THR Second new shiny new hip in and working good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel I have reached a new milestone. Today I didn't use my cane at all:happydance: Probably doesn't mean I will not need it at times and I will definitely use it if I feel I need it but slow and steady and I'm not pushing it. I have been walking around for several days with minimum use of the cane, I would rely on the cane when I felt pain in my hip. Today the pain seemed to be gone. I didn't take any pain pills at all today and have only been taking one a day for last few days. I have lots of muscles to build strong, I can't do steps without holding onto railings. I also got down on hands and knees today for first time, I didn't know what my plan to get back up would be but I was able to get back up with the use of a chair. It's almost like learning to walk all over again.
 
Yay for getting down on hands and knees! I'm not ready to try that one yet. I haven't used the walking stick since... I forget it's been so long. A couple of weeks?
 
What a great breakthrough sandybeach!
And so quickly too. I think your healing must be going very well for the new hip to be stable/strong enough to be 'caneless' Good on you!
Now, as far as the hands and knees go....what can I say. I am tempted to ask "What on earth possessed you?" Lol.
I have a mental image of me forever on the floor if I tried that one!
So happy for you! :dancy:
 
Allycat and Maeve Thanks for the encouragement:yes!: The craziness about the need for getting down on the floor was to find something in a low cabinet. My husband was outside at the time and I couldn't wait...I could have waited but I figured it's time to do this on my own now I didn't think I would break. I wasn't the most graceful getting up but the main thing is I did. Now I will practice, anyone have pointers for the proper way of getting up from the floor? I had a chair that I kind of propped my body over and used my feet to hoist myself up.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Second new shiny new hip in and working good.
Sandybeach, I don't think there's one proper way to get up from the floor. I think each of us finds whatever seems to work best for us and does it that way. The important thing is that we CAN get up :heehee: .
 
bottomshollow my PT said I shouldn't be getting down on the floor...oops. I didn't tell her already had a couple times. It's hard not to do some of these off limit things when you start to feel good and feel the need to just do it.

I have a new problem...anyone have trouble falling asleep? I have not been able to sleep until the wee hours in the morning. I go to bed feeling tired but then I just lay there, the longer I lay in the bed the more awake I become so I get up until I feel tired, thinking I will fall asleep I go back to bed and again will lay there and finally get up again. This has been going on now for a couple weeks. I am getting about 5-4 hours sleep each night. I didn't sleep last night until 5 am this morning and then I woke up around 7:30 am and I was able to fall asleep again but was up by 9:30. Does this sound like drug withdrawal? I am not taking any med's and I'm not in any pain.
 
BarbaraR, I am going to have to go buy something to help me sleep....benadryl huh? I will have get me some for tomorrow night, right now it's 1:15 am, so here I go again tonight. I can't sleep in tomorrow either.:gaah:
 
I went to bed around 2:00 am and laid in bed until I finally did fall asleep. Got up around 7:30 and this afternoon I could have fallen asleep so easily so I'm hoping for tonight :sleep:.
BarbaraR how is everything going now that your husband has been home for a while? How are you doing?
 
Ugh, sandybeach, I hope you get some sleep tonight. Thanks for asking about my husband. He's doing well, was cleared to drive today. I'm fine, thanks, also. Really busy at work. Which is mostly good, but cuts into my bonesmart time!
 
BarbaraR, That's good to hear that your husband is doing so well:) Now I'm feeling better all the time I want to get out do things that I haven't done for so long. Went to visit my aunt today with my mom and sister. It was a long ride but I handled it well, had a good time and had lots of energy still by the time I got home. I'm ready to start tackling spring cleaning, that wasn't done last year when I was in so much pain. I will go at it slowly and steady. I want to get some of that done before going back to work, I think when I go back that will take my energy for a while.
 
sandybeach, hope you got a good night's sleep last night. Good for you for being motivated to do spring cleaning. One of my daughter-in-law's friends who "loves to clean" and is looking for work during her break from college is coming over today to help us with that. Have a great weekend. XO
 
BarbaraR, I did sleep better last night but I was so exhausted I think I had to. I'm hoping for tonight now...I just don't want that to become a stresser for me. I like your idea of having someone come and help with the cleaning. But I can do it just will take me a little longer. I figure if I pick away at it I should be done sometime in the next two weeks:heehee: It looks like our weekend here in Minnesota should be our first good one, I hope to get out and enjoy it. I hope you have a good one as well.
 
sandybeach somehow I got behind on your thread by a couple of pages but caught up now. You are doing fantastic. Hummmm on the floor, I've been tempted but have not done it (I always think it when I am home alone so I don't do it just in case I can't get up). I go back to the OS Wednesday for my 6 week excited on seeing how things are going with the new hip. Don't know if anyone heard on the world news but near Ottawa, Canada yesterday morning they had a 5.0 earthquake, well.....I felt that here in CNY yesterday morning, it only lasted about 2 seconds or so.
 
Liveringer, I didn't hear about the earthquake. That's unusual for Canada isn't it? We were in Mexico once and they had an earthquake early one morning, I slept though it but the night before the waves got really big which we thought were strange but I suppose that was a warning. If you do try getting down on the floor, make sure there's a chair available to help you get back up.
 
Week 5 update, I am pretty much walking all the time without a cane while at home. If we go someplace I take it with just in case I feel I need it. I am going to get an extension to my sick leave from work for one extra week so I will have two weeks yet before I start back to work. Yesterday I was on my feet a lot and doing some things I usually don't do like climbing into my husband's truck going to a few yard sales. Helping my husband do a few things outside and being on my feet but I did have a chair near by and I did use it some. I think when you push yourself always have a safety net like keep your cane close or a chair so you can sit and don't do things where you can't have these. Right now I wouldn't do something that required a lot of walking where I couldn't sit and rest.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Second new shiny new hip in and working good.
and I like your idea of the "safety net". Smart move on your part. Such simple little things can make life so much easier as we continue to recovery. Keep up the good work!

Take care and keep us posted. We care.
[Bonesmart.org] Second new shiny new hip in and working good.
 
sandybeach Heck I just got brave enough to get into the reclining rocker that I have. The seat is slanted and I would have broke precautions (I use a pillow to build up that back end). I love yard sales can't wait to do that again!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom