THR Second new shiny new hip in and working good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Liveringer How is your walking going? I hope your restrictions get lifted at your next doctor's visit then you can get out and get moving. BarbaraR I am out doing more things all the time. Today I'm driving down to Minneapolis to go shopping with my daughter, after that my granddaughter is graduating from kindergarten, I'm going to that and then driving home:yikes: ....wish me luck. This doesn't sound like much but I couldn't have done it a few weeks ago. I still have a long way to go with my recovery, my muscles still need the stretches that only my PT can give them. I go to PT once a week, for me that's working well, it gives me time to heal and get stronger between sessions.
 
sandybeach My walking is coming along pretty well but....what I need to do is really start walking. I feel that I am ready for that now. I am in hopes this week to start that milestone. I go to PT twice a week I love it when she stretches me. The days that I'm not there I still do some therapy here at home.
 
Liveringer You sound a lot like me. I need to start seriously start walking now too. I know I can't start at doing a lot but I feel maybe down the road and back and then continue to expand from there. When I walk I get a pain in the back of my leg right under my butt....do you know what muscle that is? I'm back from the cities...I drove all the way there and around the cities, some during rush hour and then back again. The trip one is about an hour and a half drive each way. We did some shopping, out to lunch over to St. Paul for graduation and climbing steps, 2 stories. It was a busy but fun day. I proved to myself I could do it and I'm not too tired.
 
sandybeach That is great you did all of that. I hope you are feeling good today after all that activity. I do know that muscle you are talking about but do not know the name of it. It is more of a nuisance than anything. I just say get use to it, it is your new hip. The muscle that bothers me most right now is the one behind the knee of the operated leg. I massage it throughout the day which helps a lot. Today will be the first day driving any distance and that will be to therapy about 25 mins away. Tomorrow I am driving to the OS probably he'll say I can drive but :shrug: to late.
 
Liveringer....lol I think you're right about getting used to the muscle pain. I guess we all get the pains, eventually they will go away. You should be able to drive as long as it doesn't bother you to brake. How often do you go to therapy? I have to go today also. I'm going one day a week.
 
sandybeach Right now I am going twice a week, tomorrow when I see the OS I need to ask him to write another script for at least a couple more weeks. Each time I go to her my ROM gets better and better.
 
Liveringer, I feel better the day after going to PT. Does your therapist do a lot of stretching for you? My ROM is getting better but I will notice an improvement and then nothing for a few weeks. Maybe that's my fault. I work my legs and then I will slack off. I'm getting so active now, although I do admit some activities are a struggle because of weak muscles. A lot of my exercises are laying down so I have decided I will lay on the floor and do them, so much better than laying on the bed for me and I figure at the point that I'm at, I need to practice getting up and down from the floor too.
 
sandybeach You sound like you're coming along really well! I'll be very interested to know how the PT showed you to get up and down off of the floor. I would imagine it takes a bit of flexion in the hips to do it.
 
ByGosh, the way the PT showed me to get down and then up from the floor safely is: You need to have a chair, stand in front of it, bend down at the waist and place both hands on the seat, put your weight on your hands and bend down one knee at a time to the floor. To get back up you reverse it, if you feel you won't be able to stand back up, before you get down on the floor have a second chair, face one chair and put your hands on the seat, and kneel, put the second chair behind you, lift yourself from the floor and onto the second chair so you are sitting on it and from there you can stand. You are using your legs some but you are using your arms for the most part. But it makes it really easy to be able to get up off the floor doing it this way.
 
ByGosh...Not a teacher, I work as a office manager. The first few times I got down onto the floor wasn't pretty and back up again, even worse so by my PT showing me this way was helpful. I also wonder if at first a pillow for your knees wouldn't be a good idea too.
 
sandybeach thanks for posting that "get to floor and back" sequence! I am tickled-- it's very like what I was doing before surgery. I have first in-home PT later this morning, I may have to get them to talk me down off this ledge-- I feel like I could have ditched the walker last night and flown solo! They will have to straighten me out....and keep me off the floor...etc. I imagine what I have is a false sense of security...
 
zauberflöte you won't be ready for the down on the floor for a few weeks....but I might be wrong. How are you doing? Sounds like you have some of your energy back. Take it slow, you don't want to do anything that your OS didn't clear.
 
Week 7 update, I'm now walking all the time without the aid of a cane. My right leg, the newest hip, does get sore and weak after a while so when shopping I use the cart but I walk as much as I need to now in the stores and I don't get the next day sore from the muscles. I still struggle to get up stairs, I do need something to hang onto. I have to continue to work the ROM and get that to improve. My pain level is down to where I don't take any pain meds. I feel good and do pretty much anything that I want to, I guess I will be ready to go back to work on Monday. The past 2 weeks have gone by really fast so that's another indicator that I'm feeling good.
 
Great update Sandy, I have one more before I return to work. Best wishes to you on Monday as you return to work. Keep coming back here to update and we can check on one another on our ROM. My main exercise is the knee to chest once I get that accomplished I'll be golden.
 
Liveringer, I noticed a muscle in the back of my leg right under my butt that's acting up. When I bend over I feel it and when I walk very much it's hurting. I know it's a muscle that's becoming annoying just makes it painful to move around. I went out and weeded one of my flowerbeds when I stood up I felt it hurting so I quit the weeding. I am going to have to find out what exercises I need to stretch that out...I'm pretty sure that's all it needs. But yeah, I'm too hooked on this site to just walk away and not return. I have too many people on here to see how they do with their recoveries. You have to continue on here also after you get back to life. It's crazy to think that it's been 7 weeks since we had our surgeries. How is your knee to chest exercises coming? I have to do that to both my hips and the first one bends better than my last one. If my husband would help me with them I think I could do better. It helps to have someone push your leg down, gently though, it gets it stretched out.
 
I noticed a muscle in the back of my leg right under my butt that's acting up​
I know exacting the one you are talking about. In my case I lay on my back lift that leg straight up in the air, have your hubby push it towards you a little more. Have him hold it for about 10 seconds or so. It is just getting those hamstrings stretched. Today I went for my first real walk 30 minutes around a lake/park area about 5 minutes from where I live. It has great walkways, did it early this morning while it was somewhat still cool outside. When I returned home I iced my hip area. It did not cause any problems just precautions on my part (I just didn't want stiffness or burning so wanted to stop it before it developed).
It helps to have someone push your leg down, gently though, it gets it stretched out​
I totally agree with you here I think I'll have Ken start helping me with that.
 
Liveringer I will try that stretching exercise with my leg and see if that helps. It's been hurting for a few days. Every time I bend over it feel it as I stand back up again.
 
you won't be ready for the down on the floor for a few weeks....but I might be wrong. How are you doing? Sounds like you have some of your energy back. Take it slow, you don't want to do anything that your OS didn't clear.
sandybeach heh. Been awhile since i stopped by! You will be relieved to know that the floor is still just in my dreams! But I'm doing well just carrying the cane with me :)
Every time I bend over it feel it as I stand back up again.
this does not sound like hamstring? Wouldn't that be painful when you bent down? Well, for me it would be, anyway. I really hope you get this sorted out before grand return to work :) I hope it goes smoothly and you are delighted! :)

Today I went for my first real walk 30 minutes around a lake/park area about 5 minutes from where I live. It has great walkways, did it early this morning while it was somewhat still cool outside.
Liveringer ah Karen, cooool! wonderful walk! I'll bet it made you feel like a real person again :) How is the pitching (throwing?? I forget what you called it) going? Will you be able to keep up the practising when you too return to work?
 
Karen, cooool! wonderful walk! I'll bet it made you feel like a real person again :) How is the pitching (throwing?? I forget what you called it) going? Will you be able to keep up the practising when you too return to work?​
zauberflöte Chris, both phrases are correct. I should be able to still practice after returning to work.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom