Bilateral TKR Scheduled February 2016

Thanks! that video is very interesting, will have to try that. So I took the meds and still couldn't sleep last night. I scratched the backside of my knee all night. I didn't break the skin and put coconut oil on it to soothe it. It's just that nighttime crud.
 
Thanks @newlybionic Aloe is very cooling and might be a good try. Will have to dig through my cupboards to find it. It seems the better I feel the later I want to stay up so as not to fight with sleeping even though I am dead tired.
 
Kaye!!! So good to hear from you!! I was right there with you at 9 weeks from what I remember. Was absolutely bored out of my mind, still taking meds, not sleeping and all the things you are describing. Long, long, long, frustrating recovery. It does seem true from what everyone has said that after 12 weeks things seem to brighten up a bit. I also know what you mean about getting scared over peoples’ postings regarding complications.

I am at 17 weeks and have been back to work for over a month. I still have pain, especially in my right knee, which feels suspiciously like nerve injury. I take Tylenol a couple of times a day. I am trying to walk on the days when I don’t work and do 30 min. on the stationary bike a few times a week. It’s hard to say how far “recovered” I am, maybe 60-75%? The legs are still pretty weak. I am still crawling out of depression triggered by helplessness and lack of regular routine.
I am pretty sick of people asking if I was glad I did it!! Still too soon. The knees do certainly look and feel different than they used to and that is a good thing.

I am optimistic about recovery and I hope you are too. I know how hard it is to see that at this stage.
A big hug to you!
Nancy
 
Thanks @Anchovy for replying . Glad to hear of the 12 week mark, will be looking forward to it. I'm sorry you are struggling with the depression that can accompany this. I really experienced the helplessness and lack of regular routine the last three years while I was waiting to get my knees done. I ended up doing just about nothing but sitting and being on the computer so I am used to this, ha! Yes everyone asks if I am glad I did it and they never fail to tell me to "work hard and make it hurt or you won't get well". Little do they know it's the complete opposite.

So glad for this site to meet others going through the same thing. 75% sounds good, keep me posted with your recovery if you can.
 
Day 57

More of no sleeping. But at least I tried, I went to bed then got up around 2 and went to the hospital bed in the living room. Put on lotion, couldn't find Aloe, put on ice packs, took an oxy hours before so took 2 tylenol. Couldn't sleep at all so my cat came and joined me purring away while I listened to some Korean music on headphones and hummed till around 4:30 am. Does that count as at least resting? Ha!

[Bonesmart.org] Scheduled February 2016

Cat, hospital bed, walker, what more could I want? Sleep!


My favorite Korean singer, Rain Jung Ji Hoon

Husband got up at 5:30 and I woke right up. He made me breakfast and left for work. Fell asleep for about an hour and half. Sat around with my coffee till 11:30 am and decided to get out and make myself tired for tonight. Went to Aldi's, a small grocery store and walked through picking up a bag of groceries. That was a first, I have never walked through a store yet but holding onto the cart was helpful. Lugged up the food, made some coleslaw and hard boiled eggs and now am collapsing till Husband comes home to grill the steaks.

Here's hoping for tonight!
 
KayeKaye,
Thank you so much for sharing!! Korean music....who would have thought?! Do you like Korean food as well? I do.
Yes, resting does count. The elusive sleep will come, little by little.
Sounds like you are doing pretty well given a trip to Aldi. Holding on to those carts makes all the difference. The shopping takes all your energy.
I forced myself to walk my entire "old walk" with my dogs, about 2 miles. Still pretty hard. I have to say that these legs still don't feel like mine. Franken knees. They click and they clonk with almost every step. According others, that is normal too.

Here 's wishing you a restful night!

Nancy
 
Wow 2 miles @Anchovy ! I can't imagine, its been ten years since I could do that. Shopping carts are excellent, and baby strollers. I wish I still had a baby stroller, that would help with outside. Maybe I will look for one on craigslist ha!

I read here that some people get used to the clunking and it doesn't register after time.

@newlybionic I found my big bottle of Aloe gel with a pump on it. It feels really nice. Thanks for suggesting it.
 
Day 58

Well I got some sleep! I put my big 5 x 9 surgical dressing bandages back over the incisions to keep them from getting irritated and it helped keep down the scratchy buggy feeling. I had taken a break from it because the tape was irritating my skin and making sores. That and being totally exhausted. Don't which was more helpful. Looking forward to a repeat performance today. Might go to Trader Joes today because it's another little store I can manage to get through. That and stop by the beach, it's supposed to hit 70 today!

KayeKaye, Do you like Korean food as well? I do.
Nancy

@Anchovy No I haven't really tried it more than Kimchee which is way too strong for me. Do you like very spicy food? What would you recommend trying? I have had more Japanese food as we had Japanese foreign exchange students for a couple years. I will be going to try some Korean with a friend who has lived in Korea and is a linguistic specialist in Korean. Will see what it's like. Got hooked on the Korean dramas and music long ago. haha.
 
Not all Korean food is spicy. Bulgogi (a marinated beef) is very good. They use lots of little pickled side dishes that are very tasty and mostly not spicy. We have a couple of Korean grocery stores in the Twin Cities and they have small deli-like foods that are very good.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@charmed-life I have seen those Korean restaurants. Don't know which one we will go to yet. My nieces went to one in Eden Prairie that they really liked. (Got her hooked on Kdrama and music ha) Heard a lot about bulgogi and that people like it. I don't eat noodles (starches) so will have to look through that. Do you have a restaurant you have been to that you liked here?

Thanks @referee54 I feel the same way. Slept from 11 to 9 am. I really needed it!!
 
We go to Kings in the New Brighton/Fridley area - little more upscale and Dong Yang at 735 45th Ave NE, Minneapolis - grocery store and small cafeteria that is exactly like street food/small cafes in Korea, right down to the older lady yelling at you in Korean if you don't bus your table!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Day 58

Well I got some sleep! I put my big 5 x 9 surgical dressing bandages back over the incisions to keep them from getting irritated and it helped keep down the scratchy buggy feeling. I had taken a break from it because the tape was irritating my skin and making sores..

Have you tried paper tape? It is gentle on the skin, and doesn't cause skin reactions in most cases.
 
Have you tried paper tape? It is gentle on the skin, and doesn't cause skin reactions in most cases.
Hi Sonja! Yes that is what I use. For some reason it just didn't agree with me. Now I am putting in different spots and in smaller amounts, though some of it tends to come off during the night.

By the way, how do I get the two K's under my avatar picture? I can't seem to find any info on that.
 
My PT had me put on an ace bandage for swelling - it probably helped some but definitely takes care of the funny feeling of being touched while trying to sleep.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Day 59

After small shopping excursion I had another good nights sleep thanks to the lotions and bandages. Keeping the bandage off during the day and letting clothes touch and I keep touching it, slight rubbing to get it used to touching. Trying to walk more with my cane, and even doing some walking without the cane or walker. Trying to walk correctly lifting my feet and land heel to toe. Course I have the walls and counters to lean on a bit. Getting some big zingers right now in the left knee, don't know why. The knees feel awkward and like they weigh a hundred pounds until I start walking a bit. Still have the tight band feeling that wraps the whole knees. But sooooo much better than before.
 
I'm glad you're doing well. It does seem very strange trying to walk the right way after surgery. It will get better as time goes on.
 
By the way, how do I get the two K's under my avatar picture? I can't seem to find any info on that.
Kaye, you have to be a member of the BoneSmarties Club House to get those two Ks.
Here is a link to the thread that explains the rules and benefits:
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/sr-bonesmarties-club-applications-invited.10033/

I think that, in addition to the rules as stated there, you also have to make at least 5 posts per week and show support for other members.
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom