Bilateral TKR Scheduled February 2016

Sounds like you are doing great! Freedom has finally showed up with car driving! Please post on your first experience. I will be able to drive again in 1.5 weeks and I am a bit nervous about it, not knowing what to expect with my right knee.
Good luck on the 1st drive and enjoy your new freedom!
 
@Creation looks like my post about driving disappeared. Did you see it?

If not I guess I will re write it, hopefully there won't be two of them the next time I check. :heehee:

The driving came quite easy, I was a bit uneasy at first but backed out of my steep long driveway, drove a few side streets then turned onto the 2 lane highway and went to the store 10 miles away. My husband went in for the shopping, I am not up for that yet. I haven't had any bad repercussions from driving. It didn't hurt, but I could feel the knee as I was driving, it just felt different. I had the energy and the strength for the brake and gas pedal just fine. I went out again yesterday to drive around the neighborhood for half an hour and it was fine. I will go out again today. It makes me go up and down the steps in the house to get to the car which is a good exercise. It really makes me yearn to get out and go into my favorite stores but I just don't think I can manage that yet.
Hang in there, another week and half will go right by and then you too will that driving freedom :dancy:
 
Day 52

I think I cracked a tooth. Will have to get into the dentist but that won't be till Monday at best and I can't call the doctor either till Monday. I suppose I could try the emergency service but I am not sure so why call the doctor. Wonder what this will imply. I have seen others have teeth trouble that ended up with infections in the knee. Hoping and praying this doesn't happen. Kind of freaking out today.
 
Thanks so much @Celle . I do worry easily when it comes to surgery, with my track record of getting staph infections. Have to say though that this has been overwhelming positive. My Dentist office called my last week for a cleaning and when I told them I had my knees done they said it's their policy to not even see me for 6 months and that I have to be on antibiotics forever if I see them for any work or cleanings. They won't let me come in. I will have to ask again or find a new dentist without this policy. Thanks again, good article.
 
I understand your dentist not wanting to to a cleaning, a cracked tooth is another story they need to see you ASAP to take a look and take care of it, no matter where you are in recovery.
Call them Monday, tell them you have a cracked tooth and need to be seen. If you need something done, they (or your OS) can order antibiotics, for your follow up appointment.
Good Luck,
 
Thanks @Pumpkln I will be calling Monday. I really don't care if they need me to take antibiotics to make them feel safe, just wonder why they do that when it's clear that the ADA isn't recommending it. I think my dentist said he will write the Rx for the antibiotics but will find out Monday.
 
The different protocols are astounding! My OS does want me on a good dose of antibiotics, but just one large dose one hour prior to dental cleaning. My dentist believes it's not necessary but defers to the surgeon.

My mother had two knees replaced - same office, different surgeon - and he's never even brought up the subject!
 
Day 54

Called the Dentist have an appointment tomorrow, Tuesday. Called the Mayo office and the doctor told me they would prefer if I could put it off any treatments for 3 to 6 months after surgery, so that is middle May to middle August. But he said if it's an emergency they will deal with it. He also said I had to take a dose of Amoxicillin an hour before I go to the dentist so I got that filled. Interesting that neither the doctor nor dentist regard the ADA release about antibiotics not being needed.

In any case I am anxious to see what the dentist thinks.
 
Interesting that neither the doctor nor dentist regard the ADA release about antibiotics not being needed.
My OS is very much the same---take the antibiotics---the dentist simply shrugs his shoulders and says that it is "his call"---the OS's call---so he just goes along with it.
 
Day 55

Took my antibiotics and went to the dentist. My dentist said they prefer to the OS but that he realized that the ADA recommends no antibiotics. So. Anyway I was pleasantly surprised that it wasn't a bad break and he just "sanded" it down with no numbing or anything. Whew! Thank God. A few years ago I had 3 root canals, that was one reason it took me so long to get my knees done. Now onward and forward.
:ok::flwrysmile:
 
I'm glad your tooth was fixed easily. Good job you got it done, or it could have got worse.
 
Yes I am so glad it was an easy fix. After the dentist I went on my first shopping spree, my husband was with me and we used a wheel chair. I didn't think I could walk through there, tho I did walk through the dentist office. Grabbed a few new tops and capris since losing weight. Then went to Chipolte to get lunch and came home tired out.

So now it's bedtime and the knees are starting to just drive me nuts. They get really fussy when a blanket touches them or even my slacks, but it's so cold I have to keep covered. They start just firing off all kinds of little jabby stabs and hurt like crazy. I usually take an oxycodine and go to sleep. But I would really like know how long this is going to go on and if I should start "toughing it out" or not. It's now week 9.
 
Happy to read your tooth was easily fixed, what a relief for you.
Some members have found this helps with nighttime pain.
 
It's never a good time to 'tough it out'. You'll get no sleep, can begin to feel depressed and that pain can also lead to greater swelling and stiffness. Don't worry the time will come when you will naturally start missing the meds. There's no rush.
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom