Bilateral TKR Scheduled February 2016

I only iced my knee from the back and sides for weeks. Also, I got a real sheepskin which helped with sore butt. I used it in my bed under my hips.


Pineapple
LTKR 2/2/16
RTKR Scheduled for approximately 5/15/16
 
I would lie on my side with a system of pillows around the knee to take the pressure off the posterior.
 
Day 23
Been trying the ice under the knees, that works nice. I am using a lot of pillows all over.

I am so exhausted and I know I have read it's normal but I feel such a failure. And I have read that can be normal too. Still haven't figured out showering. Can't stand long enough to do any cooking or hair or anything. In rehab they had me standing unaided 15 minutes, but I can't do that now. By the suppertime my legs feel like lead and I can barely move them. I am taking it easy, not overdoing it. Oh well.
 
Little early to think about cooking. I would bet you did a lot more resting when you were in rehab, now that you're home you are doing a bit more and your knees feel it. I know when I was in rehab I was in bed or a wheelchair unless I asked to take a walk or went to pt. It wasn't until week 4 that I could throw a meal in the crockpot, with a bilateral it may take you a bit longer. I also sat in the shower and while drying my hair. Take a look back at the activity progression chart to see what you should be doing. Patience is a wonderful commodity on this roller coaster ride.
 
Thanks @KarriB it's true. It's so hard to try to do the PT little exercises and deal with the energy drain. I read on here somewhere I should be up once an hour and just walk a bit. I think I will try that and make it a schedule instead of when I remember.
Even more exhausted today.
 
PT came and went. I'm not where I should be, I am falling behind, let's do more, do more on off days, try try try. Yeah right. So exhausted I can't catch my breath. Sat down with feet up and iced for 40+ minutes. Now I can't even get up to go to the bathroom, my knee hurts so much. But it usually goes away after I get up. Don't know if that is good or bad or normal. We need a "normal" book published. My walk in shower downstairs won't work, the seat is way too low, now have to get a seat for the tub shower upstairs. Spending lots of money on these things, reacher, shoe helper, bed rail, etc. Well it's worth it if it helps I guess.

Barely communicating here on the site and I am no help to anyone else right now. When I look back at those BTKR threads I used to read to prepare myself, I am in awe at how well they were able to relate each day and talk with others. They seem to have a lot more energy than me at this point. I am so grateful that they did such a good job recording their healing.
 
PT came and went. I'm not where I should be, I am falling behind, let's do more, do more on off days, try try try. Yeah right. So exhausted I can't catch my breath. Sat down with feet up and iced for 40+ minutes. Now I can't even get up to go to the bathroom, my knee hurts so much.
Try not to listen to your PT. There is no "normal" for a bilateral knee replacement. Where you are is where you're meant to be. Your knees know how quickly they want to recover.

There's no need to rush, no time limit in which you have to achieve certain goals - it's a myth that you have to achieve a certain ROM number, or all is lost.
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
ROM can continue to improve for a year, or even longer, after a TKR and there are no prizes for getting there sooner. You will get there and you aren't a failure. If your PT has a numbers goal for you, remember that doesn't have to be your goal.

Don't let your PT push you into trying to work harder. Your knees are telling you that you did too much as it is that's why you're in such pain.
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
TKR: work “smarter” and not “harder”
Life in the slow lane
Knee recovery - Lose the Work Ethic!!

It is normal to feel exhausted easily - Energy drain for TKRs - just watch that shortness of breath. If it continues, please consult your regular doctor.

Oh, and PS: You do need to ice for 45-60 minutes every time for it to do any good.
 
You're time to help and encourage will come, don't worry about that. The more you ice and elevate the better your rom will be because the swelling will go down.
 
Thanks @Celle and @KarriB

Last night was pretty awful. Slept til 2 am, then tried to get back to sleep til 5 am. Tossing, turning, crying, moving from bed to chair to hospital bed. Took a pill and fell asleep. Woke at 8:30 am with a terrible headache and eye ache which I always get from oxy. Hip is hurting from sitting/laying so much. Heels are so sore from touching anything I guess. Now this morning I can get comfortable anyway anyhow. yikes.

For some reason I have been icing to sleep but I don't think it's working anymore. It's just way too cold to sleep with at night. Do most people ice when sleeping? I just don't think I can do it anymore at night.
 
KayeKaye,
Try putting your cold packs in the refrigerator, or use more insulation between you and the ice so it is cool not cold. Just cooling your knee may feel better to you.
Don't compare yourself to anyone else, some are better able to post, others are not. Someone will read your thread and be relieved to read they are not alone.
 
Sorry you had such a rough time here. Sometimes you just need to take the day off! :alarm:
Rest, ice, elevate....minimum standing, just for the washroom and meeting basic needs like eating and grabing somthing to drink. I would just keep the stretches and leg extension in the schedule. I have given myself permission to do this and usually the next day, I am less sore and have more energy. It gives a break to your body and provides it with a chance to regenerate.
Good luck, it will get better!:console2:
 
Sleeping is awful, no doubt about it. I never thought of icing while sleeping until I read it here well after my TKR. But while icing I was always covered with blankets or electric throws.
Try to sleep whenever you can, because sleeping at night is difficult for almost all TKRs.
 
I had the heel pain issue too - with my hip replacement too. What helped me was having something elevating leg but leaving heel sticking out - not contacting the bed.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I'm sorry you had such a rotten night. It sometimes helps your back if you make sure you're lying flat.
You could also try elevating one leg at a time.

As for the sore heels, try to have nothing under them when you're elevating. If you look at the examples of how to elevate properly in this article Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key you'll see that most of them have the heel not touching the support system.
 
Just slept an hour almost, with feet up iced and back straight down flat. That helped a lot. Don't know what will help the horrible midnight hours. Time I guess.

I am having the hardest time elevating correctly, can't quite do it myself and my husband just doesn't understand it, like dyslexia or something because it's always wrong. The oddest thing about the doctor and the rehab was they thought nothing of elevating, said it didn't matter and pushed the idea of the leg being flat as more important. They put no value in elevating at all. Which of course I disagree with and keep trying to do. I bought one of the correct elevation pillows but it was so small it was like for a child so sent it back. Then husband got the wrong kind of straight up wedge. Showed him the correct elevating article but, again dyslexia set in. LOL he really is trying, and is staying home with me for 5 weeks.

@Creation Yes, why don't people understand that rest is so important. Instead of pushing so hard only to collapse. I don't see the point in that.

I usually do have my heels off the bed and no contact, they did that from day one at the hospital, but it seems to mess up and I wake up in pain. Or the pain is just so deep seated that it screams out at the least touch.
 
Day 26
Finally slept in my own bed. Went to bed about 11 pm and slept straight through to 4 am. Pretty happy about that. Tossed and turned, went to chair to hospital bed and took half an oxy and then slept till 7 am.

Had company bring dinner yesterday. They came about 5 pm and left at 7:30 pm. I was so exhausted I couldn't believe it. I didn't do much only stood 2 times. But just the mental acuity needed to keep up was exhausting. I could have gone to sleep at 8 pm but just knew it would mess up the whole night.

MUA again
So bright and early this morning the doctor from Mayo calls to check ROM and starts threatening MUA again. Told me the "window of opportunity is just next week, then it's gone". And they want to see me next week. I told him I wanted to go slow and he understood that I didn't agree but he kept pushing. They want the 90 and they want it now, and that's all there is to it. Maybe I should just say 90 next time they call LOL! He seemed honestly perplexed as to why I am not hitting 90 yet and wanted to know why I couldn't, if I was in too much pain. I told him the pain level is ok, but the main thing was my exhaustion level. He didn't understand that either and then told me to get a hemoglobin test next week. I then remembered when they released from rehab they said that my hemoglobin was just right at the point of being low. So, maybe that's something.
 
They want the 90 and they want it now, and that's all there is to it.
Well, that's just too bad for them. It's your knees and no one can force you to have a MUA.
They are completely misinformed about the window of opportunity. It just isn't true.
 
Hi,
I went back in my old posts from my 1st TKR in 2011. After 3 weeks my ROM was 74. I had a lot of inflamation and that was my biggest problem affecting my range. Here is my progression for that knee:
week 3- 74 deg
week 4- 85 deg +11
week 5- 97 deg +12
week 6- 101 deg +4
week 7- 104 deg +3
Week 8- 105 deg + 1
Week 11- 112 deg + 7
And it continued progressing over the following year. This is specific to my knee, but it shows that the knee can continu to progress in time.

The exercise that help me the most was the sliding lying on my back with foot on the wall. It helps with inflamation having less water in the knee because your leg is above your heart.
Good luck! [Bonesmart.org] Scheduled February 2016
 
To further reassure you, in addition to Creation's experience, here is what another poster wrote (thank you, @Campervan ):
I had a slow recovery. Here's my flex measurements at various points:
92 - 8 weeks post op
105 - 10 weeks
107 - 5 months
110 - 6 months
112 - 7 months
116 - 9 months
119 - 11 months
118 - 1 yr
120 - 1yr 2 months
125 - 1 yr 8 months
 
I have to tell you that week 3 and 4 were the worst for me. Wanted to get ROM, tired of the whole thing, working working working just to get to next day. A lot of it was the meds making me cry, making me crazy, making me exhausted. But HOLD ON! Hang in there. I know you can't see light at end of tunnel but you will . I am 14 BTKR and so happy! It is hard work but so worth it. Don't beat yourself up for anything right now. Just do what you have to do!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom