Bilateral TKR Scheduled February 2016

That's all good news. I'm so glad your therapist listened to your needs. :yes!: :yay: :flwrysmile:
 
Day 43

Pretty good night, got up at 3:30 am but slept on the recliner till 8 am. Need to start standing more, so I can shower easier. Took a shower, covering my incisions. The incisions are pretty good and only a few steri strips left on any more. Still pretty tired and not doing much of anything.

Looks like some of my posts are lost. But to report on Easter, I went to a restaurant and sat in a wheelchair with my legs elevated for most of the time, for 2 1/2 hours with no problem. Then started falling asleep so my husband and I went home. But I didn't fall asleep at home, was tired but stayed up till bedtime. Had no problem from sitting.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Scheduled February 2016

Incisions looking good. Knees still a bit swollen but the rest of the surrounding area is not swollen anymore.
 
Day 44

While the incisions are looking good, they are really sensitive. I am keeping them loosely bandaged, just a tape on top and bottom with lots of give over the knee. They don't like clothing to touch, sheets, or towels. The only thing I can cover with is my big white soft fuzzy housecoat. I keep lightly massaging the area to get the sensitivity down a but. Any good ideas, anyone else have such touchy areas? Wondering how long this stage last.
 
For me it has lasted awhile after both surgeries. PT says to lightly touch with various textured items to help get it desensitized.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
My scar is terribly sensitive. An icepack on it to go to sleep helps otherwise I have a strange memory foam half moon pillow I sort of prop on it's end to keep the duvet off my scar.
I too am being discharged by physio, I'll have had 3 sessions, again the therapist respected my wishes and I'm grateful for that.
 
Your incisions are looking good.
I also had a lot of sensitivity. I have been gently rubbing several times a day my knee. I found that has help. I have large sweat pants which I have been wearing almost all the time. They have a wide leg so the rubbing is minimized. It does get better with time.
 
Thanks all. I guess this sensitivity is just something I have to keep working at and waiting.

I am discharged from PT today. They didn't do anything today but watch me walk with a cane and go up and down the stairs. He said that I should be able to drive soon. I am taking 1 oxy at 10 pm and 1/2 oxy at 2 or 3 am to go back to sleep. That should be out of my system by afternoon he said. That is exciting. Not that I will get out of the car and go shopping or anything, but just to get out and drive to the park would be nice once in a while. I think I will wait and test a drive with my husband in the car, though he never likes my driving in the first place, ha ha.
:happydance:
 
I'm glad you're finished with your PT. Your incisions look great. You'll find once you're able to get out of the house and drive that you will start to have the feelings of normalcy again. I remember just driving to a parking lot in a nearby park to just get a change of scenery and get rid of my cabin fever.
 
Looks like you're doing well!
 
He said that I should be able to drive soon.
That's good news.

Before I started driving again, I would practice getting into and out of the car.
I also sat in the car with the engine turned off and practiced moving my feet from one pedal to another, and doing imaginary emergency stops. I drive a stick-shift car, so I also had to be sure I could change gears smoothly.
 
Day 47

Good idea @Celle I will practice before turning the key on. I do wonder what it will be like when I push down with my leg on the pedal. It should be like the pedal machine I have on the floor. Excited to give it a try soon. @newlybionic that's exactly what I want to do, just drive down a few blocks to the beach and watch the water, just to break the boredom. Listen to some CD's and read in the car for maybe an hour.

I am doing pretty good @kneeper thanks, the biggest complaint is just the unending little pains and jabs. Sometimes the whole area is just going nuts with little pains. Can't wait for this to start settling down a bit.

Walking is going ok, not really off the walker totally but using the cane a little bit. But I do find myself walking unaided between short points in the house. When I stand too long without any support it starts to hurt in the inside part of the knee, maybe too much weight bearing is all I can think of. Sore butt is a problem, just too much sitting, moving from chair to bed and back and forth. Still working on rubbing the incision to keep it from being too sensitive. Covering it when I get dressed to go out and at night with 9" surgical dressing bandages or it drives me nuts when sleeping. Only 3 little steri strips still left on, they should be off soon this week. I am letting them fall off though and not tugging at them at all. I don't want to break open any skin at this point.

When out to visit in laws. Had to use a wheel chair at the building because it's so huge and it's a long way to their apartment. Lasted about an hour at their place, the furniture is not made for bad knees and I couldn't put my feet up anywhere. I almost fell asleep at the table getting that exhausted feeling.
 
I am doing pretty good @kneeper thanks, the biggest complaint is just the unending little pains and jabs. Sometimes the whole area is just going nuts with little pains. Can't wait for this to start settling down a bit.
Is it like little firestorms of zingers? I got those, but luckily not for long.

Walking is going ok, not really off the walker totally but using the cane a little bit. But I do find myself walking unaided between short points in the house. When I stand too long without any support it starts to hurt in the inside part of the knee, maybe too much weight bearing is all I can think of.
Probably so. Just standing is tough at first. Try not to stand for long, especially without support--yet.
 
Is it like little firestorms of zingers? I got those, but luckily not for long.

Probably so. Just standing is tough at first. Try not to stand for long, especially without support--yet.

Good way to explain it, a firestorm of little zingers. Usually in the evening, makes me nuts. Then I take my one oxycodone around 10 and go to bed. Daytime I don't notice it as much.
 
The zingers will go away eventually. Sounds like you are doing well, you are still early in recovery, you will get there before you know it.
 
These zingers are a nuisance, aren't they? They happen because the nerves that were cut during surgery are trying to repair themselves - and most of them do.
The zingers are little electrical messages, like tiny lightning strikes.
 
I am one pretty happy camper today! I drove 10 miles to a store and back tonight and it was great. My husband went in and did the shopping, not up to that yet, but just to know I can drive is a game changer. So excited.
 
Great news about the driving! :yes!::happydance::yay:
You're getting your freedom back.
 
Day 49 Week 8

Still feeling elated about being able to drive and deciding when to go out today. It's a bit chilly, so won't be sitting at the beach for long in the car. Should have had my husband leave the car with the heated seats home for me.

The last steri strip fell of today! Now I will wait a few days or a week then see about swimming.

Walking more with a cane in the house. The walker is becoming awkward and a lot of work now, it doesn't flow very easy. The good thing about the walker is that it has a tray to carry things, but since the flow is jerky over the floor thresholds my coffee spill. So carried my coffee in one hand and had the cane in the other hand today. Even sat down in the recliner holding my coffee, that's a first!
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom