical to what I do except I just do it wherever I am, never mind the bed-- kitchen counter, couch, computer table.....:rotfl:[/quote]

You are such a fun person, so pleased you finally got the image.. The only reason I do it at the end of the bed is that it is easier on my arthritic hands and the bed is the right height... :) hugs
 
Hi, sandybeach & Liveringer: Just wanted to pop in and wish you both luck with returning to work, though Sandy, you've started already this past week. So did I and it wasn't easy, but the good will of the people made it easier. What is it with surgeons who claim one can return after two weeks?!? They would have had to scrape me and my walker off the floor at week two.... Here's to a smooth transition back into the work routine! You both sound as prepared as one can possibly be.... :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom