Bilateral TKR Scheduled February 2016

I'm very glad to hear that you're doing so well at home.

Just walking around the house and doing a few Heel slides and how to do them is all the exercise you need for now.

Don't be in a rush to get off those pain medications. The time to start cutting back is when you find you're forgetting to take a dose when it's due and not feeling any more pain because of that. It's good to be clear-headed, but it's not good to reduce the meds too soon.
 
18 days out from operation now.
Had a good nap and small lunch now. During the night my meds were mixed up by being an hour early because I had set my alarm wrong. So took one oxy at 4 am, and the next one was due at 8 am which I didn't take. I did take my daily aspirin and tylenol this morning. Now it's 1 pm and I am feeling fine. I hope it doesn't come back and hit me with a vengeance, but I would think it would have reared it's ugly head at least a little bit by now.

I have been coloring in one of those color books for adults, which I should be drawing as I am an artist. lol But they are really relaxing because I don't have to figure it out, just fill it in. It's been about an hour and I was totally distracted.

Too tired to overdue much of anything. Just getting up to bathroom walking back and forth wears me out. I had put off this surgery for 3 years and because of that I have done less and less, just being on the computer doing my work and art. So it does not tempt me to be up and around cleaning more than I should. I have to relearn how to be a good cleaner ha ha, I need rehab for that.
 
Don't worry about the cleaning at all for now. Dust bunnies are your friends - they show that you have been resting properly.
[Bonesmart.org] Scheduled February 2016
 
So I felt fine till 6 pm then took one Oxycodone. Feels a bit better now, 7 pm. It wasn't an awful full on pain, just some twinges and zingers, but my strength was zapped. Feel more able to walk a bit now. Think I will try a schedule of 6 am, 12 N, 6 pm, 12 M for oxy. Still using tylenol, aspirin and stool softeners.

Just journaling.
 
Before we left for the hospital we made the ice bags found in the resources here but haven't had a chance to use them because Mayo Hospital sent us home with 4 nice ice packs with 2 covers. 4 ice packs so one set is always in the freezer while using the other set. They have a nice seam/split down the middle to help wrap, and 2 big velcro straps. One side of the cover is thick and the other side is thinner. They are awesome.
[Bonesmart.org] Scheduled February 2016
 
I got very similar set from my hospital (HCMC in Minneapolis), they are great


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Those ice packs look terrific. Just what you need!
 
My pt used similar ice packs and they were wonderful. It's great that you have two and trade off.
 
Have the blue ice bag but not the lovely pocket to slip it in. This looks so neat! I wrap mine in a towel.
 
The Velcro straps (at least on mine)are stretchy so it really stays on all around the knee.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
The straps are great. They seem too heavy lately though, the pain of the knee coming through more often now.

So now struggling with nausea a bit, or edginess, due to med schedule and trying to stretch it between doses so I can be awake more. Can't focus on much. Wishing things would calm down and get back to normal to a bit. Don't know how long it will take for my mind to be back.

@charmed-life Supposed to get really nice out today, thought I would do some "PT" by going down the stairs, and be a passenger while my husband does a few quick errands. You know how tempting this weather break is, I feel like if I don't get it out a blizzard will storm in tonight and it will be all over LOL
 
Made it down the 15 steps and into the car. Took a nice ride to enjoy the weather. It was so nice to get out and I didn't really suffer from it the rest of the day.
 
I'm glad you enjoyed your outing and didn't suffer for it later. Little trips like that are good for the spirit.
 
Yes we had a beautiful day today! Glad you got out - I did too and it was so nice!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
20 days out from operation.
Had my first in-home PT today. Just went through the paces, checking out what I can and can't do. He was pleased with my progress. I got 70 and 73 ROM which the PT thought was fine for now. My Mayo doctor wanted me to be at 90 by now, but I don't know if that is realistic?
The PT showed me a gentle stretch when going up the steps, just to rest one foot up and bend in a little. Will have 3 weeks with 3 times a week. If it gets too aggressive I will not allow it. Got out my floor mini pedal bike machine. The tension broke so now it is free flowing, that's ok for me for now I guess. Will start rocking a little bit with that. The PT suggested going to the mall to walk around. Don't know how I would deal with the exhaustion from that. Plus dragging a cushion around to sit on those benches. Plus don't want to go do that alone. I don't know.
 
You're doing OK.
I'd skip going to the mall - just walk around the house. If the weather isn't bad and if someone is around to help with the steps, you can walk around outside a little bit.
 
I think so too. So been sleeping since the PT left, very tired just from our little evaluation.

I'm up a huge inclined driveway with no sidewalks or anywhere to walk, so can't do a thing outside my home. Do have a nice beach park about a mile away I could get to. But right now, just going down the steps getting in and out of the car is enough, with no extra walking.
 
I'm so edgy and cranky and half sore. Not fully sore, I am surprised how less the pain is even when not taking any meds. But I have a raging headache, which I think is pain induced. Feeling bored but can't concentrate to really alleviate that boredom. Any more meds and all I do is sleep, then when awake feel even edgier. It's a waiting game huh?
 
Yup. You're stuck in the toughest part of the recovery. I cried almost every day. Your headache could be from stopping your meds if you didn't slowly cut back on them. I wound up going cold turkey a little more than 2 weeks post op and I had problems with my head and also my stomach. I remember just yelling at my daughter for really no reason at all. It's a phase and you will make it through.
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom